E collar introduction

When I was young my dad and his buddies all ran stubborn English Pointers. The really young ones would get a length of heavy chain to slow them down a bit in the mornings. I always felt bad for the intact males as they often bloodied the old nutsack. But they didn’t seem to care. Occasionally the really stubborn ones might get a load of birdshot at 60 yards 😮. I saw many with blood spots on their fur. Certainly a different time, dogs were only kept to hunt a few times a year. Mine are treated pretty good.

My grandfather and I had Beagles back in the 80's to hunt rabbits here in the northeast. We lost those dogs more times than once. I only wished they had the technology they have today back then for dog training, and hunting.

I remember being so stressed out when they got on rabbits and the bark was getting further and further away. My grandfather would lay his hunting jacket down in the woods where we parked and take me to have breakfast. We'd come back 45 minutes later and the dogs would be laying on his jacket. I was fortunate enough to be the oldest grandchild and experience what a great hunting partner he was. He passed very young while feeding his bulls

Before shock collars the excepted form of correction at least in my world was to run your dog down and give it a thumping. It was at the least cruel and sometimes bordering on inhumane, not to mention the fact that it seldom done any good!!

A5 Sweet 16: "[An ecollar is] a corrective tool only; not a punishment." Agree 100%.

This is a common story for people on here, I'm sure. If Ace sees me so much as touch his collar, he starts bouncing off the walls with excitement, wanting me to put it on him. He loves it! Obviously he only associates it with good things, chief among those being hunting. And while I may threaten him jokingly that if he doesn't behave, he'll soon get in touch with his inner Ben Franklin 🗝⚡⚡, I wouldn't dream of it. Therefore, neither would he. It's a corrective tool only; not a punishment.
Oh man, my dogs go bat crap crazy when they see me with a collar! I use a simple Garmin Sport Pro, the only time I've had it high enough to make a dog yip was when my first Springer took off after a coyote. On the rare occasion that I do need to use the collar, a setting of 2 is just enough to get their attention.

I train retrievers to sit on the vibration on the e-collar.
That way when the dog gets birdy, I can silently stop the lab,
silently circle to a blocking position,
the silently release the lab with a hand signal.
I hunt solo most of the time, and have been successful with the silent vibrate function instead of a noisy whistle sit to stop the birdy lab.

I train retrievers to sit on the vibration on the e-collar.
That way when the dog gets birdy, I can silently stop the lab,
silently circle to a blocking position,
the silently release the lab with a hand signal.
I hunt solo most of the time, and have been successful with the silent vibrate function instead of a noisy whistle sit to stop the birdy lab.
Thats a good idea. I've always had trouble with my wires backing. And the idea of training to whoa with the collar has crossed my mind.

Thats a good idea. I've always had trouble with my wires backing. And the idea of training to whoa with the collar has crossed my mind.
It is rather easy to do especially since backing usually doesn't involve the distraction of bird scent.

Back