Colorado Elk Hunting

Dakotazeb

I got my 2011 Colorado Big Game application book in the mail today. 2006 was the last year I was out there and I'm sitting on 4 preference points. I'm going to have to seriously consider going this year. Can't wait too many more or these old legs won't get me up and down the mountains. Just checked my supply of .338 Win. Mag. ammo and I should be good to go. Might need a new pair of boots but not much else. Probably head out for the 3rd rifle season in November. Only problem is that it takes a week out of my pheasant hunting. :(

Where are you planning on heading? I am going to put in for my lifetime hunt. I have 16 points and have a 50% chance of getting this tag I want. They only issue 5 tags for each of the three rifle seasons. I want the third season tag. If I went second season, I would get it. Something I have to wrestle with a little!!!:cheers:

this is my first year applyin..gotta build up some points here so i can go in a few years.

I hunt most of the time west of Pueblo in the San Isabel National Forest. I have hunted a couple times around Basalt and also done a couple horseback, back-in hunts with some Colorado friends west of Antonito in the South San Juan Wilderness Area. Started going to Colorado in 1989 and have been out there elk hunting at least a dozen times. I have been extremely fortunate as I have shot an elk on all but 2 of those trips.

I have a little bird that told me I should consider a trip to CO my self.:D
It is one of those things I have always wanted to do before I croak. Shoot a decent Bull. I would not be happy with a cow.:( Yea it's the hunt and al,l but if I only get to go 1 or 2 times in my life I would pass on a cow tag and wait till I can try for the heartford.:D Even if I don't get one I would enjoy the try. Just not sure if I could keep up with those CO boys in them mountains.:D I might have to be packed out on a mule myself.

I went about 4yrs ago and picked a cow tag otc (cant eat horns:D). It was my first ever big game hunt, or any other hunt for that matter. We hunted somewhere between Craig and Dinosaur can't remember exactly where. After a few days of waiting for one to go buy me I decided to go for a hike and find one. Well I found about 5 nice cows up in the aspens but they saw me before I saw them.:( Anyways that is when I realized I don't care for big game hunting. I still buy a deer tag each year, but I usually give up after a few days and end up chasing mtn quail while everyone else deer hunts. I love eating elk and venison, just not hunting it. The country I saw was gorgeous though and I saw more rabbits, deer, antelope, and elk that week than I've seen in my life. I also saw my first pheasant on that trip.

I have a little bird that told me I should consider a trip to CO my self.:D
It is one of those things I have always wanted to do before I croak. Shoot a decent Bull. I would not be happy with a cow.:( Yea it's the hunt and al,l but if I only get to go 1 or 2 times in my life I would pass on a cow tag and wait till I can try for the heartford.:D Even if I don't get one I would enjoy the try. Just not sure if I could keep up with those CO boys in them mountains.:D I might have to be packed out on a mule myself.

Ken,
You should start applying for a Preference Point every year and build them up so you can be guaranteed drawing a bull tag in a good area. You still have time to apply this year as the Deadline for applications is April 5th. You can do it online. Here's the link: http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/

If you have any questions give me a call. I think you still have my number. If not, shoot me an email or PM.

I went about 4yrs ago and picked a cow tag otc (cant eat horns:D). It was my first ever big game hunt, or any other hunt for that matter. We hunted somewhere between Craig and Dinosaur can't remember exactly where. After a few days of waiting for one to go buy me I decided to go for a hike and find one. Well I found about 5 nice cows up in the aspens but they saw me before I saw them.:( Anyways that is when I realized I don't care for big game hunting. I still buy a deer tag each year, but I usually give up after a few days and end up chasing mtn quail while everyone else deer hunts. I love eating elk and venison, just not hunting it. The country I saw was gorgeous though and I saw more rabbits, deer, antelope, and elk that week than I've seen in my life. I also saw my first pheasant on that trip.

Yea I know QH, I have heard that one before deer hunting:D. truth be told I have done the meat thing for years deer hunting, 31 years. It comes to a day where it just seems to loose it's excitement for me I guess. If I want meat I can buy a Angus, or even a cow elk right down the road. Mike the farmer told me we can come out and shoot our own elk and it would be 400$ wrapped. So if I go it will be for a bull.:D

The Division is really going all out advertising everywhere to try and recruit hunters. They found out when they jacked up the prices people did not come!!! Lost 37,500 hunters in 5 years, which was a big hit to them and the small communities!!!!! Advertising budget is 300,000 !!!!!

I hunt most of the time west of Pueblo in the San Isabel National Forest. I have hunted a couple times around Basalt and also done a couple horseback, back-in hunts with some Colorado friends west of Antonito in the South San Juan Wilderness Area. Started going to Colorado in 1989 and have been out there elk hunting at least a dozen times. I have been extremely fortunate as I have shot an elk on all but 2 of those trips.

"West of Pueblo"..... Thats my backyard! :p.. and been trying to draw a tag for me 'n the grandson for 3 years now. I've lived here for 50+ years, and there are more elk here now than ever.
Ya' ever get one down where you need pack horses, you should get ahold of me ;) Maybe I'll come to the Dakotas one day, and you could pack my fezzunts..:p

I've got to learn this isn't just a pheasant forum

I've got a nephew in Pagosa Springs- we've packed on our back, used 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, then he got horses! we've hunted quite a bit for the elusive elk- I miss the bow and arrow hunts- he's into gun only now- meat

hum- been a couple years

Dakotazed- .338 Win Mag- nice- nephews went to that- Browning Boss-

so I said ok- I'll bring my Alaska Bear gun- Browning A Bolt Gold Medalion Boss .338 Win Mag, Leupold 3X9 Vari X III
we were all shooting the 230 grain WW fail safe- quit making that- I found that the Hornady Superformance SST 225 grain is a nice load-

what are you shooting

When I did the two horseback pack-in hunts with my Colorado buddies we were only about 30-40 miles, as the crow flies, east of Pagosa Springs. It's a bitch of a horseback ride to get up in there but once you are on top it's really nice. The difficulty getting to the area eliminates most hunters. Only saw another hunter a couple of times. Rode out in snowstorms both times.

As for my .338 Win Mag it's a Winchester Model 70 SM. SM stands for Synthetic stock and Matte finish. It has the pre-64 style Mauser bolt. They only made those models for a couple years in the mid 90's. I also have the exact gun in a 270 Win and both have the same mounts and Leupold 3x9 Vari-X II scopes.

In my 338 I've shot both the 230 gr. WW Fail Safe and the 200 gr. WW Ballistic Silvertip. Both loads have nearly the same point of impact at 100 yds. I've probably shot more elk with my 270 Win than the 338 Win Mag.

Yeah, Winchester doens't make the Fail Safe any more. Only problem with the Fail Safe is they do tend to only punch holes and don't expand enough. But I did take a 5x5 at over 500 yards in the Black Hills of South Dakota with the Fail Safe's. I've got 19 rounds of the Fail Safe left and 26 of the Ballistic Silvertip. Think I'll fire a few of each to make sure she's sighted in and take the remainder with me. I'll probably use the 200 gr. Ballistic Silvertips. It's a pretty flat shootin' machine for a big bore with 200 gr. bullets.

Recoil is always a bit stout on the bench but I never notice it in the field. I do have a muzzle break that I can take on and off. It lowers the recoil to about that of my 270 Win. but I can't take the noise. Rather take the recoil.

"West of Pueblo"..... Thats my backyard! :p.. and been trying to draw a tag for me 'n the grandson for 3 years now. I've lived here for 50+ years, and there are more elk here now than ever.
Ya' ever get one down where you need pack horses, you should get ahold of me ;) Maybe I'll come to the Dakotas one day, and you could pack my fezzunts..:p

Where are you at in CO? I hunt about 10 miles south of McKenzie junction. Do you know Terry Everhart?

I have a Rem 7mm mag at my disposal when I get the chance. That should do the job.:D

The 7MM Rem Mag will work fine just make sure you use a premium bullet. One that will expand properly but yet penetrate deep. With the higher velocities of the 7MM Rem Mag a lighter not so well constructed bullet will blow up and not penetrate. And yet there are some new bullets on the market that will not expand enough and simply punch a hole through the animal. I agree with Shadow that Hornady makes some excellent loads. I used a lot of Hornady bullets when I use to reload. And you can't go wrong with one old tried and true bullet. The Nosler Partition.

I have a 7mm Ultra I load with 140 gr Barnes TTSX. This is my back up to my 30-378, so most of the time it gets lent out. My friend took it to Alaska this past year for Grizz. Guide said he was crazy and not enough bullet!!! I told my friend to trust me on this. Grizz smelled them took off and the guide yelled shoot, so he shot and knocked that bear right off his feet, threw a second one in for good measure. He said the guide just shook his head in disbelief!!!!! I use 180 Tsx in the 30-378 and am confident on any N. American game. I keep telling myself that wooden sticks with sharp points killed many an animal. It is all about placement!!!!! Good luck if you guys get out this year and let me know if you need help with the brochure or applying for your tag or tags!!!! Some areas let you buy as many cow tags as you want!!! I had 1 bull and 3 cow tags last year!!!:cheers:

It's my old mans gun. A nice stainless with a 4 power leupold. He has a few bulls with it. I guess he dropped them in there tracks out to 400 yards +. Not sure what bullet he used but I will use what he did since it is all set up. I suspect it is hornaday, as he is a fan, and shoots alot of there ammo. I did too deer hunting. I used it in the 243 when I yote hunt also. Great ammo.

The 7mm is a good elk gun. Yeah premium bullet for anything is a good idea.
I've killed a few elk with my 300WM, including a 7pt, cape mount in our livingroom.:cool:
The last decade or so I've used my 270 140 grain.
You know? everything is in bullet placement. You blast into shoulder bone [even with the big magnums] and you will likely have a three legged critter that will still cover more ground in a couple hours then a human can cover in a day.
I like the area just behind the shoulder, get it in the boiler room. They may wobble for 50 yards but their going down.:thumbsup:

Back