Coyote V Dog

I’m of the opinion coyotes don’t do the damage to pheasant populations that they are commonly thought to do.
That is true. Skunks and coons will wipe out more nests that a whole pack of coyotes will kill. Some say coyotes actually help by killing the coons and skunks. I've heard guys for years blame predators for declines in small game numbers. Typical human behavior, blame anything but ourselves.

My old Sky dog was Thor bred and had some wheels. I hunted out by Oakley and in a mile and a half long wheat stubble field he pointed a tumbleweed. A coyote flushed from it and headed away. Sky chased they coyote down and chest rolled him then watched him away! I've had several pointed since and never had that recur. I too would be more concerned about a badger. Had 1 bad experience with a coon though the dogs have pointed several. They have also pointed skunks, possums, badgers, and bobcats. I've been lucky with only the 1 coon encounter causing a rif. Yeah, the skunk encounters have left both me and the dogs less than attractive, but this too will pass!

Coyotes big problem around here also, out walking the dogs the other day and one ran onto the road about twenty yards away saw me and the two dogs and decided to turn around and run back into the field. Son in law has problems with wolves and coyotes on his property in Northern Wisconsin, they pulled a dead animal that died on the farm into a field and proceeded to call in a few coyotes here's one that took one on his
way in had my niece mount it.
IMG_1477.JPG

My tucker dog seems to seek out coyotes. He has pointed 2 this year alone and many throughout his 7 years. His first one he was around 7 months old and we had busted a covey of quail into a pasture when he went over hillside and the Astro said point. As I crested the hill something didn’t look just right and as I got closer I saw that he had a coyote pinned to the ground by the neck. It was a small yote and that was the only time I’ve seen him pin one but there have been other scraps.
Another time I had both of the dogs out at once when tucker jumped one up and it ran in the direction of magnum who is close to 80# of muscle. Magnum hit that yote at a full sprint, it did 2 rolls and jumped up and made some tracks. It was quite the scene.
Last story involved both dogs pointing what I thought was a small covey of quail that I had no intention of shooting at so I dropped the gun and got out my phone to take pics. As I walked around the dogs and closed in I got down low to get a good shot, closer, closer, oh shit, big ol yote jumps right up in my face and takes off with dogs in hot pursuit!
I don’t recall magnum ever having an encounter when he was on the ground by himself so i can’t help but think the odds are that tucker just goes out of his way to find them which is really not surprising because he definitely has a affliction for fur and feather of all types.

Back