Crazy

raankin76

Is it crazy that this time of year all i wont to do is take my dog and go for a hunt.the hunting around these parts isnt even that great.I have two little girls that would love to go with me, but are to young.So i try to make time for everyone the best i can.My wife can look at me and just see im going stir crazy.She will then tell me to get out,I think i have problems or just birds on the mind.

I'd call you normal, at least normal for most of the guys on this website. Pretty much all I think about from October-January is pheasants. When I'm not hunting, I'm planning the next trip to hunt. The wife doesn't understand, but that's ok. What she does understand is during the winter this is the norm for our house. I have two little ones at home and both are very interested in it. My two year old son has a toy over/under and he'll point that thing at the pheasant pictures in the basement and act like he's hunting. Won't be long and they'll be right there beside me, I can't wait!

I guess your in the same condition a lot of us are. Both the wishing and the bird population. Used to be really strong pheasant population around Yakima, my cousins used to farm out from there toward White Swan, beets, hops, beans, always saw a lot of birds, but that was 40 years ago! I can't beat the bird fever either, and I've tried for years, no cure, Our bird population is in the pits, I could shoot ducks and geese out my back door, literally, don't even bother, having to drive further and further to find decent upland, but unwilling to quit. One of those death do us part deals. Good Luck!

I sure dont know what it was like before five years ago,im sure it was a lot better.just the way people farm theres's not much left for birds.when I was in north dakota I saw what real bird habitat looked like.I wont give up though im just too stubborn.And there still are birds you just have to work harder.Ill just try to save money for another trip next year to the dakotas.I really would rather hunt wild birds instead of planted birds.

I think most "real" hunters would much rather hunt wild birds. The only time I even entertain the thought of hunting pen-raised birds is after the regular season ends, and I'm not ready to quit!

I'm right there with you. I lost my dog in June and my hunting was limited as I don't have any interest in going without a dog. I'm waiting for a puppy and am looking forward to training, but right now am a bit lost. Losing the dog and not hunting much has left an empty feeling. At least other post-season times the dog was there for walking and he'd be out ice fishing with me. I'm old enough to not want to wish away time, but I'm really looking forward to working the new pup and next fall's bird season. Watched some pheasant hunting on the outdoor channel this morning before work and that makes me even more homesick for the field.

A Happy New Year to all of you fellow bird hunters out there!

I think most "real" hunters would much rather hunt wild birds. The only time I even entertain the thought of hunting pen-raised birds is after the regular season ends, and I'm not ready to quit!

I know that feeling exactly wildcat. I kept hunting on pen raised birds just because I didn't want to quit and sit around waiting for the next season to open up. This year I think I'm just going to call it good. Possibly try to see if snow goose in the spring months will ease this pain from not being able to hunt as much.

ranger rick

Im real sorry to here about your dog,I feel for you.My gsp Maggie is my first bird dog.I dont know what ill do when I lose her.I know ill get anouther dog but she'll be hard to replace. I wish you the best luck.May you have many birds with your new pup.

I also save up a few bucks and comp/vac time to visit the Dakota's each year for a couple of weeks. The bird hunting around Moscow and Lewiston is decent but just doesn't compare to the midwest. I was out yesterday and managed to scratch down one rooster and five quail but had to walk ~ 6 miles for them.

R-76, I know your feeling, I live in the same part of the state as you. It is the pits to go hunting, wanting to put your young dog on some Pheasants to point. Only problem is wild bird are so few that it is an exercise in futility......Bob

I wish I had the bird numbers in Pa. that you guys have out west. The only huntable quail or pheasant around me are pen raised birds on a preserve or pheasants released by the state for a 5 week pheasant season that ends right after Thanksgiving. Parts of the state are trying to re-establish wild pheasants but they are not allowed to be hunted (yet). And the 1200+ miles between me and SD and KS makes it tough to get out there.

Kansas put a lot of effort into creating better habitat for our upland birds. It's one thing we've done really well, and have obviously received national recognition for it.

"If you build it, they will come".

Definately not crazy. But if you don't go, you will become crazy. Pheasant hunting is where Me and the dogs go to find our peace.

I, too have been dogless this season . . . I've managed to swap my knowledge of areas to hunt for the opportunity to hunt over other's dogs in the interim. Every Pheasant hunter prefers to hunt . . . Pheasants! Wild birds first, but planted birds are the second option . . . game farm birds fill-in the gaps when "the fever still rages." Harvested my first Rooster in 1958 & have been addicted ever since . . . times have changed, but the passion hasn't lessened. As my Sainted Father once told me: "Son, you have to pick the fruit where you find the tree." It is what it is, but I refuse to let what I can't do interfere with what I can do.

Back