Chokes matter?

Or maybe its knowledge as a result of hundreds of hours at the range patterning shells and doing my due diligence to make sure i do know what i am talking about. But yeah, no sense in listening to me.. i am just a know it all
I don't think you're a know it all. Your posts are backed up by data. Not opinions.

I'll take data over opinion every time.

BTW, no cripples this season for me either. Had 1 last season, first one in several years. It folded in a completely open field and when I got to the field within 5 seconds, it was nowhere to be found. No clue what happened to that bird.

Just one pattern to show is all, then I will leave the thread. Sometimes is good to look at a visual instead of just percentage #s. The duck is not real size, the whole paper is 48". Its maybe the size of a chukkar.

View attachment 7031
IC would look a bit better…is that skt1 about .004/.005? 20 gauge, I assume? It’s interesting to see variations in the definition of different chokes…Briley vs Hallowell, for example…I look at lots of guns at Fieldsport, for example, and it’s interesting to see how guns are labeled choke-wise vs the numerical measurement…pretty loose…I guess numerical measurements keep it “apples to apples”…the beretta o/u I bot in September was opened to .005/.012…20 gauge…I’d call it skt1/LM…others have different classifications. Also, it’s great to not lose birds…I’ve lost birds every year, wish it weren’t the case. I assume you get many days in the field, so that’s an accomplishment…easier to not lose birds if you’re in the field 8 days vs 28, for example…but you’ve accomplished that through homework, practice, dog work, etc…impressive. Shot selection is probably the big factor there, at least from my point of view…passing on straight-aways would be my first change if I wanted to never cripple a bird again.

I just marvel at the BS on this forum. Some of you guys are on here all the time with unassailable opinions on dogs, guns, chokes, loads, hunting styles etc....so often, in fact, that I wonder how you find the time to hunt and get all this field experience you're always ragging about! Any experienced, and by experience I mean you own bird dogs, hunt at least 20 days per year (admittedly an abstract number) and shoot maybe 25-50 birds per season) is going to go with what has worked, season after season, year after year, despite what he/she reads on here.

What kind of adult male weighs under 150 pounds? You hanging out with yard gnomes or what?
“Some guys”…not all my hunting buddies. One guy is about 74, and has always been thin…he’s thinner now due to some digestion stuff he’s gone through. 2 guys are very short, and not big builds, but they were very athletic. Most guys I hunt with are 175-200 lbs, I suspect, but I’d bet that 150 lb guy vs 250 lb guy reacts to recoil differently.

I don't think you're a know it all. Your posts are backed up by data. Not opinions.

I'll take data over opinion every time.

BTW, no cripples this season for me either. Had 1 last season, first one in several years. It folded in a completely open field and when I got to the field within 5 seconds, it was nowhere to be found. No clue what happened to that bird.

Thanks, gimruis, that does make me feel a little better. I do take it a bit personally when people don't understand all the work and time that goes into "knowing things". Then they label you and tell others to not listen. I know i shouldn't let it get to me, but sometimes i cant help it. Great shooting 👍

Shotgunning is a game of statistics and probabilities... You probably just got extremely unlucky, it happens! The best we can do is put a good pattern on the bird.

I just marvel at the BS on this forum. Some of you guys are on here all the time with unassailable opinions on dogs, guns, chokes, loads, hunting styles etc....so often, in fact, that I wonder how you find the time to hunt and get all this field experience you're always ragging about! Any experienced, and by experience I mean you own bird dogs, hunt at least 20 days per year (admittedly an abstract number) and shoot maybe 25-50 birds per season) is going to go with what has worked, season after season, year after year, despite what he/she reads on here.
I agree with your conclusion…guys will stick with what works for them…and I agree with your rough definition of “experienced”…what I, or anybody else does with their free time, is up to them…including chatting here. I’m retired, it’s winter, I don’t watch much TV, I enjoy this place. Counting the days til I leave for SD again…4…not ragging, or bragging, this stuff is what I enjoy, all my good friends are hunters/dog guys…it’s what interests me. Good luck to you all who will be getting out more…🍻🥳👍 It’s funny, none of my hunting buddies participate in this place, or other forums…and they’re serious hunters. Some watch youtube videos of other hunters…I never have…some are active on Facebook…I’ve never been a user of Facebook…to each his own…this place suits me, for whatever reason. I learn a good bit, I try to pass on a bit, and interact with like-minded guys. Some here aren’t my cup of tea, nor am I theirs…but that’s life. 🍻🍻

Last edited:
IC would look a bit better…is that skt1 about .004/.005? 20 gauge, I assume? It’s interesting to see variations in the definition of different chokes…Briley vs Hallowell, for example…I look at lots of guns at Fieldsport, for example, and it’s interesting to see how guns are labeled choke-wise vs the numerical measurement…pretty loose…I guess numerical measurements keep it “apples to apples”…the beretta o/u I bot in September was opened to .005/.012…20 gauge…I’d call it skt1/LM…others have different classifications. Also, it’s great to not lose birds…I’ve lost birds every year, wish it weren’t the case. I assume you get many days in the field, so that’s an accomplishment…easier to not lose birds if you’re in the field 8 days vs 28, for example…but you’ve accomplished that through homework, practice, dog work, etc…impressive. Shot selection is probably the big factor there, at least from my point of view…passing on straight-aways would be my first change if I wanted to never cripple a bird again.

I purposely chose one of the worst patterns ive shot recently as an example... Those who never pattern will never know, it may look like that one I posted. At 20 yards i bet it kills pheasants all day long, but 20-30 can change A LOT with open chokes, and even more so 30-40. Also judge of range is an issue with pheasant hunting as the birds often give a different look via variations in flight path flush to flush. Usually if you walk off a very hard hit bird that fell almost straight down you can get a good idea of range, most peoples 25 yards is more like 35 and their "i took a poke at 40" was 60+. I am guilty of this too.

Thats why i pattern at 30 and 40, usually choke my bottom barrel for 30 but make sure its acceptable to 40 just in case, and my top barrel is choked for 40. If something flushes at my toes I can simply get on the bird and wait a couple seconds before pulling the trigger, i like to cook with ground pheasant but I prefer to use a meat grinder not copper plated 5s.

i dont get out every day by any means, I try to at least once a week weather permitting. Then I play at preserves after the season, but that doesn't count... The ones here I could hunt with a dip net.

Sorry i forgot to answer your choke question. That would have been a remington 1100 with carlsons flush, so according to their website a .615 dia (cyl says .620 so .005 constriction)

Last edited:
Just one pattern to show is all, then I will leave the thread. Sometimes is good to look at a visual instead of just percentage #s. The duck is not real size, the whole paper is 48". Its maybe the size of a chukkar.

View attachment 7031
I wouldn’t be reluctant with IC knowing this is chukar sized, and skt1…especially if I was shooting 1.25 oz of shot from a 12 gauge…but you do show the facts, which pictures do help convey better than words…👍

I wouldn’t be reluctant with IC knowing this is chukar sized, and skt1…especially if I was shooting 1.25 oz of shot from a 12 gauge…but you do show the facts, which pictures do help convey better than words…👍

I don't have a picture or notes for that load with IC, probably because i don't have a "good" IC choke for that gun. I have skt1 from patterning TSS 10s for ducks. I dont remember why i tried that choke with lead 5s, possibly i was looking for a rabbit shell for hunting with beagles.

Just out of curiosity I will order a carlsons IC for that gun, i should have one anyways. Next time at the range if I remember I will shoot that pattern again and PM you just for farts and giggles. I know it was with a fiocchi HV shell as its the only 1oz 5s ive shot in recent years, i still have a box or two so I will try it.

I don't have a picture or notes for that load with IC, probably because i don't have a "good" IC choke for that gun. I have skt1 from patterning TSS 10s for ducks. I dont remember why i tried that choke with lead 5s, possibly i was looking for a rabbit shell for hunting with beagles.

Just out of curiosity I will order a carlsons IC for that gun, i should have one anyways. Next time at the range if I remember I will shoot that pattern again and PM you just for farts and giggles. I know it was with a fiocchi HV shell as its the only 1oz 5s ive shot in recent years, i still have a box or two so I will try it.
Thanks…👍👍

Yeah I lost one yesterday, long straight away.Should have held up.Thats where I needed the full.

Back