Crazy Hunting Stories - 1st Annual Post

GSP_Pike

Now I know many of us have a few stories to share that certainly should make the rest of us smile or laugh so perhaps we can share some on this post and next year it will be the second annual. I will start by sharing a story that happened this bird hunting season.

I would consider myself a veteran pheasant hunter, I started in MN (1983) and hunted often in SD over the past 12 years. This year I hunted in CO for the second time since moving here in 1998, mostly because I heard the bird numbers were much improved and my SD friends said there were more ducks in the areas we hunt pheasants. So this year, my girlfriend and I hunted together, she would drop me and the dog off and then pick us up at the other end so I didnt have to walk with the wind.

On this particular day, we were hunting the traditional mile by mile red switch grass, she usually follows behind so the dog doesnt run to the car towards the end. While following behind us, she notices that I shot a rooster, she gets excited and comes up on us. I ended up wounding the bird and my year old GSP pup wont retrieve it. She gets out of the car to help find the bird. We look for about 15 minutes; I am about to give up when she yells LOOK, I turn around and she is about 30 yards from me holding the rooster in one hand and its tail in the other hand. I walk over to her and she tells me she scene its tail feathers sticking out of a hole so she grabbed its tail and it ripped off. It was still trying to get away and she reached down the hole and grabbed the rest of it. Who needs a retriever when she is around...WOW!

I couldnt believe it but sure enough there was a hole right next to her feet and the bird was still alive. Well, that is a first for me. We ended up getting a limit that day after about 5 hours of hunting. This year, it was the only day we did get a limit of roosters and it certainly wouldnt of been possible without her hunting skills!

:10sign:

Wing Shot

This year I was hunting private land in Idalia, CO with my elk hunting buddies. We had 5 hunters, where 4 hunters were hunting a tree row with 2 walkers and 2 blockers. I went across the street to hunt a very small tree row with me and the dog. Sure enough: 2 roosters fly up and I get a quick shot and bust the first wooster. I take my eyes off the one I shot and trust the dog on the retrive....next thing I've missed the 2nd bird and the dog has run the entire tree row. Not thinking to quickly I call the dog back looking for a dead bird. After 15 mins of combing the thick stuff; my friends dogs fetch up a wounded bird across the road. My friends dog ends up dropping the bird and this bird is out running 2 dogs.... Finally my friends connect with this bird and bag it. The bird had been wing shot....Boy those suckers can run fast... Being private land and the only hunters around lead us to the conclusion this was the bird I had shot....Maybe Nike should endorse these track stars.

A tall tail - or a bird in the bag beats a bird in the bush

So, we hit a favorite spot for a first thing in the morning walk.. A long row of older trees, mixed in with a large corner with pheasants forever rows through some good red grass cover, that heads uphill and comes to a point..... always good for a bird or two..

Walking through the red grass, the dogs flushed a couple dozen Quail.. we all had heavy shot, wind, and expected the birds to be skittish.. so we let the little guys go.... made it up the hill - Cassidy on point - one up, one down.

Made it back to the truck, getting packed up for a drive down the road... Skip, put his vest, with the bird, on the hood as we got the dogs kenneled..

All of a sudden, I see something out of the corner of my eye, as Dan started yelling.. turned around as the wiley old bird ran into the tree row... Yup, that rooster made his way out of the game bag, hopped down from the hood, and took off.. he was free!

Turned the dogs loose in the trees.. took 5 minutes, but sure enough, here comes Cassidy out of the heavy brush with rooster in mouth...

I guess you could call that a double retrieve???

Oh, the bird was cleaned before we went any further..

Goatman

This story starts last year. I took a friend who I work with pheasant hunting and in one field his GSP goes on point, he kicks the bush and nothing flushes so he releases the dog. She moves 6 inches to the left and goes right back to pointing the bush. He kicks it again and nothing flushes so he bends down and looks and sure enough he pulls out a Rooster. He put it in his game bag and when we get back to the truck he tells us the story and we don't believe him so he pulls the bird out and is holding it and it is looking at us. It was truly hilarious.

This year I am hunting with the same guy and we are in a different field and the same thing happens. His dog goes on point and I see him tromping around kicking and nothing flushes, I figure his dog is pointing where a bird has been and go to my dog who is on point. When we get back to the the truck he says he got a bird and I tell him I didn't hear a shot and he said he didn't need to shoot and pulls the live pheasant out of his vest.

For as wiley as the birds were the last two years I can't believe he has caught two birds with out shooting.

Dog points a small patch of Kochia weed in a Kansas CRP field.
I go in to flush....no bird....dog continues to point....I stomp around a bit....rooster flies up and hits me right in the chest!
It flew straight away after it bounced off me and I nailed it at 25 yards.
I'll never forget that one.

Hunting South Dakota with my brother in a small area of deep grass, my brother was blocking as the dogs work the area. Both dogs get birdie and they start working towards my brother. There are times in standing corn or sorgum that your hear the birds running making a lot of noise. So the gass is buzzing with noise and both of us are anticipating a flock of pheasants to flush, my brother waits......Up out of the grass raises two turkeys, wing spans of 5 feet looking like 10 as they bolt toward my brother, who went from an adrenalin rush of excitement to terror as these monster birds flew at him and then over his head. Still makes me laugh when I remember the panic look on his face as he was frozen in confusion.

So I'm not sure of the exact details of this story but my Dad has told it several times and I from the sounds of it, it was the funniest thing he's ever witnessed.

It was sometime back in the late 60's, somewhere in the Gallatin Valley outside Bozeman, MT, where he and his brother were hunting some sloughs for Mallards and Roosters.

Apparently they were crossing some rancher's pasture to get back to the truck when they noticed a domestic ram with a big set of horns looking at them from a distance. They took note but disregarded it, assuming it was just a tame barnyard critter. Bad choice! Within seconds, the territorial ram had begun its charge and was closing the distance quickly. They both began sprinting to get to the fence but my Dad, being older, was able to get over the fence in time, little brother wasn't so lucky!

Supposedly he tried to fend it off with the butt of his shotgun but the ram wouldn't let him move. Every time the ram charged he went down and then the ram would back off, only to charge and butt him again once he got back up. Dad said this went on for minutes and of course being an older brother he found great joy in watching the situation unfold!

Finally, he was able to crawl to the fence and get under it but was seriously battered and bruised. While it's a funny story, my uncle said he was actually pretty terrified and was seriously considering dropping the hammer on the bastard! Never underestimate livestock!

Last edited:
Good Stories so far and thanks for sharing! I enjoy reading them.

Mine is not as crazy as the others posted above but I will share it anyways :).I have a few actually but I will post this one because it was on Opening day this year in CO. I was out hunting with a couple of friends, my brother, my dad and my 11 year old son and it was his first pheasant hunt ever. We were all working a red grass field on a corn circle and my dog gets really birdy and the rooster goes up in the air, one shot and it goes down. We put it in my bag and keep moving. We are right about the end and another comes out the side and it goes down. So we all stop and we are checking out the birds and the one in my bag is still alive, so I show my son how to ring its neck......well he kept ringing it until the head came off HAHA. That look on his face was PRICELESS as he was holding the head in his hand.

So as we all stand there laughing and giving the dogs water, out comes a Rooster and a hen in cover... no bigger than maybe 2' x 2' section of grass and only maybe 6" tall LOL. The other funny thing was how did we not see them they were literally 10' from us and I don't know how they sat there that long before they busted. We all just look at each other and laugh again as nobody had there gun ready. It was a pretty fun day and one that I will remember forever :). A few pics from that day and the headless rooster HAHA. Enjoy!

Here is my son and I. My yellow pointing lab Maximus and my Old Man's dog Duke.

AverymeandMaxandDuke.jpg

roosterwithamissinghead.jpg

Last edited:
2009 - 2010 season on some private land in Yuma. It's me and two friends making a long walk around the edge of a corn circle, there's about 4 inches of snow on the ground with some good size drifts. We're kicking up a few birds here and there and it seemed like all the birds flushing close were hens with all the roosters taking off before we got close enough. We could see the birds flying towards a shelter belt on the far side of the field and we start making our way slowly to the trees. We're about 50 yards from the trees when I step into a small snow drift. As luck would have it I stepped right onto a good size branch that was covered by snow with my right foot. I start to slide forward on the branch and as I'm trying to catch my balance the back of the branch pokes up through the snow, catches my left foot and sends me and my gun face forward into the snow drift. Right about this time I hear all heck erupt and I'm listening to birds take off from every hiding spot in the area and both my buddies unloading on them. I finally get to my feet only to have my face covered in snow and snow stuck all over my glasses. I pull my glasses off, give them a quick cleaning, throw my gun up to my shoulder and see the barrel covered in snow. I unshouldered my gun, emptied the chamber and magazine and looked down the barrel only to find it plugged with snow. While all this is going on my buddies had dropped two roosters each and were standing there laughing their butts off.
I didn't have a bore snake and it took me a half hour to clean out the barrel. I finally had to unlace one of my boots, tie the lace to a long stick and pull the lace and a piece of rag through the barrel to get it clean. To this day they still ask me if I wouldn't mind flushing birds for them. They're still trying to teach me how to retrieve.

I guess that I can admit it now

Several years ago (+15 at least).
My buddy and I were parked on a road watching a few huntsmen work a rather large CRP field.
I had recently acquired a Lab from a friends wife ( he had passed away that summer and she just couldn't handle the dog by herself)... Well, this old hound was a decent (not great) field trialer.... and quite honestly I wasn't sure about his phez hunting prowness.

These fellows were out busting up the birds and we were parked maybe 700-800 yds away. I don't know what possessed me, but I thought that it would be a good idea to just air the dog out while we watched.......BAD IDEA.

A few shots later, here was that ole hound closing in on a retrieve that was clearly none of his business and well end of story. I was brought a bird that wasn't mine and throughly embarrassed at the same time. We did return the bird to where there truck was parked....but we didn't stick around to make acquaintances......

YEP...that was ME (sheepish Grin) ......and YES, been very sorry and embarrassed for all these years.

P.S. the old hound was found a better home after that season....just didn't work out.

Back