Doom&Gloom Folks

RedNose

I just want to bounce this off of you folks on UPH to see if I get a more informed answer. Now I have to admit I have some real weird, off the wall, crazy friends but I love them for what they are BUT the majority of them are so doom and gloom as of late that I am wondering if I have my head buried in the sand or I'm stupid or maybe I am just going about things like I should.
First off the word from these folks is we, the entire world, is heading for a total economic collapse that will be pale the Great Depression
Second, there will be massive riots over money, food, government, etc.

And it going on and on and on and...

Our family has always tried to store up 30 days of emergency rations but some of these folks are now going past a year on the food storage.

My wife and are not able to go here and there like we used to because of the fuel cost and the cost of things has gone up but I don't feel like I need to be setting up a compound to survive. Am I naive or is there really something to worry about?

All i can say is in 1995 I had a contracting business and did a large job for a couple of seemingly intelligent engineers that had purchased their " dream house " on 25 acres in the the country. Fast forward four years. They called me back and had us do some work to make the house ready for sale. They told me they had quit their jobs at Black and Veatch and had bought a mountain in Virginia. When i asked them why, they said when the year turns 2000 the computers are going to shut down and there will be mass anarchy. They had bought a box truck full of MRE's and were leaving in Oct of 1999. She asked me if I was worried. I told her that no matter what Wal-mart will be open and MCdonalds will have cheeseburgers. Bet they felt pretty stupid come jan 1 2000. I don't worry about crap like that too much. People at any extreme get on my nerves. I try to stay in the middle.

Just checked my Magic 8 ball and it said Maybe!!!!?????? Can't tell you much more, other then try and be ready for anything!! Just like a January bird hunt or a High Country big game hunt!!! If your like most hunters out there nothing scares you because you are ready for just about everything and if your not ready you can deal with it because you are a survivor!!!!!!!:cheers:

Change is constant, politicans are self-serving and bad stuff happens but many of the D&G folks are profiting off of the hyped fear, either on a personal level or by selling product.

Being prepared for emergencies though is a different dog entire...that simply makes sense.
There is always a center....someplace.

Thanks guys. I have been just plugging away like always but started feeling like an ostrich because of my off center friends. Yep, I'll just plod along like I usually do, do what in front of me daily. Thanks for your 2 cents

When the year 2000 approached. the fear that was spread into the public about power going out and everything going to hell made the generator company's rich. Everybody bought a generator...Nothing happened

Then when Obama got elected, ammunition went wild in price and people sucked up everything they could get their hands on. I know people that even sold every semi-auto gun they had, because they were sure that they would be banned and they weren't getting caught with them and loosing what they were valued at..Nothing has happened

Now it's the coming election and December 21st 2012. Secret gun war suppose to be going on. Handguns are selling like $2.00 T Bones. I'm willing to bet..Nothing's going to happen

W always have too much food in our house, big garden, cattle to butcher, cow to milk, sheep, ducks, chickens, quail, chukers, 5 draft horses, harnesses, wagons, slays, horse drawn farm equipment, a couple pitcher pumps in the machine shed(if needed), cross cut saws, broad ax, cruisers ax, many other hand tools, lots of ammo, loading supplies, smoker, curing salt, vinegar, canning salt, jars, canners, , lids, Etc. That just normal stuff that's always around. Not like we went and bought stuff to get ready for Armageddon. If we can't survive, I doubt many, many others will either. Again, I doubt anything is going to happen. these scares are set loose to make the rich man richer. when everybody goes out and buys on fear.

Last edited:
All i can say is in 1995 I had a contracting business and did a large job for a couple of seemingly intelligent engineers that had purchased their " dream house " on 25 acres in the the country. Fast forward four years. They called me back and had us do some work to make the house ready for sale. They told me they had quit their jobs at Black and Veatch and had bought a mountain in Virginia. When i asked them why, they said when the year turns 2000 the computers are going to shut down and there will be mass anarchy. They had bought a box truck full of MRE's and were leaving in Oct of 1999. She asked me if I was worried. I told her that no matter what Wal-mart will be open and MCdonalds will have cheeseburgers. Bet they felt pretty stupid come jan 1 2000. I don't worry about crap like that too much. People at any extreme get on my nerves. I try to stay in the middle.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's got to be the worst plan I've ever heard! I mean, if you've already got 25 acres and a house in the country, and a box truck of MREs... I'm thinking you could survive Y2K and the zombie apocalypse...:rolleyes:

It pays to be prepared for a variety of things that can happen, but this one isn't on my list. Think I'll just put-on my tin-foil hat & go on with life, Red.

I could live off my belly fat for a month so why worry? :p

if i run low on food i will rustle a steer from capt cootie. he has more than ten so he will never miss it. ( he cant count past ten. he has to use his fingers. i heard he made it to eleven once, but he was pissing on a tree at the time):D. lots of gloom and doom out there. Y2K brings back great memeries. i work for a power company. i know one guy who spent over 25,000 on a generator system for his house:eek: he designed it large enough so he could take care of all his church members. we were all on emergency standby that night. even had to have guys at the office with the managers. they were afraid the phones wouldnt work and they wouldnt be able to call them at home. i showed great self control that night. as midnight was approaching all the bosses were getting very nervous. they thought the end was near.. i had the uncontrollable urge to flip the main power breaker at the stroke of midnight and plunge the building into total darkness. to this day i still cant believe i passed it up. figured i would get fired or give someone a heart attack.

I think we rural types are a little better prepared should the excrement hit the fan. I would hate to be in the big city if electrical went out and sewer could be worse. A little gloom, no doom is hwere I am at. Certainly the economy is in trouble. We were rolling right along here in SD before the drought and must remember how good the last few years were for agriculture in our state. Now we need to get the grass back.

I think it's a good idea to have a month or so supply of stuff. The bunker stuff I think you went off the deep end. Why would you go under ground? You bought all the guns use them on the crazy people. Why should I have all the fun saving the world:D

I'm thinking my dogs a prepper:eek: Every nite when I lock him up he brings something with him. He couldn't know more then me could he?:D

I have my share of MRE's for backpack trips, my neighbors are mega-preppers, and I own way more guns than they do. I figure I'm set. Had to take-off the tin-foil hat, however . . . I was getting a rash . . .

The guys were talking about the programme at work yesterday...(I do not have television and it is not because of any weird reasons hehehehee...I just think most of the content is total tripe) but I got thinking about these doomsday type people and thought what a waste of their lives...worrying yourself silly over what might happen when there are dogs to follow and the oven calling for gamebirds to cook...:eek:

Last edited:
This type of crap goes on all the time. As OP stated, you should of seen Cabela's in the time between Obama's election and his inauguration. The wait in line for a gun was nearly 3-5 hrs on some days. They ran out of many types of ammo. I know a guy that works up there he told me they sold more guns in those three months than they had the previous 2 years. Amazing. Now if we are talking about zombies, maybe I am a little scared. But I have a couple of boys that have killed a few on the x-box so if you guys need a little lesson on how to fight them I charge 49.95 for a zombie kit. Just pm me and I will tell you how to get in touch. Paypal only. No checks please.

I'm sitting here trying to think about something to worry about?
Well, I got bear in a cornfield.:rolleyes:
Got 5 acres of second cut alfalfa to bale up this afternoon before the next rain.
Got to do some repairs on the pop up topper, Sept is coming fast.:)
Zombies and bigfoot are getting to be a problem in Montana. :eek:

Back