Crop progress

A lot of crops were planted early in the NE part of the state thus maturity should be early as well. Pretty sure soybeans will be coming down next week.

looks like a big swath of rain over SD this morning. too late for the corn and soybeans, but will sure help replunish the subsoil moisture levels.

Drove through SD early this morning en route to ND for sharps and huns. Most soybeans I’ve ever seen in SD. Seriously think there is as much soybeans as corn if not more. I guess a lot of corn already harvested / bailed due to its condition. Saw 3 pheasants total driving the corridor from Mitchell to Aberdeen early this morning. I was a little discouraged to say the least.

A neighbor started corn, he said it is 20 % moisture. I have driven from here to Wessington Springs a few times lately. I don't see any road kill pheasants. Not that I like to see dead pheasants but it is an indicator.

Starting to see the first of the beans being taken out here in the Watertown area. Things are turning real quick!!

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. September 27, 2021 - For the week ending September 26, 2021, there were 6.3 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 28% very short, 39% short, 31% adequate, and 2% surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 39% very short, 37% short, 24% adequate, and 0% surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 16% very poor, 26% poor, 35% fair, 21% good, and 2% excellent. Corn mature was 70%, behind 78% last year, but ahead of 55% for the five-year average. Harvested was 10%, near 9% last year, and ahead of 5% average.
Soybean condition rated 11% very poor, 25% poor, 40% fair, 22% good, and 2% excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 92%, near 89% last year, and ahead of 78% average. Harvested was 17%, behind 26% last year, but near 13% average.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. October 4, 2021 - For the week ending October 3, 2021, there were
4.9 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 23% very short, 39% short, 37% adequate, and 1% surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 34% very short, 37% short, 29% adequate, and 0% surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 13% very poor, 28% poor, 35% fair, 23% good, and 1% excellent. Corn mature was 87%, near 89% last year, but ahead of 69% for the five-year average. Harvested was 18%, near 19% last year, but ahead of 10% average.
Soybean condition rated 9% very poor, 29% poor, 38% fair, 23% good, and 1% excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 96%, near 95% last year, and ahead of 89% average. Harvested was 40%, behind 56% last year, but ahead of 28% average.

I went from Watertown to Sioux Falls and back today and from what I saw the majority of beans have been harvested and I saw several fields of corn being combined. With our above normal temps and relatively dry conditions I would expect the harvest to really get into full swing in the coming weeks.

I saw the first corn being combined last night in Codington County. Barring significant moisture, I'd be willing to guess that the corn harvest will begin in earnest early next week in this neck of the woods.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. October 18, 2021 - For the week ending October 17, 2021, there were
4.8 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 20% very short, 31% short, 44% adequate, and 5% surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 30% very short, 27% short, 38% adequate, and 5% surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 13% very poor, 29% poor, 37% fair, 20% good, and 1% excellent. Corn mature was 96%, near 98% last year, but ahead of 89% for the five-year average. Harvested was 51%, behind 60% last year, but well ahead of 27% average.
Soybeans harvested was 86%, near 89% last year, but well ahead of 57% average.

Back