Dog Starting Heat Cycle - Bring for SD Opener ?

Her timing really sucks. Would love to hear some opinions on this. 7 Guys and 4 other dogs who have been neutered or spayed. I'm tempted to leave her at home as I'll be back two weeks later and hunting solo and she'll be done. Thoughts ?

I went through the same thing last year. Non issue, except for the enlarged vulva and nipples that got raw from grass. Hunt like normal.

Mine’s in standing heat right now. She’s working fine, shot an easy limit over her yesterday. My 2 intact males not so great, need to get them away from her and then they will hunt,not their best but okay. I hunted her last year with a friends spayed bitch. They ignored each other and hunted fine. Only problem is in campgrounds or hotel parking lots where knuckleheads have their semi trained males off leash.

Her timing really sucks. Would love to hear some opinions on this. 7 Guys and 4 other dogs who have been neutered or spayed. I'm tempted to leave her at home as I'll be back two weeks later and hunting solo and she'll be done. Thoughts ?
I don't know the answer for you, a lot depends on how you hunt, where you stay, etc. If all the other dogs are fixed and you aren't staying with a bunch of strangers I absolutely would hunt her.
PS she may not be ready to go in two weeks, usually they are ready for breeding around day 11 but sometimes much later. Sorry I'm not more help, but I think you can find away to hunt her.

if you were going to be by yourself or with other females, i'd say go for it. with other neutered males along, it could make for a uncomfortable and chaotic experience in the field, and where ever y'all are staying it the evening.

I took mine who came into her first heat cycle the weekend before I left on a week long hunting trip. she stays in the motel room with me and the adjoining room next to mine had two males that started raising cane shortly after I got settled in my room. I had to go back to the front desk and ask for a different room as far away from any other rooms with dogs so we would all be able to get some sleep.

Every time someone pulled up on a field I was already at, first thing i asked when they hopped out of their truck was whether they had any male dogs with them because mine just came into season and i would hate for their hunt to be ruined on account of their dogs being distracted.

Back