dog points at mouse nests

birdybritt529

my dog seems very interested in mouse nests and will point at them while pheasant hunting. she is a trained dog and does well in the field. every once and awhile she is crazy about mice while hunting. do your dogs find mice in the field? any ideas how i can get her to not go nuts when she smells a mouse? thanks

My last Lab pointed mice (it was the only thing she would point). I'd just laugh at her, give her a stern "No" and eventually she quit.

My Britts hunt mice in the house or outdoors, the entire off season. Mine will eat them when they catch them, so I try to get to them before they disappear. When in the field, they don't pay any attention, at home it's the only game available. As a benefit, they are more effective than the cats!

My older GSP used to point and try to catch mice until he was around 7 years old. One day thats all he was doing so I finally got tired of dragging him off of them and bumped him with the ecollar twice and he never bothered them again. I have a 3 year old also but he has never bothered with mice but there are times that he likes to point song birds.

Back