Dog Crate

G-Texan

I am looking to buy a good dog crate. I would like something that is sturdy, can be secured into the back of the truck and has a lock on the crate door. The “Gunner” looks like it will work but it is expensive. Does anyone have good alternative?

I switched from Ruff Tough to the Gunner and there is a huge difference in quality (and price to be fair). For the peace of mind it was worth it to me... Spend a lot of money/time on a dog so it only seems right to protect it as best you can.

I think the Gunner crates are a very stout well made product that fill a niche market. I had one to try out for a few weeks and liked it but the weight, footprint, and cost with multiple dogs didn't work for me. If I'm going to spend that amount of money I would look at a used NorthStar, Deerskin, or Ainly slide in kennel. I have a 2 hole insulated Northstar with drip trays that I bought used for $400 or $500. There is absolutely no comparison between this and a Ruffland or Gunner. If you can accept a semi permanent box (it take 2 people to easily remove it) give this route a consideration.

I think the Gunner crates are a very stout well made product that fill a niche market. I had one to try out for a few weeks and liked it but the weight, footprint, and cost with multiple dogs didn't work for me. If I'm going to spend that amount of money I would look at a used NorthStar, Deerskin, or Ainly slide in kennel. I have a 2 hole insulated Northstar with drip trays that I bought used for $400 or $500. There is absolutely no comparison between this and a Ruffland or Gunner. If you can accept a semi permanent box (it take 2 people to easily remove it) give this route a consideration.
The weight is the only downside....I don't mind the price to keep my dog safe but the weight

I called Ruffland and bought a second from them (30% less). It was missing some inserts in the top, other than that perfect. They are located near Sioux Falls if you are nearby and want to save on shipping

i guess it comes down to what you are trying to achieve...I have used the lower end crates for decades, and ruff land for the past 5 years, which I have 4 of and they fit nicely in my toyota sienna van with the back and 3rd seat removed. the only thing the expensive ones might do for my dogs is protect them in the event of a serious wreck...I have been in one car accident in my life, a modest collision that I caused about 35 years ago. I have to think my dogs are safer in my van in the ruff land crates than in a pull behind dog trailer? I put on 10k-15k miles per year hunting, probably more, and most of those miles are in pretty remote areas with pretty modest traffic, but that may not matter...not sure. One of my dogs is always in the passenger seat next to me...unsafe, I suppose, but that isn't going to change. I love the flexibility of the different doors on the ruff land crates, that they open from either side, that there are doors on both ends, or on the side, etc. I remove them for various reasons, they are easy to maneuver. I could see spending more...alot more...if the crate did something for me the ruff land crates were deficient in.

Back