Coyote V Dog

Michealdavis

I went out pheasant hunting today on private field today long story short almost immediately after hunting the dog chased up a coyote which ran off. Later down the slough the dog finds another coyote and jumps it. This coyote also ran. I would like to go back to this spot but I want to exterminate some of the coyotes before bringing the dogs back. Any tips on how long I should wait before I try hunting the coyotes and any general coyote hunting tips. I definitely want to get rid of these coyotes before a dog gets injured by one. Also do you think the coyotes will come back to the slough

Note: we have been hunting this slough a few times now this is the first time we saw coyotes

Personally, there are a lot of things I fear a heck of a lot more than coyotes for my dogs sake. Fence posts, traps, thin ice, cars, etc. I wouldn’t let coyotes keep me from hunting anything. My experience is that they’ve never shown an ounce of aggression towards my dogs.

Im not to worried about it either because they did run. But on the second encounter the dog had the coyote pinned downed with his mouth around his neck. I didnt want to mention that part on the original post because some people on this forum would flame me for letting it happen.
That is a once in a lifetime encounter. Maybe the coyote was injured.

I saw a couple of them in November when I was pheasant hunting. They both ran off quickly and covered an open hay field incredibly fast. In my experience, they are more scared of you and the dog than they would be to pick a fight with you or the dog. Unless you're hunting with a chihuahua, I wouldn't worry about the coyote attacking the dog.

I've never hunted them myself but I have been told they are tough cookies because they are wary and smart. I honestly do not mind seeing a coyote every once in a while. They are a natural predator on the landscape and they pick off feral cats, which do not belong.

I see coyotes with some frequency, especially now that the sloughs are frozen over. They're hunting the same thing I am.

I wouldn't worry, but if you want them gone, talk to the guys at the local gun store. Coyote hunters are typically pretty serious about their hardware and I'm sure they could point you in the direction of someone who would be willing to go out and shoot them for you, if you don't want to, anyway.

I spend a lot of time hunting pheasants in cattail sloughs & may only see 1 or 2 coyotes a year, although I know they're around in good numbers. I rarely see one within 100 yds & they're always putting as much distance between us as possible. They don't concern me in terms of encounters with me or my dog. Every once in awhile, my dog will corner "something" in a slough & bark his head off. But I always just call him off, rather than investigate more closely. I think they're most likely coons.

I went out pheasant hunting today on private field today long story short almost immediately after hunting the dog chased up a coyote which ran off. Later down the slough the dog finds another coyote and jumps it. This coyote also ran. I would like to go back to this spot but I want to exterminate some of the coyotes before bringing the dogs back. Any tips on how long I should wait before I try hunting the coyotes and any general coyote hunting tips. I definitely want to get rid of these coyotes before a dog gets injured by one. Also do you think the coyotes will come back to the slough

Note: we have been hunting this slough a few times now this is the first time we saw coyotes
Generally coyotes are nocturnal hunters day time they are bedded down in the slew sleeping most likely you will not have trouble with them you need to break your dog of wanting to chase if he does the only time I would be worried is at night during the mating season they will try to call your dog out to the pack during that time and open up a can of whoopass on them I’ve seen it happen in the past

While pheasant hunting two of us with dogs walked into the middle of several coyotes who were hunkered down in tall grass. They ran. Every coyote I've ever encountered ran - with one exception. At an off-leash in a city there were coyotes who hung out in cattails on a nearby golf course a female came out of the cover and tried to attract my male dog. But she and the other coyotes were accustomed to seeing people quite unlike ones hunters encounter.

The majority of coyotes I have come across when out will run away. Depending on how hard the area is hunted for them, most will stop at a distance and check you out. I have not had a coyote attack any of dogs I have hunted behind. I did have a cool experience a few years ago in ND. I was walking a small piece of cover behind my gsp and saw a coyote about 400 yds away in a hay field. The coyote saw my dog and sat down and watched him. The next thing I know, I see the coyote hopping on his hind legs to see over a slight rise about 100 yds away but about 30 from my dog. I whistle the dog back and the coyote follows right behind him. The dog comes by me and when the coyote hit about 40yds I pulled up the gun(I should have waited) the coyote sees me and turns on the afterburner away and I missed! If I would waited I think he would have run right to me it was so focused on the dog. I don’t think he was going to hurt my dog just curious.

I'm neither a coyote expert nor a deer expert. But it's really interesting how they'll act so different from day to day when they encounter a pheasant hunter & dog. Deer especially. Sometimes they put it in high gear until they're out of sight. Sometimes they go 100 yds (occasionally even less), stop, & observe you. I don't get it. I doubt pheasants ever do that, but I wouldn't put it past them to run to a spot where they can sit & watch & laugh at us.

I've had four hair raising coyote experiences. 1st time I was camping on the river for a few days. A buddy showed up with a goat in his truck and asked if I would help him butcher it. We did the job just a few yards away, packed the meat in a cooler, built a fire and commenced to knock a few beers back. A couple hours later we heard something running fast right at us. That S.O.B ran right past our trucks and close enough to the fire that we saw it plain as day!! I guess he was coming for the goat enards. My buddy left shortly thereafter. I stayed but didn't sleep to good that night. 2nd was when I let my 5-month-old GSP pup out early one morning. She ran out to edge of the weed patch as I started to sweep snow off the steps. I heard her yelp and looked up. She was running for her life with the coyote right on her ass. I screamed and ran towards it, it stopped within a few yards of me, gave me a dirty look and walked off. The hair on my neck was standing up! Third time I was hunting down a tree line with a 10-month-old GWP pup. I look up and saw what I thought was a German shepherd playing with her. As I got closer, I realized It was trying to hamstring her from behind! I screamed and fired in the air. It then ran across an open field. It was the biggest one I ever saw, maybe it was a coy-dog but I swear it toward over the pup and she was 50 lbs. Flash forward a few years and now the GWP pup was 65 lbs of solid muscle. A full-grown coon didn't have a chance. She jumped one in a briar patch right in front of me. It took off with her in hot pursuit. They ran over a ridge and it must have stopped to fight. I couldn't see them, but I could hear a hell of a fight. It didn't last too long before she came trotting back over the hill. I swear she was smiling!!

I'm neither a coyote expert nor a deer expert. But it's really interesting how they'll act so different from day to day when they encounter a pheasant hunter & dog. Deer especially. Sometimes they put it in high gear until they're out of sight. Sometimes they go 100 yds (occasionally even less), stop, & observe you. I don't get it. I doubt pheasants ever do that, but I wouldn't put it past them to run to a spot where they can sit & watch & laugh at us.

"out of sight" - whitetail?;

"go 100 yds., stop" - muley?

Coyotes are a problem around here too.
imo, go back and hunt them. Put on some camo, bring a call and rifle and kill a few.
Good luck.

I read somewhere that the more coyotes you kill the more they breed. It makes sense because they get hunted hard here and I see no change in population.

Back