Couldn't pull the trigger

Mgorv

I was in the process of writing the check for a new A-5 and just couldn't do it. I already have a Benelli M2, and the new A-5 has almost the same action, and do I really need two autoloaders? What I really want is a Citori White Lightning 16 gauge OU. Can anyone tell me the difference between the super light feather and the white lightning. There is a SLF on Gunsamerica website for $1947 that is NIB with 26inch barrels. I really want the oil stock white lightning in 28inch barrel. Should I wait and find exactly what I want, or should I make the deal on the superlight. I don't know the difference between the two other than barrel length. This will be my first OU. I've never shot one before, but for some reason I want a 16 gauge OU. When I closed the checkbook at Gander, the clerk thought I was nuts. I have the green light from the boss to spend a couple grand. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

My only thought is get what you want and dont settle... a gun can be a lifetime purchase.

Also, find one to handle and shoulder. You may hate it or it doesnt fit you.
Did the General screw up that you have the green light to buy??:D:D I kid....

I was in the process of writing the check for a new A-5 and just couldn't do it. I already have a Benelli M2, and the new A-5 has almost the same action, and do I really need two autoloaders? What I really want is a Citori White Lightning 16 gauge OU. Can anyone tell me the difference between the super light feather and the white lightning. There is a SLF on Gunsamerica website for $1947 that is NIB with 26inch barrels. I really want the oil stock white lightning in 28inch barrel. Should I wait and find exactly what I want, or should I make the deal on the superlight. I don't know the difference between the two other than barrel length. This will be my first OU. I've never shot one before, but for some reason I want a 16 gauge OU. When I closed the checkbook at Gander, the clerk thought I was nuts. I have the green light from the boss to spend a couple grand. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Hi Mgorv, I'd wait and get what you want. However, in 16 ga. the Citori seems to be getting more scarce. I think you really need to shoulder both the Superlight Feather and the White Lightning. There appears to be quite a bit of difference in the two. The SLF is going to be lighter but the White Lightning is not heavy by any means. Still under 7 lbs. The biggest difference I see is that the SLF comes with an English stock versus the White Lightning with the Prince of Wales grip. If you are set on 28" barrels I believe the SLF only comes in 26".

I have a 16 ga. White Lightning with 26" barrels that I bought several years ago. I love the gun. I use it mainly for my field trials but do bust a few roosters with it in the fall. Mine does not have the glossy stock that they came out with after mine.

Probably close to a 3/4 pound difference in weight. And as already said the SLF is a straight English style vs. the rounded pistol grip of the lighning. I have one of a each, an Upland Special with straight stock and a Lightning feather with the rounded pistol grip. They do feel different so I would handle both before buying you may just prefer one over the other. As for the 16g thing I'm battling that demon myself. My Upland Special is a 12 and my Feather Lighning is a 20. I use the 20 for grouse and woodcock and quite often pheasant too but I am wondering what I'm "missing out on" by not owning a 16.....:(

The biggest difference is a Alum alloy receiver on the SLF vs steel receiver on the White Lightening. Nothing comes with out a price. If you plan to use the gun simply for hunting. Either gun will fill the bill. If you plan to shoot a lot of clays in the off season every year. IMO, the alloy receiver gun will have less life in it. Keeping the gun properly lubed with a good gun grease on the hing area will certainly help but steel vs alloy over the long run. I give steel a tip of the hat in durability.

26" vs 28"

I myself would lean towards the longer barrel's unless you hunt a lot of grouse or woodcock in thick cover. Hunting pheasants with long passing shots, lends it's self to the longer barrels. Nothing is more disappointing then having a sweet gun that you can't hit anything with. Longer the barrel's the better your swing and better the sight plain. Myself, I wouldn't be shy to look at 30" barrel's on a pheasant gun. Just look at any of the good shooters in any of the shooting games and you will find very few even using 28" barrels. 30" and 32" are the norm and there's a reason.

Also, the straight grip vs pistol grip is a big deal too. Many find the straight grip nice to carry but not so nice for consistent mount of the gun. Another concern with the straight grip, is most folks can't push the safety off once the gun is close or near to be mounted. your thumb does not have enough reach. I myself found this out with my 20ga English stocked Citori i use on occasion. Very tough to retrain yourself to take the safety off before mounting the gun. I missed a lot of grouse by not being able to get the safety off once my gun was near mounted. Very frustrating.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide but as Zeb pointed out. they are getting scarce and are not in production anymore at this time I believe. Browning could always make another run but who knows when

Onpoint.

Last edited:
White Lightning

I'm gonna hold out for the White Lightning and get the one I want. If the deal falls through I'll have to go with the 725, but I think I got a line on the gun I want. I will go with 28in though, no matter which one I end up with.

and do I really need two autoloaders?

Nonsense... there's no such thing as TOO many guns. ;)

There's an old rule of thumb that every gun owner should live by. "He who dies with the most guns, wins"

Last edited:
i think its a good idea.if you shoot alot its a good idea to own at least one good double barrel
if any body remembers,when australia out lawed repeaters they left the double barrels alone,that what i understand to have happened at least
you really need to reload to shoot the .410's,28's and 16's though,mo

Back