Do not want too but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onpoint i own one because i saved her life from a bad situation... Now would i ever change that NO!! Because she is part of the family. She is the best trained dog i have. Shes is as gentle as a bernese mountain dog. But she wouldn't act aggressive towards someone that just comes over and knocks at the door! Onpoint i was saying if i wasn't there or if we were in bed and someone tried to break in, i expect her to protect, that goes with my hunting dog too. I expect him to react in a situation if it came down to it. The power of a dog doesn't really matter to me, trust me i have a weiner dog. The pit might only have one eye, but to me she doesn't look mean, or intimidating. She just reminds me of a good, loved, behaved dog, that deserved a second chance. And that goes back to the people that had her before, i don't think she was mistreated in like abused but was let out to roam the streets and she almost got hit by 4 semis. Then they decided they didnt want her so i saved her. If i wanted power, i would of got a great dane, saint bernard, mastiff.

I commend you for a big heart and so far she has worked out.

You still have to face the fact, that you know little about her breeding as you got her as a dog not a pup.. What the parents were like. How her litter mates turned out, Etc. IMO, she's still a gamble. Fact is, you can't predict or guarantee that any breed of dog won't bite or be aggressive at some time in their life. It's just more likely in breeds bred for fighting or guarding. That's why they were bred. They had a job to do.

My friends Pit that would flip out from time to time. He had the dog with him 24/7. They road with him everywhere he went.
They were family to him. He owned the mother and had the two litter mates from birth on. He was never abusive to them. They completely ate the inside of his Jeep Cherokee. Steering wheel, seats, you name it. He still has the female. Thing is, she was always gentle. Until the male would go after something. Then she would join right in. Finally a older lady was at the church bordering the property and she had 4 little house dogs. She went to walk down to the cemetery past their place and the male took after her and the dogs. She called the sheriff. This was like the 3rd incident with the law involved. They gave him a choice of having charges filed against him or putting the dog down. The dog lost.

The same male nearly killed two other dogs in two separate attacks. The one dog laid on a blanket for days before he was able to get back up. I offered to find him new home. Just to get him away from the Pit Bull. He would have eventually killed him I'm sure.

He went after our horses once but we have a donkey. Donkey's hate dogs. She put the run on that Pit Bull jaws snapping and hooves striking...The Pit Bull met his match and wanted nothing to do with getting his @$$ handed to him by that HEEHAW. He barely made it out of the fence...LOL

Last edited:
OP. How about chessies? I understand they can be aggressive but you raise them right?

quail hound, don't even go there. Chessies aren't biters, certainly not killers. Yes they will stand there ground. If you want to cross their line, go ahead. I won't, I'll back away everytime and nothing will become of it.

The difference is a pit will keep coming. Flip the switch and somebody is dead.
Pretend all you want, but the trigger is still there.

Happy holidays.:)

OP chime in anytime.

You know we can argue about this all week long, im sticking with my dog. She hasnt done anything to any body, and until she does or tries then ill worry about it. You cant walk around all the time looking out for mean animals. Take it as it comes. Some people have there ways, and judgements. Me im not a fan of certain races, but i dont hold anything against them, except ragheads. Same goes with dogs, well it should.

Akita,pitbull,chessie,drahthaar,lab,Brittany,or even a house cat if it's on your property killing your animals it's time to end it.

P.s.
Number 4 buck was made for pitbulls but an Akita would work too.

I just dont c y you would harm a dog! There mans best friend, call your local humane society and report it. They will take care of it. Or ask your neighbors to put up a fence. Theres no reason to shoot a dog.

The sheriff dept. couldn't do anything about it and you think a non profit org. is going to be able to solve it? When his dog is being attacked you expect him to pick up the phone. GMAFB

I'm with uplandhntr. Kill it quick and wipe your hands of the mess.

What was that GMAFB? IS that supposed to mean give me a (&^%)( break.. Man listen here you think shooting a damn dog is going to solve the problems. Idk maybe in wisconsin thats alright or maybe thats cool with you, but to me thats a little far. Now i can c if it is a coyote, but a dog that has a home. Around here in my parts you call the humane society and they come out and take care of it and try to find it another home. All i suggest is to try the humane society police officer they all have one, if not call dnr they might be able to help too. Thats only if the police wont do anything. And only reason i say to try that, i would be pretty upset if someone shot my dog, id probably be mad. Which i dont have a problem doing, i rather have my dogs than people around..... :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to shoot it, shoot to kill. I don't know if you have ever had to kill a dog, it did not pleasure me. Some years ago a neighbor down the street had a boxer mix that was fairly aggressive. We all live on a few acres and his house was across the road maybe six or eight hundred yards diagonally from mine. The dog would come up the drive and run my young kids out of the yard from time to time while I was at work. He did this to others on our road. I called several times and asked if they would keep their dog out of my yard. Finally I had enough after the dog came after my wife one night. I called and was informed that my kids need to learn how to deal with a barking dog from the owners wife. I let her know if it came on my property again that her kids would have to learn how to deal with a dead one. Two days later I killed it. I let the Sheriff know what happened and he came and took the dog over to them. It made me sick to my stomach for a couple weeks. I love dogs and I hated to have to do it but if it comes down to it do what you have to do, but don't put it in misery if you can help it. After all it isn't the dogs fault it is the dumazz owner.

OP. How about chessies? I understand they can be aggressive but you raise them right?

Yes they can be and many times it's bred right onto them. Just because the owner is a super nice guy doesn't mean the dog will be. Many breeders have done there best to try and breed that characteristic out of them but they still exist. I'm not going to try and sell somebody a bill of goods that is nothing more then hog wash. I won't have a aggressive one on the place, nor will it EVER! be bred or doing any breeding if it carries that kind of temperament.

Comparing the Chesapeake to a Pit Bull is like comparing a J walker to a murder in my book. A dog that may bite and one that has shown the ability to "Kill" is a big difference.

Happy new years everyone.

Last edited:
Comparing the Chesapeake to a Pit Bull is like comparing a J walker to a murder in my book. A dog that may bite and one that has shown the ability to "Kill" is a big difference.

OP. I respect your opinions and I always look forward to your posts but comparing a breed of dogs to a murderer is one of the most inflammatory things I've ever read on this forum.

It's amazing that I've been around pit bulls my ENTIRE life and I'm still alive, in fact I've never been attacked, bitten, or even growled a by a pit bull.:eek:

quail Hound, I respect you and enjoy your posts as well.

Pit Bulls have earned their reputation. This isn't just some fictitious made up thing.

"Certain counties and cities in the United States have outright banned ownership of the American Pit Bull terrier, as well as the province of Ontario in Canada[26][30]. American Pit Bull Terriers are also on a list of four breeds that are banned in the UK"

Denver, Colorado

The most controversial pit bull ban in the U.S. was enacted by the City and County of Denver in 1989. Over the course of 22 years, the ban has withstood numerous battles in state and federal courts. On each occasion, the City and County of Denver has prevailed. The litigious history of the ban, and Denver's consistent victories, has helped many cities adopt similar measures. The Denver pit bull ban is undoubtedly the beacon that illustrates the legal viability of breed-specific pit bull laws.

It's obvious I'm not alone IMO.

I think we have went about as far as we can go on this. I don't in anyway mean any disrespect towards you. I have seen and read far too many bad things about these dogs. Seeing some little kid mauled and disfigured for life from one of these breeds is something that sticks with you for life.

Here are some statistics. Pit Bulls far out number any other breed for attacks.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

I'm done with this. I respect your opinion..Happy New Years Quail Hound

Onpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back