Christmas came early this year

algotube

Hello everyone this is my first post on Ultimate Pheasant Hunting. Over the last couple of months I have been doing alot of reading and talking to people about getting a hunting dog. I finally decided to get a German Shorthaired Pointer I found a great breeder in Michigan and also a trainer. I do alot of pheasant hunting and rabbit hunting..........no big game.......... My plan were simple purchase a GSP in March/2011 or April/2011 get it trained for grouse (Pheasant) hunting come September/2011.

Well the other night my daughter came over with her finance and surprised me with a Black Mouth Cur (early Christmas Present) she said that she seen a guy in-front of Walmart selling these puppies and she knew I was looking for a hunting dog and she fell in love with this (a male) so she bought it for me.

I love my daughter and that was so nice that she was thinking of me...........but what in the world is a Black Mouth Cur......????

Did some research and guess what:

Character: The Black Mouth Cur is a great hunting dog whose quarry includes boar, bear, deer, squirrel and coon. This dog never retreats and is naturally proficient at treeing and baying. The Black Mouth Cur is a relentless and powerful hunter but is also kind and protective with family. They are fiercely loyal.

Oh my God.... boar, bear, deer, squirrel and coon...SO I GUESS THIS IS NOT A BIRD DOG..............RIGHT..............:(

The dog came with no papers, nothing..........but the puppy is absolutely beautiful and amazing............. I had him now for 4 days now .......he is soooooooooooooooooooooo smart already have him house trained.....(almost :rolleyes:) ..........at night he sleeps in a crate (no problem)..........his temperament is amazing........he listens really good...........

Now the question: I know that he is not a bird dog but can he be trained to be a bird dog............. ???????

Does anyone else on this forum have a Black Mouth Cur and using him as a bird dog.......????

I am just torn.........I want to keep him because he is great dog and a present from my daughter.........but on the other hand I wanted a bird dog........................ man oh man............ :confused:

Here is my Morgan..........

http://picasaweb.google.com/btremont4444/MorganTremonte#

Last edited:
That's an ol' yeller dog. I had one as a young boy, well not really he was a pitbull/ trigg hound mix but he looked just like a black mouth cur. Never trained him to hunt but he treed coons and possums regularly around our house and defended our property with his life. I think any dog bred for any kind of work can be taught to hunt and flush birds. That dog should have an awesome nose and if you can keep him within gun range you should be good. Hopefully you can teach him to retrieve also. I'm not sure if he is joking but copheasanthunter says he hunts cur dogs on pheasant. Good luck I think it will work out fine.:cheers:

unfortunately......you still don't have a bird dog...get the GSP and don't let your emotions get the best of you.

I just looked at your pics and I must say that is a beautiful dog.

Hunter94 I have to disagree. I have seen many non bird dog breeds successfully hunt birds ie German shepherds, beagles, jack russels, pit bulls, cow dogs... Notice all these are all working, intelligent breeds. I say go for it and have fun with your new pup.

quail hound;

Thank you for your reply........yes he is a beautiful dog and he is very,very smart.

hunter94 I agree that he is not a bird dog........but like quail hound I have been reading and hearing that you can train these dogs to hunt birds. I will try and get in touch with copheasanthunter and see if he does use cur dogs to hunt birds........... hope so.................

and yes your right quail hound that is an ol' yeller dog................

Happy Holidays........

First I's purchase a XL crate. Second I would get him retreiving everything possible and get him on feathers. Give it a shot it may work out well. If not buy him a little buddy (GSP) later to keep him company and it is a win win.

DMA;

Thanks for your reply. My pup is only 11 weeks old, when is it a good time to start him retrieving especially feathers......????

Thanks again

Happy Holidays

pup

I would start now with retrieving tennis balls, kong bumpers, anything realy at this age. Once he is jazzed about retrieving then add feathers. When I introduce feathers to a young pup I like to do it in a hall way so that they can not run away and have to go by you or else they may run off with the feathers.

I heard a good one with tennis balls.

Put Pheasant sent on them and store in the plastic tube. I'm sure lots of you have done this I just never thought of it.
Keep posting the pup pic's I have always liked those dogs.

He may not be a full fledge bird dog but if he's a good friend and kicks up a bird now and then while enjoying the outdoors what the heck.

I have a friend who I sold a Chessy to in IL. He has a Cur. He said he will retrieve ducks and geese out of the water. The problem is, he is not made for the cold water but would retrieve until he was dead. He has to only take him during early season. He's a fighter though, he has to keep him off other dogs. I don't like fightin dogs. They tend to be a problem all the time when hunting with others who have dogs. Messes up my hunting...I don't like that.

Thanks everyone for replying and giving advice. Morgan, is doing great I can't believe how well he fits in with our family already.

onpoint, I agree I don't like fighting dogs and I am going to go out of my to socialize him.......

goldeneye, they actually sale Pheasant sent.......???? cool..........:) so much to learn.........

DMA, good idea about the balls............ I have some stuffed toys I am throwing and he is starting to bring back.............slowly but surely..............

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.........hope Santa was good to you all................... :thumbsup:

The fact that he listens to you is awesome. I have a more prototypical "bird dog" and I'd keep him even if he couldn't hunt at all, just because his listening so well makes him a great companion. Given the comments above about fighting, you might want to make an extra effort on socialization - get him in a bunch of puppy obedience classes around all sorts of dogs. Ithink a lot of fighting is related to dogs who didn't learn dog manners when they were puppies. If he's meeting new dogs constantly, he's a lot less likely to have an issue with your hunting buddy's dog two years from now.

MJinMN,

I feel the same way........he has really surprised and shocked me how good he is..........for that reason only and as you said he will make a great companion.

My family came over for Christmas and he was fantastic with them all.......he is still learning and makes a mess on the floor sometimes but that is expected.

The whole family loved him even when he was humping on my mother's leg.............:D............I don't think she found it so funny but everyone else did.............. :)

Take care

Forget the pheasant scent, tennis balls. etc. If you want to train him to be a bird dog get some life birds. Introduce him to a clipped wing pigeon.

think outside the box

I had a stray redbone hound come and decide to live at my grandads farm when I was a kid. I was a squirrel hunter and quail hunter. It took him no time at all to become a daytime quail finder, even hesitated to flush after a while, as I banged away with a single shot 410. Found dead birds and soft mouthed to boot. Always in range. I had the advantage of being too young to know it wouldn't work! Apparently so was the hound. We were constant companions for the rest of his days,and my granddad had the advantage of not loosing chickens to coons and possums for that time as well. Oddly, he never got into squirrel hunting, he'd go but usually slept under the tree while I waited them out. I say go for it. I've seen rat terriers, and beagles work pheasants with a great deal of skill, why not a tree dog. As noted, the nose will astound you!

Forget the pheasant scent, tennis balls. etc. If you want to train him to be a bird dog get some life birds. Introduce him to a clipped wing pigeon.

Yep I was thinking the same thing. Find somewhere where you can get him some quail or pigeons and get that pup birdy. My pup was on live quail at 8 weeks old and thinks birds are the best thing ever.

Last edited:
Well, if you have the space, whats wrong with having two dogs. I'd try to find a GSP about the same age. I went to pick up my new Llewellin pup this time last year, had first pick of the males, ended up bringing home a male and a female. Had to cash in all my brownie points with the wife though. Glad I did though. We never had any trouble with them keeping us up at night or anything. Both are becoming outstanding bird dogs. Killed 30 pheasant this year and I live in Ohio.

Back