crops aren't getting planted

Sounds like most of the wheat got planted from the guys Ive talked to. Some
Corn in but not much. One guy though that farms about 12K acres has half his corn done and thought would be back at it later this week. Guessing it will be very area specific as to what gets planted and what doesn’t. Time will tell.

Planting isn't going well in the Pierre area. Spring wheat acres are way down because of spring conditions. I know a few guys that for the first time ever did not plant any spring wheat. Corn acres are way down as well. Just got another 2-3 inches of rain over the last 48 hrs. At the earliest guys will be back in field next week but the forecast isn't looking good. We typically do not grow a lot of soybeans out here so I'm guessing sunflowers and milo acres will be way up and lots of acres will be summer fallowed with tons of winter wheat planted this fall. Conditions suck for nesting birds right now to wet and cold. Grass conditions are looking great though. We need sun and warm weather soon.

Father in-law farms in SE SD and he has planted less then 80 acres of corn and likely will give up on corn and switch to beans within the next 5 days. He generally has 2-3k of corn.

spoke to a farmer for 45 minutes today that farms about 3500-4000 acres...not going to go into detail, but it is probable that you will never have seen, nor will you ever see again in your life, the state of the farm fields that you will see this fall if you go to SD...much of the state is in this condition...wet. I really don't know how the hens can be nesting...seriously. Don't want to sound dramatic, but it could be a really tough season. However, with no standing crops--for sure no corn, at least in my areas--the birds will have no place to hide, so wherever there is cover there will be some birds, albeit carryover from last year? Who knows...I will probably go out there soon...

spoke to a farmer for 45 minutes today that farms about 3500-4000 acres...not going to go into detail, but it is probable that you will never have seen, nor will you ever see again in your life, the state of the farm fields that you will see this fall if you go to SD...much of the state is in this condition...wet. I really don't know how the hens can be nesting...seriously. Don't want to sound dramatic, but it could be a really tough season. However, with no standing crops--for sure no corn, at least in my areas--the birds will have no place to hide, so wherever there is cover there will be some birds, albeit carryover from last year? Who knows...I will probably go out there soon...

What part of the state was this from?

It's not just South Dakota. Spending time with in-laws in SE MO. They are really sweating it and much of the mid west is in the same shape. Nephews wife's family farms 8000 acres in ILL and they are in bad shape as well. It's shaping up to be really bad. Irrigated can go in late but the rest is too much of a gamble. West of MO is just as bad. Terrible year all over and more on the way.

I have driven around the countryside in the Watertown area and what you see is difficult to believe. The fields are absolutely saturated. Water standing every where. If we had dry and sunny weather for the next two weeks I don't know if they could get into the fields. Unfortunately the forecast is for rain and thunder storms 5 out of the next 7 days. I talked to my neighbor who farms between Watertown and Clark. He said he may just leave his fields black this year. This certainly does not bode well for the pheasants. I'm assuming some pheasants have started to nest and with all the wet weather that's not going to help the hatch.

most of the corn belt is in this condition in SD...this area is between mitchell and huron, but most areas that grow good corn yields are this way. farmer suicides will be garnering much attention, they already are....

I read yesterday about $16 billion farm aide because of the tariff fight with China. Might be a saving grace for some that aren’t able to get anything in. Praying for the best for all involved.

Last edited:
I read yesterday about multi billion $ farm aide because of the tariff fight with China. Might be a saving grace for some that aren’t able to get anything in. Praying for the best for all involved.

think the aide last year for soybeans that were impacted due to tariff issues required a harvested crop...standing beans didn't even count...no crop won't count I believe...because a tariff doesn't hurt a black dirt field...my thoughts...hope I am wrong

think the aide last year for soybeans that were impacted due to tariff issues required a harvested crop...standing beans didn't even count...no crop won't count I believe...because a tariff doesn't hurt a black dirt field...my thoughts...hope I am wrong

SD to Texas.... thru Nebraska and Kansas......western Iowa is a train wreck too. not all of it, but the huge majority is a lost for most any row crop planned for this year. for bird hunting i am going for release and shoot closer to home, with a young dog it is only fair to get him some experience, even with pen raised birds. tromping through mud caked, bare fields is a waste of time........adjustments have to be made, as many pay to hunt preserves will reap the benefits.......i am just glad they are a viable option....no regrets.

Last edited:
Where we hunt in SD 2013 was by far the worst year I've experienced. 11 inches of rain in April. Week long trip with five guys only 7 birds. We generally average that or more a day. I tried to switch it up and plan a ND trip boom the drought is on. This year trying to plan a trip to Kansas and rain rain rain. Although I've been chasing pheasants on and off for 40 years it seems like year after year these days it's doom and gloom. Thinking about trading in my shotguns for my bow. The deer population is through the roof.

Where we hunt in SD 2013 was by far the worst year I've experienced. 11 inches of rain in April. Week long trip with five guys only 7 birds. We generally average that or more a day. I tried to switch it up and plan a ND trip boom the drought is on. This year trying to plan a trip to Kansas and rain rain rain. Although I've been chasing pheasants on and off for 40 years it seems like year after year these days it's doom and gloom. Thinking about trading in my shotguns for my bow. The deer population is through the roof.

If it warms up, it should be a great nesting season. It's when it's wet & cold that nests/broods have a tough time.

I hope there have been sufficient places to lay eggs that aren't wet...

oh boy.......looks like SD is getting hammered again today. many counties are recommending no travel on gravel roads after dark.....high water everywhere.
hope it is not as bad as it sounds.

Unfortunately it is. I've driven to Philip and back to Sioux Falls the beginning of the month. A guy I deer hunt with is 83 and he said he's seeing water in places he's never seen it before. Also drove to Chamberlain and back last weekend. Have friends and family scattered across eastern SD. Every single one of them I've talked to report the same thing that you all are hearing. Not many crops getting planted. I worry that there will be no place for the pheasants to nest. Black mud fields or slough and grass that is full of water.

It will for sure be the first time in 27 seasons that I will see no standing corn in the counties i hunt...sure, they may be a few acres planted...but basically, no corn planted...nor will there be...

I hope there have been sufficient places to lay eggs that aren't wet...

I don't think that'll be a problem. Yes, the wetness is widespread & severe in places, but I think it's been wet for so long that the birds would've been forced to nest on higher ground to begin with. They need warmth now.

Talked to my friend/farmer/lodge owner near Winner actually Hamill—
Said if rain will ease up a bit he will be ok in that area-still time to get corn in and then beans
Pheasant cover and food plots don’t go in until until mid/late June
Plenty of cover left over for nesting
Will be going thru that area and on through Sioux Falls and up the eastern part of state to Fargo before heading east to home on Tuesday and Wednesday to have a look—

Any updates?

Also, what happens if the deadlines for crop insurance aren’t met? Is there other crops that can get planted in late June/early July and still be a viable option for the farmers?

Do they just not till the ground until next spring and let it go to whatever grasses pop up? I know there would be zero income, or is there insurance available to cover that (if bought early enough I’m guessing). From what I’m gathering, this is all uncharted waters, as these types of conditions have not been seen before in this magnitude.

Last edited:
Back