Colorado Plains Elk Hunt

M. R. Byrd

I have never hunted elk on the Colorado plains, but am considering it this year. In past years I have always hunted in the Grand Junction area. My brother from Alaska is in chemo at present, but wants to hunt Colorado elk later this year and I see that the plains either s ex OTC tags offers an extended season, plus it would be closer to Dodge. It might also afford me a chance of getting both my sons and their families from KC in elk camp. One son has a brand new baby girl and the other son is expecting another baby in February, so a closer to home hunt might just work.

Anyone know of a good place to have a family vacation/reunion in the plains area and get into some elk?

Thanks,

Maynard & Murry

usually in the mountains.!!!!! elk arent usually in the plains. they like to stay high in the mountains. we usually hunt in the rampart range area and see alot of elk and usually get one. still trying this year. and thats only about 1 1/2 south west of denver. so i think thats the closest place. i'm sure other co. people will help you out

You may be able to find some down south east of Trinidad around the Purgatory River areas but I imagine it would be relatively sparse pickings.

Big M,

It's hard to get on private grounds in the plains. Most of it is leased out to some high dollars guy's. We have elk 3/4 of a mile from us but I have never seen one on our land. (lot of deer)
I do know of an old bird that lives a few miles from the Canyon, and has 300 plus elk on him late in the season. The problem is you have 600 eyes looking at you on a flat piece of ground.(good luck getting close for a shot)
Most of the elk in the Plains are tame for the most part.

If you do find a place, I have three cabins that sleep 30 on our place that you are more then welcome to use free of charge for your hunt if you find some private ground.

Dan
High Tail Setter Gun Dogs
Elizabeth, Co.

There is elk in my area. South of Yuma to Burlington. I have no idea where they came from. I have not seen them in person. My dad has seen some by his house. I recieved an email last fall of two bulls by Bonny resevoir. Hightail not trying to slam you but these are wild elk.

Come on guy's, we have elk ,deer, cougars(both types) Mnt. lions and everthing else in the plains. :D becareful out here! Last place you would want to live. check you P.M. Big "M"

Dan Rodriguez
High Tail Setter Gun Dogs
Elizabeth ,Co

What is all that supposed to mean Hightail. I do think it would be a hard hunt withouth research but they are here. Dont make me drive to Elizabeth to Put a Knot on your head.

Maynard asked a question? We actually have three guys I work with that have bought their tags and are in pursuit of elk out here now. I dont know that its open yet or not but. Everyone keeps tellin me there is a herd of 150 out here then some strays or whatever you want to call them. Several farmers have seen this. Me personally no. Call my dad a liar I dont think so.

I was looking at it for the extended season, not knowing how long my brother's treatment and recovery might be. Being closer to home would be nice also. I have seen some big bulls on the Kansas side in the Cimarron National Grasslands.

Maynard & Murry

What is all that supposed to mean Hightail. I do think it would be a hard hunt withouth research but they are here. Dont make me drive to Elizabeth to Put a Knot on your head.

Holy Smoke EPM. Take a pill ........it's a joke! Come on over and try to put that knot on my head:rolleyes: when we are finished we'll drink some beer.
:cheers:

My brother called Monday and the chemo is going pretty well. We may be able to hunt the 3rd season(Oct 31- Nov 6) with an OTC bull tag and he would still have time to make it to Kansas for the pheasant/quail opener. He is looking at leaving the fifth wheel in Denver and his wife spending time with her sister there and I would pick him up at Pueblo and we would head for my usual hunting grounds at Grand Junction. There is a chance that I might get my youngest son in elk camp for the first time. His previous company always had annual meetings during elk season, but yesterday he started with Bushnell and elk hunting may be more doable. If I can find an area closer than Grand Junction to hunt, I would be interested. Open to suggestions.

Maynard & Murry

I know there are elk on the eastern planes, but they're few and far between. I usually hunt around Rand (near Walden). If you're interested in the area, I could lend you a hand and provide you with the information I have. It's definitely closer than Grand Junction.

I know there are elk on the eastern planes, but they're few and far between. I usually hunt around Rand (near Walden). If you're interested in the area, I could lend you a hand and provide you with the information I have. It's definitely closer than Grand Junction.

Thanks for the kind offer. I may take you up on it. My brother called yesterday and he may be leaving Reno, headed for Denver about the 28th. So far he is handling the chemo fairly well. He hasn't hunted elk in Colorado since he left the state for Alaska twenty-five years ago.

Maynard & Murry

Back