Door knocking

I think Nugent/Goosemaster just likes to state random controversial statements for the attention. You say you won't pay to hunt yet you give "gifts", using that term loosely, to the farmer. That is paying to hunt, whether you hand them cash or items it is all form of payment.
Yes, but only if the hunting is stellar, and I have beer, or Pepsi. 100 dollars!!! You gotta be kidding!!

Thanks for not commercializing hunting.
Hunting is commercialized regardless. No one gives us guns, shells, boots, or dogs. Well, maybe I‘ve gotten a couple free dogs. If someone wants to add a place to hunt, or even game animals to the list, it is their right. I’m not judging, just speaking for myself.

But you’re right, I would hate to see it go completely that way. That’s why we need to support public lands. And through more than license fees, everyone benefits from public lands, not only those of us who pursue game. Could they be managed better ? Certainly, improvements are generally possible.

MCFARMER 2024
“Let's get it right once and for all.”

That's really great, to have as farmer go hunting with you.I found a place yesterday that had a lot of roosters, but saw no sharptails, no huns. The farmer was a good dude.I get on some good farms, when I hunt by myself.
I have this guy that hunts with me, that has a lazy eye, and farmers see this guy, and always say no.Its uncanny...

Offering a landowner a cleaned pheasant, a pack of venison steaks, or a few filets of walleye will go a long ways. Some will reject it of course, but some will also accept it. It just shows a small token of appreciation in my opinion. Paying 200 bucks to hunt somewhere? I don't think so. If that's what I had to resort to, I wouldn't be hunting. That's why they have game farms. For people who would rather pay too much money to hunt really dumb birds.

Offering a landowner a cleaned pheasant, a pack of venison steaks, or a few filets of walleye will go a long ways. Some will reject it of course, but some will also accept it. It just shows a small token of appreciation in my opinion. Paying 200 bucks to hunt somewhere? I don't think so. If that's what I had to resort to, I wouldn't be hunting. That's why they have game farms. For people who would rather pay too much money to hunt really dumb birds.
I watched these 4 rich guys pull up to this farm in as brand new suburban, and I knew they were greasing this place with some serious cash. I did give a guy 20 dollars one time, but I limited on pheasant and sharptails so it was worth 20 bucks.

I used to do that. A bottle of wine here a chunk of cheese there I even had someone give me some wild rice. The I realized that I was going to have three kids in college at the same time. now that my kids are long out of college the revenue from hunting is financing more habitat. It helped to purchase another quarter of land that is not being farmed ditch to ditch. As Uguide says, it is a partnership. My hunters give me some money, then I can invest in something to give them a place to hunt.

Hey Bob, I couldn't agree more. Many years ago I hunted IA, SD and learned many lessons. IA was good, but started experiencing too many hunters and harder to get on private land. SD? Dam Bob you hit the nail right on the head! Its all about the $$$$ out there. I could not afford to pay those kind of prices......Then I thought what the hell am I doing???? There has gotta be a better way to enjoy pheasant hunting and not break the bank, or deal with a lot of other hunters. So doing some research and trying new things, now at 55 yrs old I have it dialed in!
Hunt ND, I don't even think ok breaking out the shotgun until the first part of December. Heres why, no other hunters, no crops standing and the WPA are so over looked and hardly ever hunted its a pheasant haven. Deer hunting season is over, so when you knock on a door to hunt private land I really can't remember a time that I was told no or paying any $. Ive been doing this for the past 8 yrs or so and have been having a great time and awesome hunts. So the way I look at it, keep the big $$$ down in SD and as long as you have a good dog get out to ND in late season, you won't regret it!
Those south Dakota farmers charge some serious coin to hunt!!And these orvis type people are willing to pay.I might give a farmer 200 dollars for a week of hunting, and lodging, if it was good!

Back