Dogs & Traps

Great Video thank you for posting the link. I have never trapped before so I would not have known how to release a trap.

Thanks for posting this. A recurrent nightmare is my dog getting in a trap.

Good video to post! My pooch was caught in a trap years ago on a property that wasn't supposed to have traps. Someone had snuck on to this retired couples farm (backside) and had been trapping. Thankfully it was just a foot trap...

david0311

Guys--been around traps a long time--

While methods as shown on above video is good information among some other like using zip tie's ect they are somewhat involved and I believe would be hard to remember and use under presser -

Had heard of a guy who has designed a very easy and uncomplicated method and tool --

To check it out I recently attended the the regional trappers convention to look him up--

After watching him using his tool and method-- --and doing so myself on both 220's and 330's (the most dangerous for our dogs in the field)

His tool and method are with out a doubt the best-quickest-and most simple method I have ever seen--

I will not :cheers:everbe caught in the field with out them in my vest/pocket

I HAVE NO FISCAL INTEREST IN THIS COMPANY

If interested--Web site is--www.youtube--search under--(Trapper Ron's Setter dog release)

Tel-715-347-7311

JMHO :cheers:

Looks promising, but you still have to do both sides and reset the safeties.

Remember - you will have a dog in the trap too - if this is a rescue situation.

It appears they are now selling two sizes.

Last edited:
david0311

Pair of tools sold together on ebay.

Video on removing dog with pair of tools.

http://wn.com/trapper_ron's_330_safety_setter

Look on right and scroll down 3-4 videos.

Oh and for a few bucks pick up a 220 and practice

Brittman--

--While good idea to reset safety catches --not necessary if tool used properly--do need two --

--one size will work for both 220 and 330--

--recommend you practice on both 220 and 330--330 being the hardest-

--should not need to buy--find most any trapper who for PR should be more than happy to walk you thru it and let you practice on his traps-- they can be dangerous

good luck:thumbsup:

good luck I feel its a great tool--:10sign:

You talk to the inventor ?

He is selling two sizes now. 160/220 and a 330 tool. If they are actually universal, please expand ...

He is also selling two packs.

Buying a trap is NOT expensive to say the least. I practiced with zip ties and it works. The issue with zip ties is when it gets real cold and the plastic becomes more brittle. Most any farm or outdoor store sells them.

Anyone ever try to cut the springs with a dremel type tool ?

david0311

He is selling two sizes now. 160/220 and a 330 tool. If they are actually universal, please expand ...

Buying a trap is NOT expensive to say the least. I practiced with zip ties and it works. The issue with zip ties is when it gets real cold and the plastic becomes more brittle. Most any farm or outdoor store sells them.

Yes--met him at trappers convention--and he gave me a demonstration and showed me how to operate most effectively--discussed operation and issues for quite some time--

--I may have misspoken on latch--would use in any case--either size will get the job done--also different length in chain--don't want to mislead--

NOTE--JUST TALKED TO RON at 10:30--

give him a call he will explain better than I can--dc:rolleyes:

715-347-7311

You don't need to cut the spring just the jaw would work. Its not hard on a 220, not that easy either, but you could cut one side and bend it out of the way in under a minute with a little practice. The hard part with any of it would be keeping the dog down. Knipix(sp?) pliers will do it. The model with the cutting notch at the back of the blade.

337.jpg

339.jpg

Snares are more common further west in coyote country. Those pliers look like a good tool for snares that do not reverse ?

I've been trapping for about 42 years. I don't use many conibears on land much, but when I have a place I'm assured no dogs have access to, I might. For setting any conibear, a 6 foot length of 1/4 inch braided rope with a loop tied in one end will set any of them. You put the loop around your foot. Run the rope up through both spring loops, bring it around and right back through those same loops a second time. You then pull on the end of the rope and it compresses the spring while you put the safety hook on. You'll have to do both sides to get the dog out. You may find the rope a lot easier to carry in your vest or fanny pack that a heavy, cumbersome tool. Just an option.

Great info there. Thanks for posting.

Back