Dogs and Bones

I won't give my dogs bones from game birds but will select bones from those soft store bought chicken type bones. Always have and haven't had problems. Also some [the type that won't splinter] cooked beef and pork bones. The only reason for cooked is, my dogs are house dogs and raw meat seems to make awful smelling doggie farts.:eek:

On my trips across ND I will sometimes do the KFC buffet. I steal 4 drumsticks, each pooch gets 2.:eek::eek:

Ruff Ruff had so many trips he knew what was coming.:)

Bully Sticks. Good protein source and cleans the teeth too.

The knock against rawhide is that they soften up easily and if the dog swallows a good size chuck it can quickly become an obstruction in the bowel. You should always supervise all chewing no matter what it is you give them.

Last edited:
I won't give my dogs bones from game birds but will select bones from those soft store bought chicken type bones. Always have and haven't had problems. Also some [the type that won't splinter] cooked beef and pork bones. The only reason for cooked is, my dogs are house dogs and raw meat seems to make awful smelling doggie farts.:eek:

On my trips across ND I will sometimes do the KFC buffet. I steal 4 drumsticks, each pooch gets 2.:eek::eek:

Ruff Ruff had so many trips he knew what was coming.:)

mnmt, I sure hope you don't ever have any problems with the bones you are feeding your dogs, but I think you are asking for problems down the road. Those cooked beef and pork bones can still cause problems. My stepson's dog ate a cooked ham bone and all that ground up bone caused a blockage in his intestines. The vet had to dig it out and the dog nearly died. And I would really shy away from those drummies at KFC. Any kind of bones from fowl are a huge no, no. They can splinter and lodge in the throat, stomach or intestines. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Back