Cold Roosters

hobbes

I hunted a few days a week and a half ago. We had nasty cold weather. Weather was staying in the single digits for highs and negative temps at night and early in the morning. The first day I hunted we were into plenty of birds but they were in tall willows and shots were difficult to come by, so we ended up with 3 roosters between us.

Cash pointing in the snow and wind. Too bad it was all hens. 9 hens total came out from this area.
20161210_113432.jpg

I hunted on my own on day 2. It was the nicest of the hunt. The hight wasn't above 10, but the sun was shining and there was no wind. It was a beautiful late season day.
20161211_093725.jpg

I found a good pocket of birds and could have used a blocker.

20161211_105311.jpg

Rooster tracks.
20161211_124300.jpg

Finn with the days limit of roosters and a bonus sharpie.
20161211_114900.jpg

20161211_115049.jpg

The third days was brutal cold with the addition of a steady 10 mph wind with 15 to 20 mph gusts. I didn't take the time for photos during the cold, but we ended the day with five roosters between us. The hunt was just a few short hunts jumping back into the truck between each one.

Our final day didn't turn out as planned because my tailgate froze up and I couldn't get the dogs in and out of the box on the back. I had room for my dogs up front, but needed to place my buddies dogs in the back since he wasn't in a 4x4. We weren't comfortable leaving his dogs in his vehicle while we drove the snowy roads to our planned spot, so we hit some spots along main roads on the way toward home. My buddy ended up with one rooster.

Everything is tougher to deal with in the cold. The main concern is always the well being of the dogs, but it's tough on everything. If we had known the wind was going to make the last two days so cold, we may have rescheduled the hunt.

Die hard dogs and hunters.. I love that rooster tracks photo. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice photos. I love when birds leave marks in the snow like that. I was out last Sunday and saw a number of such in the snow.

Thanks for posting:cheers:

Great photos. That shot of the landing spot is beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Limited out in 20 minutes

Hunted eastern Nebraskan private land and limited out in 20 minutes. I'm not sure how this landowner does it but he always has lots of birds. Hunting in the eastern part of the state is getting harder every year.

Statistically speaking Brittany owners limit out quicker than anybody :10sign:

There most be some good nesting habitat.

I love those pictures Hobbes. Thanks for posting.

Back