Dogs in a Topper

I've had toppers on my Chevy/GMC 4wd crew cab trucks for years. I can recommend the ARE "Sportsman" with sliding side windows along with the "windoors" that an earlier poster suggested (the entire side windows lift up for easy access/airflow in the bed). I also agree that on the road, dogs should be in crates. If you put the crates on rubber mats, they don't slide easily. I was in a minor accident on I-90 just east of Chamberlain, SD several years ago and was sure glad my Golden was in a crate; it saved him. I take 2 dogs and there is still enough room for 3 guys' worth of gear, dog food, water etc.

Doing the suburban thing now so all the dogs ride with me, but back in the dark ages they rode in a topper. We had a sliding window on the back of the truck and a sliding window on the front of the topper. When warm we had great airflow(side windows open on topper) and when cold we left the warm air into the topper. Pretty low tech , but worked back in the 70's and 80's.

Doing the suburban thing now so all the dogs ride with me, but back in the dark ages they rode in a topper. We had a sliding window on the back of the truck and a sliding window on the front of the topper. When warm we had great airflow(side windows open on topper) and when cold we left the warm air into the topper. Pretty low tech , but worked back in the 70's and 80's.
A Suburban would be the best compromise for me but they quit selling them with diesels. So my compromise daily driver, trailer tower, hunting vehicle is a Dodge/Cummins Megacab with a topper. My two labs ride in kennels in the fold down back seat area with the doors facing the passenger side for entry/exit. Gear goes in the bed/topper area. The downside is I can take one passenger and two dogs. If the passenger has a dog, one of mine stays home for the next trip. Since I really like to bring both (I alternate them in fields) I often drive solo. I can slide my shotgun in a case behind the front seat so that when I get to the field I can grab my gun and a dog at the same door for quick exit to the field. When it's warm I have to be really careful about the dog left behind inside the truck.

Sorry to hijack, but what would be the reason for having so many dogs on a hunting trip? The guys I know roll with one dog all season long. Again, I'm a noob and just curios.
I’ve got a couple of dogs, and my dad does as well. For the most part on weekends we usually hunt together. From a pure hunting perspective, I’d say having 3/4 dogs for just 1-2 guys probably ends up costing us more birds than it gets is. However, we kill enough birds, and I can’t justify (personal opinion) not taking any of the dogs out when I do go - for the most part it’s 2-3 hour hunts. For me it’s about watching the dogs have fun, get exercised, etc., and upside of bringing more dogs along definitely outweighs the downside. If I was solely trying to kill more birds, it would be me and my 6 year old female only on about every hunt, and I wouldn’t take buddies or groups, but that’s all part of the fun IMO.

I have a truck with topper that has side windows that vent as well as
open...have traveled across ND in upper ‘90’s temps after a sharptail hunt...5 dogs in crates...not ideal, we monitored them closely, swam them, etc. most of the time my 3 ride behind me in 2nd seating area, so they are in a comfortable environment. Multiple dogs are a must, I hunt over 50 days a year out of state. Shit happens!!!!

Favorite dog rig is my Toyota Sienna van...2nd/3rd seats removed, 4’x8’ plywood on floor, 4 crates back there with EASY access and comfortable air for them all the time. Drive this all year except winter conditions.

Someone mentioned the other day that putting away a wet dog can cause them to overheat because if you are not moving air it doesn’t have a way to evaporate. Has anybody else heard that?

Dunno, but it makes sense to remove the excess moisture no matter, they tend to shake it off on their own, it must not be their preferred state from the get go...

Someone mentioned the other day that putting away a wet dog can cause them to overheat because if you are not moving air it doesn’t have a way to evaporate. Has anybody else heard that?
It is a very serious mistake to kennel a wet dog in a overly warm/hot area!!
By doing so you have in effect created a Sauna like effect that could kill a dog
if you ever watch trainers will a bunch of dogs in warm/hot temps doing water work—dogs are ALWAYS-STAKED OUT UNTIL DRY!

Back