Dog Vest or No Vest?

Good advice. I just cut the holes larger so it still protects the chest and belly but doesnt rub the armpits. The problem there is, that area isn't protected anymore and still gets raw, cut, and swollen. I have started experimenting. Vaseline, second skin, baby powder...I'm gonna try "anti-monkeybutt" next time. It worked for diaper rash!!

(This is a semi-joke, and not intended to start a dog breed war).

Get a lab! Don't need to worry about cold temps, snow, burs, etc. Not much that you really need to worry about besides barbed wire!

(This is a semi-joke, and not intended to start a dog breed war).

Get a lab! Don't need to worry about cold temps, snow, burs, etc. Not much that you really need to worry about besides barbed wire!

I hear ya. My lab buddy doesnt have to worry about anything. I am always amazed at how their coat deflects stickers.

I think using a vest is dependent on the type of dog you are running, where you are hunting, and the time of year. If you are running a Brit, you will have lots of protection compared to shorthaired haired dogs. My Vizslas do well with a vest, and it provides them additional protection. I also tend to hunt with a lot of Vizslas, so it can be hard to tell which Vizsla is mine. The vest helps me with that problem too.

Like MinnHunter, I use the Cabelas Ripstop vest. It has worked well, and provides great visibility.

In my opinion it should be with vest. It's much safer and better for the owner. My goldendoodle loves walking with it. But for me became a problem that very often my dog started to lick my ears. I didn't know the reason, so I reached a lot until found a good article that explained me it. Has somebody the same problem? I found a nice information and became happy because it wasn't a bad sign. Iwas scared my-dog-lick my ears

Last edited:
It looks like I’m going to get one for my English Cocker Spaniel before the season starts. Not that I think he really needs it but I have been told by my wife that if the little boy gets hurt there will be hell to pay. Figure it’s cheap insurance and will keep me out of the doghouse.

I have had a vest in my truck for years, have never used it on dogs when upland. Yes, a few fence incidents along the way, but not alot!!! For background, I hunt multiple states, average 5 days a week and use exclusively labs.

Once you have a pup ripped open from barbed wire fence you're viewpoint will probably change on vest usage. Why are you opposed to it?

I’ve heard multiple people address the chafing and debris collection. Everyone whom I’ve seen address those 2 issues say to try to loosen the vest a little. Reduces chafing and allows seeds, sticks, rocks to slide through. Makes sense, although I haven’t tried it yet.

My Vizsla was on a full sprint to retrieve a pheasant and hit took a fence right in the chest and flipped head over heel. Her Cuga vest fully protected her. Not only that, all that hunt with her can see her ten times better and that is comforting in itself. I haven't noticed any chaffing at all with the Cuga vest.

I run a blaze orange vest on my older Lab, mainly for visibility. He's a fox red, and it's amazing how much he blends into the dry grass. My younger Lab is black and a lot easier to see, plus he's not such a hard charger like the older guy, a bit more cautious and methodical... so far, anyway. I use the Cabela's ripstop vest most of the season, and the 5mm neoprene vest in late season, when it's colder.

I had a labrador retriever that was killed by running into a branch or other object that impaled his chest cavity.

There was no sign of an injury and this dog showed no effect until a few months after the hunting season. He developed an abscess that collapsed his lungs.

The vet determined it to be inoperable and I lost him at 6 years.

I put a vest on my dog when bird hunting. My wife insists on it.

As a guy that has had three hunting dogs over the last 40 years I have never had a dog get a cut from barbed wire that I noticed. But I have seen too many dogs of hunters that come here get cut. I wonder if it is because my dogs grew up here and are therefore more aware of it?

I'll second your message, Dennis.

Currently enjoying my 5th Golden Ret. and none of the dogs have been cut by wire. Years ago hunted with a friends Lab that attempted to jump over the top of the barbed wire...didn't quite make it and snagged his penis. It went in deep and the dog was stranded on the top of the fence, very much in pain and I suppose embarrassed.

We had a vet with us that saved the day and helped the poor Lab down from the top of the wire.

Last edited:
I'll second your message, Dennis.

Currently enjoying my 5th Golden Ret. and none of the dogs have been cut by wire. Years ago hunted with a friends Lab that attempted to jump over the top of the barbed wire...didn't quite make it and snagged his penis. It went in deep and the dog was stranded on the top of the fence, very much in pain and I suppose embarrassed.

We had a vet with us that save the day and helped the poor Lab down from the top of the wire.
My worst fear as I TRY to step over barbed wire... regardless if a vet is along!!!!!!!

45 years of Goldens and 35 hunting pheasants. Have a vest along if I need to cover an injured dog. Had one with stitches once that were about a week old that needed covering to hunt. Had several dogs hit fences, sticks, etc. over the time and have had a few stitches or super glued back together, but nothing that a vest would have stopped. I can't imagine my dogs not overheating while upland hunting in a neoprene vest, I have used those while waterfowl hunting around zero when the dog isn't working much. My dogs are field lines so coats are relatively short, except for some older ones or spayed females and those I spray pam on before hunting to make the burrs come out easier. Injuries could happen, but I've had way more problems with porkies than anything else and no vest will stop that.

I can see why some elect not to put a vest on their best friend. There are lots of factors to consider. I like the protection from some minor and unnecessary scratches. I use the Cuga on my three year old Viszla and will definitely check into the Cabelas Ripstop for my 10 week old Vizsla puppy. We bust through some tough cover, mainly cattails, which are hard on dogs. The leaves can cause the worst of "paper cuts". The stem that protrudes out of the cattail cob put a nice puncture in the chest of Ellie her first season as she bound through the cattails. The high visibility is icing on the cake. Using different colors on Ellie and her sister last fall made it easy to distinguish. A little insulation when it gets cold in December/January. Seeing all the pheasants this spring and early summer sure does have me itching for October.

Back