Dog prices............

Son Chris is going to have a litter end of month. I forget breed date exactly. We have a fair list of new owners, but depends on sex and numbers of course. I hope to breed Poco to Cedarwood's Tukazoe again, and maybe Flirt later in the year.

Whats a fair price for a pup? It all depends on what you want it to do. Whats a fair price for a car? Depends on what you want to do with it. You wanna haul the family around or do you want to take it to the track every now and then and run with the big boys

If you plan on running field trials (talking reteivers here) then your going to want to get one out of proven performers. You need a dog that can stand up to the rigors of training day in and day out. Most of these types of dogs are too much dog for the average hunter to handle and really something that us, the average hunter does not need.

My point here is (in the lab world anyway) that the average hunter can find a good pup out of proven hunters for a whole lot less than a pup out of proven field trial stock and still have an exceptional gun dog. So for a lab out of good hunting stock whose parents are both solid hunters, easy to train, eager to please, I would say no more than $500. And that would be on the very high side. More than $500 and I better be seeing some good stuff no more than the
3rd generation back. Just my opinion.

This is a picture of the best dog I have ever owned, and probably ever will. She came from a really nice family. Local DU guy. Nice clean place.
From looking at her, anyone would be glad to have a pup from her.

Paid 350.00 for her. She was grossly oversized, terrible mouth , one suspect hip, a temperment, lets just say it wasn't for everyone.

I'd mortgage my house for another one just like her! I don't think I will ever find her, so I'm content spending a little bit more on one, less the problems.
I don't need an Escalade, a 3/4 ton will do.

Last edited:
Whats a fair price for a pup? It all depends on what you want it to do. Whats a fair price for a car? Depends on what you want to do with it. You wanna haul the family around or do you want to take it to the track every now and then and run with the big boys

If you plan on running field trials (talking reteivers here) then your going to want to get one out of proven performers. You need a dog that can stand up to the rigors of training day in and day out. Most of these types of dogs are too much dog for the average hunter to handle and really something that us, the average hunter does not need.

My point here is (in the lab world anyway) that the average hunter can find a good pup out of proven hunters for a whole lot less than a pup out of proven field trial stock and still have an exceptional gun dog. So for a lab out of good hunting stock whose parents are both solid hunters, easy to train, eager to please, I would say no more than $500. And that would be on the very high side. More than $500 and I better be seeing some good stuff no more than the
3rd generation back. Just my opinion.

You have remarkable restraint! If I'm spending that kind of money, documented performance better be Dad and Mom. I personally won't buy a pup that doesn't have a hammer for a mother, or one which has already produced hammer performers. I realize by the numbers each parent contributes 50% of the genetics, but mom raises the litter, to me that throws a little more weight behind the dam side. So no Champion sired dogs out of a "by trailer out of Bumkus" bitch, who's vacant in the first generation. . As has been said here already, what the dog cost's as a pup is meaningless, and would never stop me from the right pup. As they say, Marry in haste, regret in leisure!

Oldandnew, I couldn't agree more with you. I purchased a lab once that had papers and that was it. Didn't kow the dam or sire and got burned bad, didn't pay much but nonetheless got burned. That dog is living the easy life somewhere but not here.

But, what I'm saying and failed to clarify is that if I KNOW the dam and sire and what kind of dogs they are then it's a different tune. But, if I am buying out of the blue then yes, the dam and sire better be proven on paper and I still like to know a little about them both before laying down the green. I to agree that too much emphasis is put on generations past and not close up. Those dogs way back there have very little influence on what your pup will be.

I would love to have another Chessie. Had one once with a pretty nice pedigree. I see litters advertised for 800 dollars on up and I their isn't a title in the whole pedigree!

This is a picture of the best dog I have ever owned, and probably ever will. She came from a really nice family. Local DU guy. Nice clean place.
From looking at her, anyone would be glad to have a pup from her.

Paid 350.00 for her. She was grossly oversized, terrible mouth , one suspect hip, a temperment, lets just say it wasn't for everyone.

I'd mortgage my house for another one just like her! I don't think I will ever find her, so I'm content spending a little bit more on one, less the problems.
I don't need an Escalade, a 3/4 ton will do.

Great looking dog BDC2. We had a litter with our dogs and they are all great pups, great prey drive, soft mouths, great family dogs. One pup specifically his dad JP emulated, I mean the same exact dog, build, tempermant, everything. I wanted to keep him bad but having 2 bull heads like JP would've been tough so I made sure to find him the right owner and did. Imagine my joy when I got a call from a very proud owner as he told me how his 6 month old pup showed up his 2 buddies veteran gsp's on his first ever real hunt for wild quail and chukar. One of his buddies called me 2 days later asking if I was planning another litter this year. I told him I wasn't but I would file his name and number for if and when I do.

Great looking dog BDC2. We had a litter with our dogs and they are all great pups, great prey drive, soft mouths, great family dogs. One pup specifically his dad JP emulated, I mean the same exact dog, build, tempermant, everything. I wanted to keep him bad but having 2 bull heads like JP would've been tough so I made sure to find him the right owner and did. Imagine my joy when I got a call from a very proud owner as he told me how his 6 month old pup showed up his 2 buddies veteran gsp's on his first ever real hunt for wild quail and chukar. One of his buddies called me 2 days later asking if I was planning another litter this year. I told him I wasn't but I would file his name and number for if and when I do.

quail hound , have you ever read anything by Mike Gould. Mike and his dog Web terrorize the west. If it flies they've chased it. Sound like anybody you know? Mike likes to talk about functional confirmation, old JP.... he has it!

I love that term "functional confirmation". I hate seeing what's has become of many working breeds for the sake of show rings. A bench bred ESS does not at all resemble a dog I would like to hunt behind. JP would be laughed out of a show ring just as fast as a bench dog would be laughed out of the fields.:cheers: To functional confirmation.

Back