Dog riding in truck, seat cover, cushion, etc.

Bob Peters

I'm wondering for those who have the dog riding inside the vehicle cab, etc. what you have found for a good seat cover or cushion. I have a crew cab truck and always put the bird dog in the back. I have the husky floor mats, so they are nice rubber ones, and I usually have a blanket back there for the dog to lay on. If I don't and it's cold out, I crank the heat on high on the floor boards. I'm always thinking about the dog first. In the offseason I've been looking at either a mud river memory foam cushion for the back seat, or buying something along the lines of this

I really really miss pheasant season so much. There is nothing like seeing a good bird dog do what is in its blood. I kinda chanced into this style of hunting, and am so glad I did. The world is a big place with a million things going on, but if I ever had a wish, it's that every good person in the world has at least one chance to see a bird dog in action. Anyways, thanks for any input!

Bob, I think the dog prefers the windows down, not the heat on, at least my GSP does. If I was thinking of the dog's comfort, both the back windows would be down until the temps were below freezing, any colder and then just one down.

I have a Mud River cover, it is not fitted, but it reaches across my F150 and covers the floor also. The dog is never on the floor, so no need to worry about that. It is a real heavy canvas, with a quilted backing. I would recommend one, but when my buddy ordered one a couple years ago, it was not like the one I have (at least 10 years old), way cheaply made now, so buyer beware. Maybe with small dogs, it would hold-up. The straps didn't work with my truck, I just zip-tied the corners to the rear seat belt shoulder mount anchor points, works great.

My dog always rides in her kennel. In the bed if its 50-80 degrees out, in the rear portion of the cab if its colder or warmer than that. I don't want dog hair all over my seat or the interior of my truck and I've trained my dog to ride quietly in her kennel since day 1. Not much worse than driving to your destination with a dog bouncing around the inside of a vehicle constantly whining. Its a distraction and unsafe IMO

Not sure about anyone else's dog, but mine is not bouncing & whining while driving, he is staring out the window looking for birds. Now when I get to my hunting destination and it is not shooting hours or we are waiting for another hunter, that is when the bouncing and whining beginning! He is in the back seat. Dog hair is just part of having a dog, that is what your shop vac is for.

Not sure about anyone else's dog, but mine is not bouncing & whining while driving, he is staring out the window looking for birds. Now when I get to my hunting destination and it is not shooting hours or we are waiting for another hunter, that is when the bouncing and whining beginning! He is in the back seat. Dog hair is just part of having a dog, that is what your shop vac is for.
Mine will sleep the whole way to where you’re going kind of like my wife. You hit a dirt road and she’s instantly awake with her front legs on the console. Tell her to get in the back and she’ll be back asleep in the rear seat. First trip I’ve taken with her that was over 3 or 4 hrs was this last fall. She slept 9 hrs out and 3 or 4 hrs scouting and then got to the motel and slept through the night. Basically 24 hrs straight. Funny dog you can leave her in the back with a seat full of groceries and she won’t touch them.
She rides in a kennel in the bed once the hunting begins though. I can do without a back seat full of sand and mud.

My buddy's GSP is a little like that...I tease him that it is half boxer (or any other breed)...he is a little thick. It will nap in the truck and lay down in the field when it is hot or tired...mine never does either of those things.

Bob, I think the dog prefers the windows down, not the heat on, at least my GSP does. If I was thinking of the dog's comfort, both the back windows would be down until the temps were below freezing, any colder and then just one down.
When I mentioned turning the heat on I was thinking in my head about after a long day of late season pheasant hunting. Especially if the dog has gotten wet, or has ice chunks on her fur. Remember, not everyone hunts in the tropics of Iowa. There's real winters in MN and the Dakotas. She is really well behaved on the ride. Mainly sleeps or lays down, never makes a single noise, never jumps around in the truck.

"Mainly sleeps or lays down, never makes a single noise, never jumps around in the truck."

I am trying hard not to comment on this

We do have much better (warmer) weather than northern MN, and more birds possibly also.

Mine always in truck interior-mostly in kennels but old girls ride on floor in front or on seat if they prefer!
Sleep in my camper on bed—three labs last year-
‘Dog hair in truck—MY TRUCK-deal with it if you want to ride with me!
In camper I just consider dog hair —-A CONDIMENT 😳—not a PROBLEM!
I do have the truck detailed after the season-

My dogs take over my back seat also. I have a mud river seat cover. My 9 year old used to have the front seat to herself before her new buddy came home a couple years ago. She's probably still pissed she got demoted to the back seat.

When I'm hunting they're in their kennels. Also in the back seat. But cruising around, they get to ride in the back seat. They also don't make a peep or bounce around.

I have a hammock for the back seat of my F150; however, my two GSP's are down and asleep by the time I'm out of the neighborhood. The hammock keeps them from falling forward if I have to brake hard.

Back