chukar/ quail dog

quail hound

I know I'll get flamed for this but it's time I think about adding a pointy type dog for the big, open chukar/ quail covers I hunt. Let me be clear, there will always be springers in my house for pheasants and heavy cover quail hunting.

I'm leaning towards a bitch setter or Brittany but I have found a guy near me producing some very nice elhew pointers.

I know its absurd but the pointers are down on my list because I don't care for their looks.

Here is what I need in a dog.

Range
Stamina
Decent retrieving
Toughness
Coat (it's cold up there)
House dog during the off season

I know the setters and britts both have pluses and minuses in the columns listed above. Is there any certain lines in the two breeds I should look for?

As much as I love this guy it's just not effective following him around in that kind of country.

I think so too Steve. The problem is within the state it looks like my options are bench bred dogs :thumbsup: and "old style foot hunting" dogs. I'm the type of guy who wouldn't be opposed to be driving half way across the country for the right dog though.

I know I'll get flamed for this but it's time I think about adding a pointy type dog for the big, open chukar/ quail covers I hunt. Let me be clear, there will always be springers in my house for pheasants and heavy cover quail hunting.

I'm leaning towards a bitch setter or Brittany but I have found a guy near me producing some very nice elhew pointers.

I know its absurd but the pointers are down on my list because I don't care for their looks.

Range
Stamina
Decent retrieving
Toughness

I know the setters and britts both have pluses and minuses in the columns listed above. Is there any certain lines in the two breeds I should look for?
If your hunting WILD chukar you want a heck of a lot more than a "decent retriever" on less you like going a 100 yds back down a hill you just climbed up also if your hunting Quail along big rivers .

Last edited:
If your hunting WILD chukar you want a heck of a lot more that a "decent retriever" also if your hunting Quail along big rivers .

Well I'd more that likely have a Springer along too so retrieving is kinda handled.:thumbsup:

John, you think we could find some birds in the Owyhee's?:cheers:

From the right breeding, a pup from any of the breeds would suit you. If you have no preferences, I would say pick the right litter regardless of breed. But if it were me, I'd go with a britt, will always have a soft spot for them.

Many of the breeders with ship pups by air.

I have seen several setters that were outstanding retrievers, but having a springer to go in and flush then retrieve would be cool. On rough ground that could be real handy too I would think.

My brittanys have done very well on chukar in northern Nevada and quail everywhere.

Last edited:
Like Jarbo said, a well bred pup from either breed will suit me fine. I need to start the search, it would be nice to have a dog at least in the puppy, fun hunting stage by next season. JP will be 7 next season so thinking about starting another springer is on my mind also.

Like Jarbo said, a well bred pup from either breed will suit me fine. I need to start the search, it would be nice to have a dog at least in the puppy, fun hunting stage by next season. JP will be 7 next season so thinking about starting another springer is on my mind also.

Oh my God:eek:. Do I need to come out there and straighten you out?:)

Oh my God:eek:. Do I need to come out there and straighten you out?:)

I know, I know Tom. I've lost it, those red legged birds have pushed me over the edge.:eek:

My GWP's do well. Range when I let them, close when needed. I'm not breed sensitive so you all can let the Ugly Dog jokes fly.

Range
Stamina
Decent retrieving
Toughness

You just described a "Pudelpointer"!!
In my opinion the Pudelpointer is much nicer to look at than a Pointer.

You just described a "Pudelpointer"!!
In my opinion the Pudelpointer is much nicer to look at than a Pointer.

What kind of range will your dog hunt at in "big" country?

My GWP's do well. Range when I let them, close when needed. I'm not breed sensitive so you all can let the Ugly Dog jokes fly.

Nothin better than an ugly dog. My griff has done well on sharpies and huns in MT, along with chickens here in KS. He is not big runner, will get to 200 yards or so in thin cover, tightens up in thick cover. Not bad for a dog that spends the majority of his days hiding in his dog blind retrieving waterfowl.

What kind of range will your dog hunt at in "big" country?

My big male will get out to a 1/4 of a mile in open country, while my little female stays closer around 250 - 300 yards.
I run tracking collars on them and have had both, have 25+ mile days.

Back