Down grading

I totally agree. I'm a waterfowl hunter at heart and have been for a very very long time. If I see one more waterfowl hunting show I'm going to puke! Those jokers are going to be sucking hind booby when the duck factory shuts down for the drought in the next year or so. Those guys have made a killing off of waterfowl hunting! Same with deer and turkey.

What I really get tired of is all these shows are about guys who hire guides, hunt leases or pen raised birds and say "boy we really got into them today". Get real!!! Go out and freelance your birds on PUBLIC hunting and lets see how well you do!

Rant over. Going to bed. Out here.

Totally agree, i duck hunt and pheasant hunt, when I was on a duck hunt last year now I love duck hunting as much as the next guy, but when this local duck hunter guide said to me you know if I want a pheasant I'd go to the farm or store and get a chicken, if I want a real bird for a hunt I'll shoot a duck I lost all respect for him. If you only knew that not only pheasants are released so are many ducks, and how do you think the whitetails become so abundant. I grew up pheasant and quail hunting and I won't stand for people putting it down, the guy really shut up when my uncle ask him to go on a bird hunt to see how well he and hid "duck" dog worked than.

Going to save over $1000 per year. We recently went back to an antennae. Works fine. Don't miss magic bras and vacuum cleaners and lose weight and cooking by the stars and ......

That'll buy alot of ...

Stopped eating out so much too.

Walt MI/USA

Most show are showing hunting in a bad light

I would say 90% of hunting shows are a joke! Let me see you shelled out thousands of $ to shoot a basicly tame deer. These shows should be called out for what they are a black eye for hunting. I do have to say there is one show that only hunt pubic land it Is called On Your Own Adventures.

The only show I've ever liked is hunting with Benny Sipes. He hunted all day in Idaho and got on shot off on a chuckar. Other than that I'm tired of it.

i kinda have to agree, i got the outdoor channel that had to be bought in a sports package for another $15 a month...

i thought i would learn alot from the different show, but after watching it for a month things just get replayed and there really isnt that much stuff that they teach you. most of it is advertisment...

Whenever this subject arises, I think back upon my standard comparison...the old American Sportsman.
But I never thought to watch that show to learn anything about hunting or birdhunting or to watch stellar dog work or whatever...I watched it to discover something recognizable and to watch, principally, Bing and Phil do their yearly thing....which represented to me the best of what two fellas scattergunning can be.
Not products expertly used, production piled upon a tailgate, a princess in tight camo with a high wattage smile killing stuff....or, especially, not some important to Hunting/Shooting/Firearms issue of the moment raised as a battle flag.
That grand AS intro music would begin and one could simply relax and enjoy what TV can do best...entertain.

Paying the bills and convincing viewers that tuning in to TV H&F shows is a competition now trumps entertainment.
TV H&F shows are in a cycle of bigger and better they can not escape....and one of their own making.
Most folks, at times, sense that they are missing something in the watching...most folks tho have no base to understand just how much they have missed.

Ahh yes, the American Sportsman. A true classic that never will be duplicated. Absolutely the best. I sure wish that the Outdoor Channel would aire that show. And no, it wasn't about limits of birds, bragging about themselves, pimping junk equipment, or anything like that.

Nowadays all you see are guys who are making a living off of the outdoors and hunting. Once upon a time hunting and fishing was just a way to get out and enjoy yourself with friends and family. Now it seems everyone has to have the ultimate tailgate shot with birds piled high or the experience was a failure. Don't get me wrong I enjoy shooting a few birds, but really, truth be known, I am every bit as happy being out there enjoying what god has created for us.

One thing I really, really can't stand is someone who constantly brags about how many birds they have killed during a season or a hunt. Or doesn't make mention of a hunt unless they shot birds. Was there nothing on the hunt that happened? Did you see something neat out there? See an old barn or house and wonder what stories it has in it's walls?

I've been hunting for a very long time and have shot my fair share of waterfowl, upland birds and deer. But, ever since I was a kid being outdoors always mean't more to me than just bagging game. I like to explore areas, see how others live, scout new areas for future outings etc etc.

Ahh yes, the American Sportsman. A true classic that never will be duplicated. Absolutely the best. I sure wish that the Outdoor Channel would aire that show. And no, it wasn't about limits of birds, bragging about themselves, pimping junk equipment, or anything like that.

Nowadays all you see are guys who are making a living off of the outdoors and hunting. Once upon a time hunting and fishing was just a way to get out and enjoy yourself with friends and family. Now it seems everyone has to have the ultimate tailgate shot with birds piled high or the experience was a failure. Don't get me wrong I enjoy shooting a few birds, but really, truth be known, I am every bit as happy being out there enjoying what god has created for us.

One thing I really, really can't stand is someone who constantly brags about how many birds they have killed during a season or a hunt. Or doesn't make mention of a hunt unless they shot birds. Was there nothing on the hunt that happened? Did you see something neat out there? See an old barn or house and wonder what stories it has in it's walls?

I've been hunting for a very long time and have shot my fair share of waterfowl, upland birds and deer. But, ever since I was a kid being outdoors always mean't more to me than just bagging game. I like to explore areas, see how others live, scout new areas for future outings etc etc.

Kurt Gowdy, a good Wyoming boy. Humor with Phil Harris and Bing Crosby it doesn't any better. Wonder if somebody has that on DVD, you can buy. Even though it was not a hunting show, I even enjoyed Marlin Perkins on the old Mutual of Omaha, Wild Kingdom. Marlin being dragged down by an Anaconda, he roped, at like 70 years old, Jim had to save him. The Platte River show with the geese, ducks, and cranes was classic, and made me want to see it. I have full blown cable, there are literally hundreds of channels that nobody watches, but you get them to recieve channels you want.

There is a birdhunting video of AS with a couple of episodes of B&P available on Ebay....actually, there are two versions of that tape.
One being shorter than the other by 9 minutes or so(be advised)...the shortened segment was of a B&P pheasant hunt in Iowa.
There are also occassional film reels of AS available...I have one featuring Cale Yarborough, for example.
Most believe the originals have been destroyed or degraded beyond use.
While rumors occassionally surface of other AS reels(Lee/Joan Wulff angle being one rumor) or videos, there will never be a modern replay of orginal AS shows....imho.
They and photos of AS have been a grail of sorts for me over many years.
But, as attics are emptied...one never knows what may surface in the future.
Stranger things have happened.
"Tip & Drip" as Wonga would have said to the possibility of discovery.

Curt played off of the guests on the show very well...especially B&P.
A reel guy.

Last edited:
OldandNew, I have a video at my dad's place with Bing and a few others (may be Curt and Phil) pheasant hunting. I'll look for it next time I'm up there. Can't remember much of the video except Bing and one of the others singing as they were hunting.

I'll pm you the name/maker of the video.:)

OldandNew, I have a video at my dad's place with Bing and a few others (may be Curt and Phil) pheasant hunting. I'll look for it next time I'm up there. Can't remember much of the video except Bing and one of the others singing as they were hunting.

I'll pm you the name/maker of the video.:)

I'd like that, you know I was thinking about other episodes, there a few Ted Williams hunting for woodcock and grouse, and fly fishing for salmon up in New Brunswick? I think. He had a lodge up there somewhere on some famous salmon stream. Also a singing lunch with B&P shooting sharptails near Spokane, Washington. Bing went to college there at Gonzaga. There were a few with Robert Stack, one of my hero's, ( The Untouchables), and a great clay shooter, hunting birds. And Jerry Clower, with his stories. Funny how the direction and camera soots where better, the birds look great, you see them fly, look majestic in hand. They all had better hunting togs than I did! I even read stories of the Gary Cooper and Wallace Beery holed up shooting ducks on the platte river, back in the thirties, and their socializing at a Broadwater, Ne. Hotel, or going to Earnest Hemmingway in Sun Valley to shoot pheasants, or "skeet" with the clan on magpies off the deck, ( they had magpies, pigeons were sparse), Pappa Hemingway had kids trap them, he hated them because they fed on pheasant eggs. Who the heck do we have now?

Kurt Gowdy, a good Wyoming boy. Humor with Phil Harris and Bing Crosby it doesn't any better. Wonder if somebody has that on DVD, you can buy. Even though it was not a hunting show, I even enjoyed Marlin Perkins on the old Mutual of Omaha, Wild Kingdom. Marlin being dragged down by an Anaconda, he roped, at like 70 years old, Jim had to save him. The Platte River show with the geese, ducks, and cranes was classic, and made me want to see it. I have full blown cable, there are literally hundreds of channels that nobody watches, but you get them to recieve channels you want.

I agree 100%. The American Sportsman was in a class by itself. Virgil Wards Championship fishing was also.

The one's that really set me off. The guy who's filthy rich that takes his 8 year old and shoot's a 200 plus inch deer off some fenced in deer farm. I just don't enjoy the moment with pops, watching his spoiled brat try to upright some monster buck for the ultimate camera shot.

Don't have a TV and don't miss it. To me, time spent in front of a TV is wasted time. But to each his own, of course.

Don't have a TV and don't miss it. To me, time spent in front of a TV is wasted time. But to each his own, of course.

Good for you shinbone. I'd love to get the TV out of my home. Just need to get my wife on board. Tough sell.

Anyway, your post reminded me of a saying I heard from a pastor years ago;

"Don't watch life. Live it".;)

O&N, the video info is as follows;

The American Sportsman Bird Hunting in association with Jack Nicklaus Productions
Hosted by Curt Gowdy
Produced by (1991) ABC sports/World-vision Home Video Inc.

starting, Andy Griffith, Sam Snead, Bing Crosby, Bear Bryant

Hope this helps:)

Back