do any of you guys hunt with

No, but before I bought another Brittany earlier this year I was looking at a lot of other breeds of hunting dogs. Mainly the rare breeds. This was one breed I came across that I was not familiar with. I think they look an awful lot like a Small Munsterlander Pointer. If you go to the forum on this site www.versatiledogs.com and do a search you should find some threads on this breed.

I've read that these dogs can be hard to work with and that there has been some agression in the breed. If you like this type of dog you might be better served to look at the Large Munsterlander Pointer. They are very similar in looks and size. The LMP has been around longer and has a better reputation.

Its still early for me my pup is 9 .. I guess retrieving is the most important dove and ducks but I am wanting to get into upland hunting more with a pup. The dog part is my favorite part of hunting .. Thats why I am looking more into those types of breeds. Thanks

I have seen a couple at a training day for NAVHDA. Nice dogs but were slow covering the ground compared to a GSP or GWP. Another good dog to look at is the wirehaired griffon. Any of the versatile dogs will do what you want.

I've got to put in a plug for labradors. I'm on numbers 4 & 5 through my 20 years of marriage. All were pets/house dogs and hunters and you couldn't find any more loyal and friendly companions. For pheasants, many of the professional outfitters choose them over pointers.

Just my 2 cents worth as a lab lover.
Regards,
Tom

Never hunted with one or even seen one that I know of but If you want a versatile dog that will hunt fur, feather, and waterfowl and buy one from a breeder that tests them to the german system I'd imagine they'd be a great hunting dog for you.

I have Deutsch Kurzhaar and very pleased. Only use him for upland birds though is a good retriever, but he could not take cold water for waterfowling. Might want to take a look at the Deutsch Draather, its the #1 breed in Germany. A few guys on the forum have them.

Stick by your guns Sally, I too have longed for a German Longhair. They are nice looking dogs that should do well in a versatile position hunting upland birds and waterfowl. They have the look of a setter with the build of a golden. I'd go with a kennel that has a long record of producing the type of dog you want.

All I can say is that the German testing system works. The versitle hunter is what I wanted too. Ducks, pheasants, fur. I decided on a Drahthaar (wirehair pointer) from Vom Wildflugel kennels in Nebraska. No formal training just lots of field time and the dog put it all together on his own. I thought about the longhair pointer as they are beautiful dogs but did not want to deal with difficulties from the coat (ie stickers, briars, and burrs). That was my main reason for picking the wirehair. I would not trade Quill to save my life!

Back