Dog breeds

turtle

I have been watching the forum reading about how great one breed is and how your breed sucks. You all need to be proud of your dogs. You are the one that feeds them . You are the one who takes it or them to the vet. If you like your dog then that's all that matters. I have seen some great dogs and a lot of bad dogs. Breeds are just that breeds. I have 3 lab mixes I feed. One is crossed with a bull mastiff. You followers know him as Bow Turtle jrs all round go to cattle pig chicken chasing on the farm dog. In the field he is all hunting. My dog is lab water spaniel mutt cross that tries his best. My wife has the litter mate to mine . If my wife goes hunting her dog is top dog. If I take him he just screws up.
What I am trying to say is just be proud of what you are feeding. My dogs shit to close to the house and track it in at times. So does my son. Nobody or their dog is perfect. Keep that in mind while hacking on others dogs on here.

I love my 2 labs, 1 hunts and 1 is my wife's dog. Both are great, that's why I keep'em around. I resent any disparaging comments about my dog, until people see him work, and I have heard a few questionable comments beforehand. After they see him hunt, only compliments are received. Something about proving people wrong makes me very happy, but I won't tolerate someone berating my lab just because of their bad experiences. Rant over.

When someone asks me how my dog does. I usually answer with he finds more birds than I do. He does fine by me. Sure he could be better, but I know I usually miss at more than he does.

My dogs shit to close to the house and track it in at times. So does my son.

Great post and support of your dogs but this scares me some...I'm assuming one of two things...you live in the country or your toilet is broke...:p

I love having a young dog full of piss and vinegar!! GSP. He's learning and makes an ass out of himself periodically. I should call him Litmus!!! For he truly is the "test" of any future hunting partners (the human kind). I like to take people hunting with me as I am very, very, lucky to have access to a large amount of private hunting ground with good numbers. When Stan (or Litmus) my GSP starts making an ass out of himself as ALL dogs will do and which I expect, and for that matter, enjoy. Because through mistakes lessons are learned which make exceptional hunting dogs. Notwithstanding, Stan's screw-ups, if I hear a comments from a hunting partner..... "Damn!! Stan is flushing every bird on this 160 acres and we didn't shoot once!!!" or Stan likes to just eat the quail and not retrieve...... or why is Stan always pissing on my leg? In my head these words are uttered......."you're never coming out with me every again because you showed me who you are in just a few comments." Now on the positive side, I took an older gentle out with me this season and Stan flushed every bird on the two 80's we hunted and caught a quail that I thought he would retrieve and stopped about 20 yards away and chopped twice and swallowed the bird whole!!! He also pissed on this older gentleman's hat that fell off his head due to the wind!!! To this Man's credit these were his responses...... Stan is discovering how close he can get before the bird flushes, that will make him a good dog...... Stan likes quail as much as I do, don't blame him a bit.....be glad he doesn't know how to bread and fry them or he might never retrieve!!!! Looks like Stan is hydrated as his pee doesn't stink bad at all..... it's important that dogs get enough water when they hunt!!! Because of these statement he will forever be welcome to hunt with me and my dogs!!!!

Great post and support of your dogs but this scares me some...I'm assuming one of two things...you live in the country or your toilet is broke...:p

We do live in the country and the toilet at times is broken. That is a saying I grew up hearing from my dad. The crapping to close to the house and tracking it in.

When someone asks me how my dog does. I usually answer with he finds more birds than I do. He does fine by me. Sure he could be better, but I know I usually miss at more than he does.

Your dog does exactly what he is supposed to do. And I at times miss a lot too. It used to bug me a lot when I miss, now I just shake it off and think about the next one.

I don't give anyone a hard time about their dogs. As soon as I do mine will start acting like a bonehead.

So far I've had about every form of bird dog one way or the other. Labs, shorthairs, pointers, setters and springers. Got my first Brittany now Boomer sure eager to learn and a lover too. I think he's going to work out great. Also have a wirehair pup coming later this spring that will keep me busy all summer.

Back