Collars

I am getting a Springer later this winter. I am trying to get things I'll need for the pup spread out in advance to spread out the cost some. We will be hunting mostly land in central and northwest Iowa. I am trying to figure out what collar I will need since they can be a 2nd mortgage. I am still considering whether I will be using an e-collar. My question is do I need to consider a gps collar, or not, given the dog will be close working? The dog will have a chip, but ultimately the dog's safety is my main concern. Do you guys with flushers or springers use gps collars on your dogs? Thanks.

I dont hear of it too often, thinking about it I dont know if Ive ever heard of a gps collar on a flusher. Definitely get an e collar though. For the dogs own safety, keeping him from running on roads. I had one of mine almost go off a small cliff in SD.

Can I ask where youre getting your pup from? Im starting to put a list of names together..

You shouldn't need a gps collar. Make sure you get a collar with tone. Honestly if you train your dog to reign in on tone, you shouldn't need the shock feature much. You don't need anything fancy.

You shouldn't need a gps collar. Make sure you get a collar with tone. Honestly if you train your dog to reign in on tone, you shouldn't need the shock feature much. You don't need anything fancy.

I agree, you don't need a GPS. Carptom recommended a collar with a tone feature. In place of the tone I like a vibrate feature. Once your dog is collar trained you can use the vibrate in place of the shock. Most dogs won't know the difference. As far as brands of collars if you stay with Dogtra or TriTronics you can't go wrong. Most of the Dogtra's have a little smaller receiver on the collar which is nice with a Springer size dog. Good luck with the new pup. Where are you located?

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Carptom1 - I can't give the name of the breeder yet. He hasn't announced the litter so I don't feel like its my place. When he does announce the litter I will let you know.

Dakotazeb - I am located in Des Moines, IA.

I agree, you don't need a GPS. Carptom recommended a collar with a tone feature. In place of the tone I like a vibrate feature. Once your dog is collar trained you can use the vibrate in place of the shock. Most dogs won't know the difference. As far as brands of collars if you stay with Dogtra or TriTronics you can't go wrong. Most of the Dogtra's have a little smaller receiver on the collar which is nice with a Springer size dog. Good luck with the new pup. Where are you located?

SOLID GOLD advice right there from DZ.

We run Cockers/Springers. You definitely don't need GPS once you train your dog to hunt to the gun. That's what flushers are bred to do and labs trained like carptom's.

But I never cut my dogs loose in the woods/fields wo/ an e-collar on them. I don't think I used it more than once or twice in 50 days in the field hunting this year.

NB

I am a bit of a collar junkie. I have a Dogtra 3500ncp, Tritronics Pro 550, and a sportdog 1825 (2 dog).
The dogtra is the most durable, charges in an hour, and is very simple to use. Priced reasonable, and Dogtra donated 4 collars for our retriever club raffle (earned over $3000)!
The Tritronics has some really neat features for serious training but is a bit to cumbersome for upland, and big$$$$$. The jury is still out on the effect of Garmin buying Tri tronics.
Sportdog is small, reasonably priced, not super durable but the customer service is good.
If I could only own one it would be the Dogtra....... Hands down! The spotdog is my usual upland collar do to small size, and if lost or damaged I wouldn't cry about he cost.
GPS collars are a fun toy, but of little value IMHO. Now if I had a big running pointer I may feel different.
Get a Dogtra that fits your needs and don't look back, they make a great product!

I have a 8 month lab. wife told me not to come back from redfield S>D last week without the dog. Tri tronics 550 with a add on beeper locator, Hit the button and the beeper goes off. also can teach tone and vibrate commands as not to alert birds with the non stop beeping. good luck

Back