Dove Hunt

walk213

Got an invite to enjoy opening day of dove season with a few friends who have access to private land. It did not take too long to limit out. It was a fun morning.

Unfortunately I forgot the GoPro and my camera as I headed out the door yesterday. Not a good move. I am committed to more pictures, video and articles this fall/winter.

Got an invite to enjoy opening day of dove season with a few friends who have access to private land. It did not take too long to limit out. It was a fun morning.

Cool, glad to hear y'all got some birds and had a good time. Hope you had the sun block on ;)

Greg

my boy and i took advantage of the colder weather yesterday. tried one SWA site- did very good, did not take long to get out limits. And we tried one private. Did not do well, by that time it was getting warmer. but over all it was a fun day. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear people are out busting some Doves! We had a rough one last year hunting out by Stratton, Fleming area. Was out of town this weekend so heading up towards Holyoke or Lamar area this weekend. Any advice on what direction would be great. Lets hope the weather holds and the Doves stick around.
Matt

From what I heard last night on the weather, it looks like it will be warm all week and through the weekend. I think the first big cool/cold front comes in Tuesday or Wednesday next week :eek:

So if you are going to blast some doves, this week and this weekend would be it.

I am thinking of heading out somewhere's east of Colorado Springs in hopes of shooting a few.

Greg

Good luck to all. I will try it again Sunday afternoon - stay local this time. Probably will not shoot that many, but I can get home to the family without much grief from the wife.

Pan seared honey bourbon dove and rice on the menu tomorrow night. My sons are always wary of the pellets. They tell me I should hit the birds in the head.

Good luck to all. I will try it again Sunday afternoon - stay local this time. Probably will not shoot that many, but I can get home to the family without much grief from the wife.

Pan seared honey bourbon dove and rice on the menu tomorrow night. My sons are always wary of the pellets. They tell me I should hit the birds in the head.

I will have to try that recipe. I always just wrap the breasts in bacon, a little cream cheese, jalapeno and bam, there ya go!!

Greg

dove stuff

hunted dove yesterday afternoon after returning from a bust in kansas, was butt deep in dove, temp. in the high 90's, mostly the dogs were interested in finding shade and not doves. i found the cover in the area very deep, and numerous water holes, just wonderful cover, never saw a pheasant but then i was not in a area where they are very many anyway but dove there were. my postings on kansas were pretty bleak

cheers

I shot two doves yesterday while working my Setter. I saw quite a few but only those two made the fatal mistake of encroaching within my shotgun range. :thumbsup:

setters

bet your setter made you go retrieve the dove, probably got you well trained so it was just as well you didn't shoot too many

cheers

Your a funny guy, Stuff! As a matter fact my Setter is kind of a dink about retrieving when he gets extremely hot, but about 10 minutes ago he retrieved a dove that fell in the river for me! Not bad for a setter!

setter stuff

that is really really fantastic, certainly one for the book, wow! a wet setter making a retrieve. hope you wrote that down and got a pic. going again tomorrow heat be damn. we have one cow tank on the route, dogs know where is it and love it.

cheers

My English Setter ROCKS!

I didn't get a picture of his water retrieve because I was busy enjoying his excitement, but I did take some pictures of him playing and laying down in the water as he was trying to cool of today. He really has no issues with water at all, I personally think if he could find pheasant in the water I would never be able to get him out of it. :rolleyes:
It was flipping hot out there today!!! :eek:

duv stuff

just got back, spent 5 hours, kept the one dog at heel so he would survive the heat, shot 17 counting the two collard. saw a lot more dove a couple of days ago but still had some to shoot at. studies show the first reason people are giving up hunting is cause of places to go, the second reason is idiot game wardens and their bad attitude along with laws that mostly defy any common sense. well, today i met two that ought to find another line of work or at least learn to be pleasant and helpful. nearly ruined my day and they had no legal basis to be threatening me.

cheers

I have had problems with some wardens a few times at the rocky ford wildlife area, a friend got a ticket for a stupid accusation only to have them throw it out but did not tell us so and we drove from colorado springs to I think it was Lamar,another time down there I was asked to give this guy who was in a game warden outfit 4 shell so he could make sure I had a plug in my gun, I asked him how long he had been a warden, he told me he was basically a desk jockey who manned the phones in the denver office and had come along to help out, I showed him my gun and asked him if he still wanted me to give him the 4 shells and he told me why yes I have to check your capacity, so I hand him4 shells,he was lucky I still had 4 :) and told him lots of luck trying as I knew there was no way he was going to squeeze 4 shells in my over and under shotgun, I even had to showhim how to open it up. And guys I am not making this up, makes me wonder about our game and fish department.

I have had problems with some wardens a few times at the rocky ford wildlife area, a friend got a ticket for a stupid accusation only to have them throw it out but did not tell us so and we drove from colorado springs to I think it was Lamar,another time down there I was asked to give this guy who was in a game warden outfit 4 shell so he could make sure I had a plug in my gun, I asked him how long he had been a warden, he told me he was basically a desk jockey who manned the phones in the denver office and had come along to help out, I showed him my gun and asked him if he still wanted me to give him the 4 shells and he told me why yes I have to check your capacity, so I hand him4 shells,he was lucky I still had 4 :) and told him lots of luck trying as I knew there was no way he was going to squeeze 4 shells in my over and under shotgun, I even had to showhim how to open it up. And guys I am not making this up, makes me wonder about our game and fish department.

Wow! That is funny stuff right there.:D I thought our game wardens were dumb lol.

First, good job. I will head out for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon. Disappointed to hear about your experience. I have been stopped 4 times over the last 5 years by game wardens. They have been polite. That said, the Douglas Country Sheriff officers have been nasty to my family. I am a public land hunter. Lucky for me I have a couple of friends who allow me to hunt their land every so often. Almost every time I knock on a door I get a "no". I come bearing gifts?

just got back, spent 5 hours, kept the one dog at heel so he would survive the heat, shot 17 counting the two collard. saw a lot more dove a couple of days ago but still had some to shoot at. studies show the first reason people are giving up hunting is cause of places to go, the second reason is idiot game wardens and their bad attitude along with laws that mostly defy any common sense. well, today i met two that ought to find another line of work or at least learn to be pleasant and helpful. nearly ruined my day and they had no legal basis to be threatening me.

cheers

Tell us the story!

Back