Curing

Phil V.

Has anybody ever heard of curing pheasant or any other game bird? I was reading an article about it and was wondering if anybody has done it before.

i have heard of gutting and hanging them in a cool, dry place for a couple days, fully feathered......makes no sense to me.

The article that I was reading had a pic showing phez with head and feathers on with a hook through the nose hanging in a fridge. It said the fridge was set at 55 degrees.The guy said to leave hang like this for 7-10 days. That is what I was asking about.Sorry about not being more specific.Iplan on getting a book that is mentioned in the article.The title is River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. I'll let you know if I find it and where at...Phil

Here is the website where I read the article that made ask the question. www.honest-food.net It is under upland bird recipes.

I brined a bunch of pheasants last year and then smoked them. It tasted just like ham.

Do them whole?

I wonder if a guy could bundle some breast filets together and make a larger mass of boneless 'ham'?

Got a brine recipe?

I have heard of old timers doing this a bunch, with ducks , whatever. But not sure I would want to try it. Might just end up in the bathroom more then one likes.:D But if done right I guess it tenderizes and adds to the flavor. Good luck.

Do them whole?

I wonder if a guy could bundle some breast filets together and make a larger mass of boneless 'ham'?

Got a brine recipe?

We did the whole cleaned bird. They were skinned too. Afterwards we did say that it would be better to just do the breasts.

I will try and find the brine recipe we used. I know it was water, vinegar, brown sugar, worschester sauce, and a few other things.

I posted this about a recipe on this forum, but it really fits here so thought I would repeat. I take almost all game - duck breasts, pheasants(what few I get here in AR), dove, goose, etc. - clean them thoroughly, wash well and drain. Put them in colander, put that in a bowl that will catch any moisture that might drip off and cover lightly with foil or saran wrap to prevent drying of the meat. Let this sit in fridge for 3-4 days and it seems to help with tenderness and taste.

I think that "rotting" might be interchangeable with "curing" in this case.

Hanging or curing is like aging beef. It allows the meat to break down adding flavor and tenderizing the meat. I am leery of it, but if you know what you're doing it would probably work.

Don't know about birds, but have always done it with venison - depending on weather or availability of a walk-in cooler, anywhere from 2-5 days hanging/aging be4 packaging & freezing makes the meat a whole lot more tender & flavorful - instantly cutting up & packaging/freezing wild-game meat upon harvest or straight outta the cooler is the surest fire method I know for tough as nails & often a strong, gamey flavor to boot (and we wonder why so many people don't like wild game).

Keep it in the shade at all times, covered from flies & well-aerated in a breezy area whenever possible (with no direct sunlight falling on meat at any time)...Have to admit this is almost impossible to pull off during hotter hunting weather without the help of a climate-controlled cooler - but it's well worth the effort & once you have tasted the difference, you will never go back... :thumbsup:

Not a big fan of brine-soaking. No need to go killing the flavor of good meat if you care for it properly in the first place...Actually, come to think of it I have on occasion inadvertently or in a rush left birds in the fridge for several days be4 eating & they were much more tender & tasted way better than the ones that got frozen or eaten immediately... :cheers:

hen,hen,Rooster,you and sneem hit the nail on the head. That is what the article I read was talking about on letting them hang and cure ehis way for a few days.In this case it was phez they was doing it with.That is what I was wondering about if anybody had done this with phez or any other game bird.

The article that I was reading had a pic showing phez with head and feathers on with a hook through the nose hanging in a fridge. It said the fridge was set at 55 degrees.The guy said to leave hang like this for 7-10 days. That is what I was asking about.Sorry about not being more specific.Iplan on getting a book that is mentioned in the article.The title is River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall. I'll let you know if I find it and where at...Phil

I would call this aging. Curing involves brine soaking as I understand it.

That's the way I've always heard it too. I always try to let my steaks get a little green around the edges before cooking them.[/QU

Dry aged beef is the best IMO.

depending on weather or availability of a walk-in cooler, anywhere from 2-5 days hanging/aging be4 packaging & freezing makes the meat a whole lot more tender & flavorful

Weather permitting I do the same with deer. I notice sizable difference in how easy the knife cuts through the meat once the deer has hung for a few days.

I don't see why this method wouldn't work on birds. I'll have to give it a try this season and see what happens. ;)

One other note; I've always seen this done by hanging pheasants by the head not the feet. I suppose this is to keep the gut juices from getting into the meat.(?)

Back