Ear Infections

I've got a Lab that's had several ear infections this year. I know it's common in lab's, but I'm interested to know if anyone has any suggestions on products that will help keep his ears dry. I've heard about taking rubbing alcohol and diluting it with water to help dry them out but I'm a little leary about trying it. Any suggestions on proven homemade remedies or products I can buy would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using baby or olive oil on my dogs ears. After hunting his ears would get very irritated and look like an infection was coming. A day after the hunt he would develop wet areas and then those would eventually dry up and get real scaly. It was nasty.

I put some oil on a cotton ball and wipe them down. Then one drop in each ear and rub the ears good while he moans and groans. A dry cotton ball to get all the stuff that has loosened up, and he is happy.

His ears have looked great since starting this 3 weeks ago. Practically no wax and he isn't itching or shaking his head as much as before.

My dog used to get "stinky ear" as I called it, vet said it was yeast infection. I fought it all the time, ear rinse and cream, swapping his ears, basically constantly fighting it. It got real bad in the summer when his only exercise is swimming. Switched him to a grain free diet and the "stinky ear" went away, not saying it will work for all dogs but it sure did for mine.

I've got a Lab that's had several ear infections this year. I know it's common in lab's, but I'm interested to know if anyone has any suggestions on products that will help keep his ears dry. I've heard about taking rubbing alcohol and diluting it with water to help dry them out but I'm a little leary about trying it. Any suggestions on proven homemade remedies or products I can buy would be greatly appreciated.

I've always had issues with my Labradors and their ears. Some dogs were worse than others. With the lab I own now, I've noticed his ear issues have diminished and he no longer sheds fur all over our house:thumbsup:

About 4 months ago I started to incorporate meat, eggs, vegetables into his daily diet(and my wife's dog's diet too). For example, one day they get a little meat, another some vegetables.

After 3-4 weeks they stopped shedding (shedding used to be very bad with these two) and my labs ears issued went away.:)

Nick

Said it on here many times. Same with the food. Corn and grain free no more trouble. Then just rinse with epi otic ear wash once every few months. Used to feed pro plan all the time. Trouble all the time. Went Diamond naturals and no trouble for 3 years now. Went to proplan puppy last month or two for River and the kids, no diamond naturals chicken puppy in town. Instant horrible ear infection. God I was mad at my self. That's just a hunch for me but as they say, I look out the corner of the eye at grain infested foods.;) The food I use now is great. Cheaper, better and less stool, more in the bag, and builds muscle, with plenty of gitty up:thumbsup: Labs are not known like some breeds for loads of trouble, so I would start with the diet. If you swab it, and take a q tip to the vet to see if it is yeast. You can get some meds. Cleaning will not kill yeast. Something like Momentamax is the norm. But some meds be careful with. Don't just buy it with out talking to the vet as how to use.

Last edited:
google " blue power ear treatment" use it ....especially after water work

apply it outside because the dog will shake his head and its impossible to get the stains out of anything

google " blue power ear treatment" use it ....especially after water work

apply it outside because the dog will shake his head and its impossible to get the stains out of anything

X2 I am lucky and have never had an ear issue. But I lave heard this stuff is awesome. If you go to the "Retriever Training Forum" (RTF) there is a thread with the recipe

Steve

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Right now I've got some Epi-Otic ear wash that I put in and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then some drops of Otomax for the infection, both of which I got from the vet. Food could be one place to look. I feed him Canidae, all life stages. It's not grain free but it's not a walmart special either. He's also had issues with itching, mostly in the summer. I think I'll do some research on some different foods and also look into the blue power ear treatment.

look closely at nutrisource chicken grain free, I've done a lot of research on dog food and that's what I now use

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Right now I've got some Epi-Otic ear wash that I put in and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then some drops of Otomax for the infection, both of which I got from the vet. Food could be one place to look. I feed him Canidae, all life stages. It's not grain free but it's not a walmart special either. He's also had issues with itching, mostly in the summer. I think I'll do some research on some different foods and also look into the blue power ear treatment.

I was told recently to get a true evalution of a food you need to feed for 3 months. Sounds like a long time to me but this was from a DVM I respect

It's kinda funny that I have never had an ear issue and my boys truly don't shed that badl... I doubt that's a coincidence. Hmmm food for thought ( pun intended) I currently have 3 dogs and feed 3 different foods. It's a pain in the arse but it works

Here ya go. This is the same thing as the Blue Power Bobman was referring to.

This works well to keep the ears not only dry, but to treat yeasty ears as well. You can find most if not all the ingredients at a Pharmacy. The one ingredient that you possibly might have trouble finding is Gentian Violet 1% solution. I found everything I needed at a Wally world pharmacy.

Ear Cleanse Formula (Purple Stuff)

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel) I like Witch Hazel
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).
Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment for yeast infection:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.
All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU USE IT, GENTIAN VIOLET WILL STAIN ANYTHING IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH !!

Last edited:
Here ya go. This is the same thing as the Blue Power Bobman was referring to.

This works well to keep the ears not only dry, but to treat yeasty ears as well. You can find most if not all the ingredients at a Pharmacy. The one ingredient that you possibly might have trouble finding is Gentian Violet 1% solution. I found everything I needed at a Wally world pharmacy.

Ear Cleanse Formula (Purple Stuff)

16 oz. bottle isopropyl alcohol (or witch hazel) I like Witch Hazel
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution

Mix all ingredients in the alcohol bottle & shake. (make sure you shake before every application).
Treatment: Fill ear with solution & massage gently for 30 seconds and wipe with a tissue. Fill a second time and just wipe without massaging. The dog will shake the excess out. Be careful, the Gentian Violet could stain. I use a eye dropper to fill the ear.

Treatment for yeast infection:
2 times per day for the first 2 weeks
1 time per day for the next 2 weeks
1 time per month thereafter

If you are concerned about the alcohol burning the inside of the ear (it could if the dog has been scratching its ear), then you can substitute the alcohol with witch hazel.
All ingredients are available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid is usually in the First Aid section where you find the alcohol. The Gentian Violet will be the hardest to find and may need to be special ordered.

BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU USE IT, GENTIAN VIOLET WILL STAIN ANYTHING IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH !!

This stuff works great, the alcohol has worked best for me. I mix mine in a mason jar, shake before each use. I use a small syringe, large cotton balls, and paper towels.

Back