dog foot protection

gsp4life

just want to see what everyone else uses. i'm using something call "TUFF FOOT" and worked pretty good last season. i dont like using boots because every year i have to go out and buy another set since they fall off all the time. with this tuff foot it seems it keeps his pads real nice through out the year. just started his first treatment tonite. so what do you guys use?

I've never used anything on my dogs feet. But then here in SD we don't have to contend with sand burrs or cactus. The only time I have a foot problem is in the snow. The snow balls up between the toes and my Britts are constantly stopping to chew out the snow balls. I have rubbed their feet with Vasoline before htting the field and it does help. This year I plan to get some Musher's Secret to use in snow. Anyone else tried this stuff?

http://www.musherssecret.net/

I am completely with Zeb, I run my dog daily in the off season. Where we run is sand and gravel. I live in the high desert. These runs keeps his pads in tip-top shape and I use nothing on them. I do have some sage brush around, but that does seen to hurt Tony's paws......Bob

Ice Balls on Paws

I've never used anything on my dogs feet. But then here in SD we don't have to contend with sand burrs or cactus. The only time I have a foot problem is in the snow. The snow balls up between the toes and my Britts are constantly stopping to chew out the snow balls. I have rubbed their feet with Vasoline before htting the field and it does help. This year I plan to get some Musher's Secret to use in snow. Anyone else tried this stuff?

I cured the paw ice ball problem on my Brit by trimming down the hair around and between the pads to flush with the pad or a little shorter.

I have found the problem is not on the pads it is on the tops of the dogs foot. I believe this is from the corn stubble, wheat or milo fields that we hunt. The only way I have found to prevent this is dog boots.

Anyone else have the tops of dogs wear getting raw from running them?

Thanks

Dakotazeb- I have used mushers secret here in Michigan it seems to work good just started last year. Had no problems with paws last year.:)

Dakotazeb- I have used mushers secret here in Michigan it seems to work good just started last year. Had no problems with paws last year.:)

I'm interested in this product as well. Had your dog had problems with the pads/feet prior to using Mushers secret?

I'm curious as to how well it prevents splitting in the pads and cuts between the toes. From what I understand it forms a hard wax coating over the pads and in between the toes.

Found this interesting vid at Gun Dogs supply on it: http://www.gundogsupply.com/mushers-secret-video.html

Last edited:
Foot Protection

I bought some booties from Cabela's for my dogs, GSHP and Weimeraner. I put thin socks on them first. I got laughed at in ND, but, I hunted them daily for 5 hours plus for 5 days. One day I walked 13 miles, they for sure went a lot farther. Wheat stubble.

Years before their feet were bloody wrecks after 2 days.

We usually hunt Grouse/WC here in northern MI. Much easier conditions. And then, we only hunt an hour or two at the most.

Walt MI/USA

just want to see what everyone else uses. i'm using something call "TUFF FOOT" so what do you guys use?
TUFF FOOT was better than nothing but I switched to Betadine & use it before, during and after the hunt & it works well for me.

This year I plan to get some Musher's Secret to use in snow. Anyone else tried this stuff?

I use Mushers Secret & it works But I think any silicone base product is better than nothing in the snow.

I have found the problem is not on the pads it is on the tops of the dogs foot. I believe this is from the corn stubble, wheat or milo fields that we hunt. The only way I have found to prevent this is dog boots.

Thanks

Buster, I had the same problem last year. That is when I found out about Betadine. I rarely make a blunt statement like this. Get some Betadine & small brush & use it. Let it dry for a few minutes & let them run around a bit & no problem with licking it off.

I'm having a problem this year with both of my Brittanys. They both have areas on their front legs that have been rubbed raw and bleed now on every hunt. The area is on the outside edge of the leg on the first joint above the paw. They also have an area on the inside of their rear legs just above the paws. I've come to the conclusion that the wet conditions have contributed to problem. Everytime out they are wet from start to finish. These spots don't seem to bother them, probably bother me more. Anyone else having a similar problem? Any solution short of boots?

Last edited:
Nothing on mine , never have. But in a trial in texas last year I came accross those sand burrs, and I had to carry my dog a hundred yards to safe ground, and spend a half hr clearing em out. But around here we have no trouble I guess. Feet are the one thing that I useally have no trouble with. But The last couple weeks My young female has caught something in her foot that seems to be persistant. I hope it is not a seed. But this is the first time in 25 plus years of serious hunting or training I have had a problem with the foot on a dog.

Mushers Secret does work to a point. If there is snow and its in the normal range of temps hunters are likely to be out in it works great. Its less affective if its close or below 0 Course most people don't stay out to long when its that cold anyways. Trimming the hair around the toes/pads helps alot. Doing these 2 things almost cures the problems with snow.

Hello

Tips for Dog Paw Protection
Here are some tips for protecting your petâ??s paws:

* Inspect your dogâ??s paws regularly. If you notice any small cuts, wash them with an antiseptic soap. If there are large cuts or cuts are bleeding excessively, your dog should see a veterinarian.

* Keep your dogâ??s nails trimmed so they do not catch on anything and tear. If you donâ??t know how to trim your dogâ??s nails, ask your vet to show you, or take your dog to a groomer.

* Watch for hazards in the terrain where you walk your dog. If you walk him in the city, watch for things like broken glass, gravel, and sharp concrete. If you walk him in the country, watch for sharp rocks, burrs, and thorns. If something becomes lodged in your dogâ??s paw, remove it with tweezers and wash the paw well with antiseptic soap. If the wound is large or bleeds excessively, see your vet.

* Frequently exercising your dog on hard surfaces such as concrete can cause sore feet. Applying a moisturizing lotion or petroleum jelly may help, but keep an eye on your dogâ??s paw pads and on his tolerance for the activity.

* In hot weather, donâ??t walk your dog on asphalt or blacktop. Walk him in grassy areas where he wonâ??t burn his feet.

Thanks
Have a nice time a head

I'd like to revisit this issue. I also posted about this earlier on this thread but did not get a response and I don't think BusterB got a response either.

Like I said in my previous post I'm having a problem this year with both of my Brittanys. They both have areas on their front legs that have been rubbed raw and bleed now on every hunt. The area is on the first joint above the paw. They also have some spots on their rear legs just above the paws. I've come to the conclusion that the wet conditions have contributed to problem. Everytime out they are wet from start to finish. These spots don't seem to bother them, probably bother me more. I did talk to my buddy who's a veterinarian and we was concerned that continued rubbing on those spots could work through the upper layer of skin and damage the next layer. He said I would have a real problem then. Last time out I wraped the areas with gauze and then a waterproof first aid tape. The tape stayed on good and while the areas got wet udner the tape it protect them from more abrasion. Not sure what to do about the spots on the rear feet.

Just wondered it anyone was experiencing a similar problem and what they have done to protect those areas. I see this a continual problem all season long. Right now I don't want to resort to boots as I'm afraid they will just fill up with water. Maybe after everything freezes up boots will work.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob,
I hunt an area of land that has a lot of flint and cactus. I'm not sure of the location on your dog that is getting injured but I take a bicycle innertube and cut about a 4 inch piece and slide it over Taz's front leg. I anchor with athletic tape and it protects the front "shin" area. As for boots, I run Lewis Dog Boots. Good Luck!
JMc

Back