Dog Gettig to close to birds

I have an 7 month old english pointer and i am a first time handler. I have moved him to live bird now and he is having sime trouble. He is pointng at the birds (pigeons in a small wire cage) but he is only pointing at them when his face is inches away from his face. He is picking up the scent and running the trails , but he wants to find the bird, but not wanting to automatically point. Hope you guys have some tips for me.

If you have access to a bird launcher I would use it to fix this problem. The thing you want to do is as soon as he starts to smell the bird release it. This will teach him that he cannot get so close.

I hope this helps.

So your saying he needs to see the bird first before he points. You didn't by chance overdo the wing on a string game did you?

You could use the launcher method as described or better yet, just take him hunting. Put him on as many wild birds as you can, they will teach him that when he gets too close the game ends. Given enough birds you should see him start to become more cautious. Next spring/summer when he is more mature and has had a good dose of wild birds then work on bird manners.

P.S. if you haven't already you may want to think about whoa breaking him, but away from birds I might add. The whoa command, or whatever command you choose to stop him, is an important command for pointing breeds (for several reasons), but particularly important when steadying up a dog. Once the dog is on point and he moves, the whoa command can be used to caution/stop him from further advancement.

FWIW

Last edited:
Your dog is only 7 months old. Have some patience. Just continue to get the dog on real birds and let his natural instincts and abilities develop. You will be amazed at the progress he makes in the coming months.

We all tend to be impatient and want the dog to perform like we think they should. I was the same a few months ago with my Brittany who is now 11 months. The breeder/trainer I bought her from told me to back off and be patient, and not worry about anything until after this hunting season. Boy was he right. You can just see her learning and the natural instincts kicking in every time out. Of course being here in SD it's easy to get her on a lot of birds, but that's what it takes.

Right now just get him a lot of exposure to birds. At this point you should only be concerned about obedience and control in the field. If the breeding is there the rest will come in time. Good luck and just enjoy your pup.

You'll be suprised how fast they learn what they can and can't get away with as far as pushing a bird once they start being exposed to wild birds. Get him on some pressured ruffed grouse if you want to really make him cautious.:D Pheasants are easy then. :cheers:

Back