ear issues

2cockers

wondering if any spaniel owners have any issues with the ears of your dogs. I've got a male cocker whos one ear is very funky. I put cleaner in both dogs ears regularly because they do get dirty but this appears infected. ive swabbed it(which he hates) and its helped a little, but still pretty smelly. it dosnt seem to bother him really hes not scratching it and it dosnt hurt him to touch it. Anyone recomend a different cleaner, is peroxide safe to use in ears? I appreciate any help.

I'd take him to a vet and get some antibiotics cream for the ear. But if you wish to prolong it this might work. If you are dealing with a brown sticky gook. Try putting a few drop of Mineral oil or a similar oil. I have heard baby oil, cod liver oil and all sorts of such oils take your pick. The oil will work down and lift the gook up. Keep cleaning it out often and re-doing the oil.........Bob

Sounds like it's time to see the vet. If he has an infection you really need to get it taken care of before it cause a serious problem. A $50 vet bill now could save you a larger bill down the road.

If you are not ready for the vet get online and find the nearest Happy Jack dealer. I have had good luck with their products. It is hard to say what it is but if you have a fungus some antibiotics might actually make it worse. Could be ear mites or draining abcess. Peroxide is not really that good. Pretty close to brain if it is infection you can get in trouble. Good luck.

Long eared dogs are very susceptible to a number of ear infections. If you've ruled out ear mites, get some Otomax ear ointment from a vet or pet store and treat the dog twice daily for a week to ten days. I had a male setter that was treated by a vet for bacterial infection for almost half a year. The dog go to the point he had to lean against the fence when he walked to stay vertical. Went to a new vet and she concluded it was fungal, not bacterial. Put him on otomax and in 10 days he was back to normal. When you get the infection cleared up, trim the dog's ears on the inside to allow more air flow and shorten the outside to make the ears lighter so they don't fold shut so tightly.

You have yeast infection I bet. You can take a swab in to have it checked. It can be cleared up with momentamax, but you have to use it carefuly, 6-7 day period, then 5 or so days off then treat again. Regular ear cleaning won't work. But yeast infection can get serious so get it checked. It can cause a stroke and the face to actualy cave in. A guy we train with has a dog now that that happened to. Using Momentamax wrong can cause deafness in the dog. But it is a great product. I have used it with no trouble. I had the problem till I switched from Proplan Performance to Native. I am convinced the infection constantly was from the food. I have not had a single issue since the switch.

Once you get the ear infection cleared up, just flush the dog's ears once a week or so with Epiotic fluid and it should be fine.

Back