CRP question

RONMN

hunted N. E. South Dakota first week of Dec. Having morning coffee with local farmer friends. So I ask Jeff about a piece of his crp and no food plot as he has had one there a least 10 years. he said he renewed the piece in crp and was happy at 172 per acre but was told no food plot as it was considered baiting. he said he will go higher up the b.s. chain for another answer.

Is that CRP or WRP? WRP sometimes pays more, but has different rules?

I would love to see $172/acre CRP. Mine went in at $50, renewed at $43 and I had an offer to put it back in for fifteen years at $31. During that period of time the land value went from about $400/A to $1,700/A. It is no wonder that in southwest Kansas the CRP acreage is down.

Same happening here in Iowa. Prices are still going down, but at $9,000 an acre vs $65 for CRP, I understand, but don't like it.

I didn't know food plots were not allowed on CRP acres anymore but the fact is grass raises wildlife and not food plots. This is a huge generalization but food plots are for hunters to kill birds, in 90% of the cases.

As a fairly simple generalization of the federal law on baiting, standing crops are not baiting if they are not artificially manipulated. As long as standard, agriculturally accepted practices are followed, the crop standing as it was grown is not baiting. If that crop is shattered, knocked down, or by some other means moved or dispersed, it would be baiting.

As a fairly simple generalization of the federal law on baiting, standing crops are not baiting if they are not artificially manipulated. As long as standard, agriculturally accepted practices are followed, the crop standing as it was grown is not baiting. If that crop is shattered, knocked down, or by some other means moved or dispersed, it would be baiting.

This is true. I am guessing its strictly a habitat thing. If it is a WRP contract instead of CRP that may explain the difference in food plots though. Typically WRP is in and around the wetlands. I am not to familiar with the WRP though.

I thought they discontinued the WRP program. $172 an acre is more than most people I know are receiving in Iowa. I'm elated mine went from $80 to $145 in 2011

I believe they need to get food plots on CRP OK'd by the local FSA. If it didn't make sense to have one there the local office might have just decided it wasn't worth allowing it.

If it is for upland birds then there are no baiting laws that apply in SD. You can bait small game if you want to. For migratory birds (other then doves) and all big game you can plant food plots you just can't manipulate it outside of normal agricultural practices.

Tim

This crp. is a quarter long but only 17acres so it is very narrow in places. It is between 2 drainages/cattails and hard to get at most years.I don't know if this small piece has something to do will the price he told me.

This crp. is a quarter long but only 17acres so it is very narrow in places. It is between 2 drainages/cattails and hard to get at most years.I don't know if this small piece has something to do will the price he told me.

That is exactly why the food plot is not allowed. That makes sense now.

Back