Dog having seizures

Team68

My 2 1/2 year old shorthair is staring to have seizures he hase one and he is out of it for 2 hrs. never had problems befor. is it my dog food or something. I have just switch to pro plan preformance in Januray. Any ideas?

could be the food switch or more common it could be a tick that got pulled off and the head is still in there

huh well maybe it could be something more nerological but i know for a fact that if you don't get the head out it can couse siezures

The issue of seizures has been discussed somewhere before on this site. First, it's not all that uncommon for dogs to have seizures. The frequency of the seizures is what probably determines how serious they are. If a dog has 2-3 a year it probably isn't a big deal. The fact that indicate your dog is "out of it" for 2 hrs. would cause me major concern. My advice would be to get him to your vet and have him checked out. This problem has the potential to be way beyond what most on this site can help with, me included. Good luck with the dog and let us know what happens.

I think Frontline has been identified as a cause of seizures in some dogs, but it hasn't bothered mine.

the seizures only last mabe 1-3 min but after he out of it like walking in to stuff and not sure where he is. Got blood work back its all good. the vets act like it's normal that they have them.

the seizures only last mabe 1-3 min but after he out of it like walking in to stuff and not sure where he is. Got blood work back its all good. the vets act like it's normal that they have them.

How often is he having them?

i didn't go to vet school but pretty sure its not normal it may not be uncommon but definately not normal to this degree

I had a dog like that in the 1980's. The vet I had at that time said it was due to getting over excited. He said to keep calm to an extent but could use her as a ratter because she was a small dog. She was a spitz,pekinese, and chihuaha(tacobelldog) mix. You might want to talk with your vet and see what he says. Mine said if it didn't have them very often just to let it sleep and they increased to let him know becauase there is meds for it. I myself know what they are like because I had child hood epilepsy and outgrew them. That is all I can say for now....Phil V.

No it is not normal at all. But does happen. They are in most cases a hereditary defect in the dogs genitic make up. Nero problems are a pain and hard to solve. It can get spendy. I had a dog which I thought had one, but we treated it for an inner ear infection with a special antibiotic and it never happened ever again. The part of the ear you can not see. She was running and colapsed like dizzy and took a few minutes to be able to stand. Would also act out of it, or drunk. Good luck

One of the most common cause is hypoglucemia. Does the dog have these while at excercise? or at rest? If hypoglucemic blood tests when normal would not necessarily reveal the problem, when blood sugar returns to normal, tests will be normal as well. Diet may be a factor, but more likely it is frequency of feeding, usually the hypo dog needs feed more often in smaller quantities spread throughout the day. Did you check on EIC? Irregular heart beat can produce seizure like results, as well. As suggested the inner ear can do this. Ingestion of crayons, which the dog cannot digestively process, can do this. Any youngsters in the family where the dog could eat crayons or play dough? These are all issues which can produce these symptoms. I have seen all these cause the symptoms you describe. I've seen it so bad a guy had to carry his dog out to the car, approximately two miles. As suggested, if it's genetic, which would be my last guess, despite the admirable qualities of the dog, you don't want to breed this into continuing generations. Good Luck and keep us posted.

had one yesterday and 4 wks ago and around dec

I respectfully disagree with your vet. That's not normal. I'd get another opinion. Maybe take the dog to one of the university's vet schools in your state. Best of luck.

they took blood sunday morning and ran the test. the test cam back normal. Last night he back to his self play and howling at me. I also have a 1 year shorthair they like to play hard i am woundering if he hit his head on somthing while playing. My vet is a very well know vet from K-STATE vet school. If he cant find out whats going on he calls k-state.

There are many things which can cause seizures such as you describe in dogs.

Idiopathic epilepsy is quite common in the various birddog breeds and is usually the DX of last resort, when all other causes can be eliminated. It can often be treated quite successfully. Good luck.

Back