E-collar use>

bobeyerite

What rules do you hunters use when using an E-Collar on your dog? I have a few hang-ups about them and I want to see what you hunters say first.---Bob

What rules do you hunters use when using an E-Collar on your dog? I have a few hang-ups about them and I want to see what you hunters say first.---Bob

first off i too had alot of questions about using the ecollar on my dog. like when he is on point and starts creeping the bird do you nick him or not? when he is retreving and bird and not bringing it back or eating or chewing at the bird. i took him to a trainer and got him collar conditioned and it worked great with my dog. just giving him a little nick he knows he is doing something wrong and fixes it himself. but every dog is different

I introduced one to my dog when i first started hunting with him. maybe I am lucky, but I only had to use correction a couple times on a very low setting. Now, he wears it, but I never have to use it, ever.

I have used them for off and on 25 years or so when the huge ones first came out. The one thing that I will be very carefull with is useing it with a retrieve involved. Yes it works well on some dogs but another will never pick up a bumper again. Same with a bird.You realy have to be able to read a dog first and tell if it is what I call soft first. I saw a guy forget to turn off or simply remove his bark collar and run his dog, beautifull running dog. It shocked the heck out of him and for a long time after that the dog just would not cast off, Like when you say find em tony, he associated the comand with the constant jolting and that was the end of that dogs beautifull pattern for now. I will recomend to anyone to realy do your home work on these and be carefull. What works for one wont always work for another. But when used properly they are one of the most valueable tools to train with.

My basic rule and what I tell everyone that asks. It is an Enforcer. I make sure Tony knows what I have commanded and then repeat the command as I nick him. You said it FCS. Tony is a very soft dog and you really have to be careful with him. There are times I would like to nick him in the field. But I don't dare for he could stop hunting for me. Heck he is so soft just a good chew-out will have him walking "at heel" for 5 minutes. Without me commanding him there. But I feel always make sure your dog knows the command and what it means before using a e-collar. Tony loves his e-collar. He see it and comes and sits waiting for me to put it on him. If he is in the kennel and I put directly into the SUV. He will jump in his travel kennel. Turn around and come out half way for me to put on his e-collar. He wears it all the time, when we are either just out exercising or hunting. We do one or the other every day possible.---Bob

Last edited:
My basic rule and what I tell everyone that asks. It is an Enforcer. I make sure Tony knows what I have commanded and then repeat the command as I nick him.

I would agree 100%. The dog needs to know the command first. I started hunting my pup this year at 4 months. He wore the collar to get used to it but I did not use. He chased a lot of birds up way to far ahead. Towards the end I used it when he got ranging long at this point he knew what was right and what was wrong. The only time I turn it up is when they are about to do something that will get them hurt, or they are about to kill a cat on the father in-laws farm. My 4 year old lab wears it but I probably only nicked him 2 or 3 times last season.

Mollermd, you raise the point of getting hurt or doing wrong. The only time I ever really cranked the dial on Tony. He was a young pup and he was chasing a deer. You can get a health fine here for allowing your dogs to do that. He yelped and jumped in the air and turned a few circles and came running to me for protection. Now when he sees a deer he runs to me and stands by my side and watches them go.--Bob

Last edited:
I've used an e-collar for 13 years on my Brittanys. But I have only used it to enforce a command. Mainly getting the dog to come or turn in the field. Never for any other purpose or behavioral problem. The male Britt, I had to put down last September, was a strong headed dog and needed to be reminded a couple times every time in the field. My female rarely needs a collar. And when I do have my Dogtra on her I can control her with the vibrate button if needed.

I think an e-collar can get over used as some people think it's a quick easy fix to a problem when in fact it's a lack of proper training by the owner.

These folks are right, do the training first then introduce the collar. Done correctly, it can make life easier for the dog and you as well. I'm getting a bit of grey on my muzzle and the aspect of running a youngster down for the reset and shake isn't very appealing anymore. After training with the collar, all I have to do is nick them and they fix it without any emotion from me or any need for me to have to hover over the dog. Makes for less stress and better hunts.

Back