Colorado Elk Hunting

The last decade or so I've used my 270 140 grain.

mnmt, the last bull I shot in '06 was with my 270 Win with WW 140 gr. Accubond. I put one round in his rib cage and he didn't move so I dumped another one in for good measure. He never went move than 10 ft. from where he was first hit. Of all the elk I've shot I've killed them just as well with my 270 Win as with my 338 Win Mag. The proper bullet and bullet placemnt are the keys.

I just looked on the Winchester web site and it appears they no longer offer the 140 gr. Accubond in 270 Win. I hate when they keep changing loads that work well. Sold all my reloading equipment so that's not an option either.

I have a Rem 7mm mag at my disposal when I get the chance. That should do the job.:D

sure will- I had the Remington 7mm mag bolt action with Leupold 3x9 VariX II in Alaska- sighted in to hit dead on at 200 yards with Federal Premiums

brother sent me off- "if you shoot don't miss" I'll come- long shot on a double shovel caribou-

some questioned when I said I'm going off for 3 days after a moose
1st shot was dead center in the chest as it was looking at me- 90 yards- second was in the neck as it turned going over a bank
nice bull

left that gun with my brother- he wasn't a real long distance shooter- but he told me he'd never seen the like- he'd square down on caribou and they'd drop

agree- shot placement is the name of the game

geese Dakotazeb- you and the FailSafes- I had to go check- I have 25- edit- had 6 more in the safe with the gun

Last edited:
Back