Chaps

Dakotazeb

My chaps have seen their better day so I need to find some new ones. Personally I do not care for the Filson chaps. I've had them and I just happen to be one that they don't work for. One feature that is a "must have" is a side opening the entire length of the chap. The one's I have now have a zipper along the entire outside. Much like a motorcycle chap. This makes them extremely easy to put on and take off. I've been looking at the Browning Upland Chaps http://www.uplanders.com/home.php?d...bcategoryid=87&suboptionid=429&pr_id=CHAP-7-2 which I believe have snaps that open up the entire side. Anyone have any other suggestions for this style chap?

Oh, btw the chaps I have now are no longer made so I can't go back to them.

I'm a big fan of the ll bean chaps. Articulated knees, zippers and tough as nails. I've blown thru filsons in one season. Haven't even come close after 4-5 seasons.

My chaps have seen their better day so I need to find some new ones. Personally I do not care for the Filson chaps. I've had them and I just happen to be one that they don't work for.

You know what I think wears the Filson Chaps down is the dust from gravel roads on those SD weeds/fields. When I use Filsons around here (IL) and there's little to know damage to the bottom of the chaps or the knee. In SD, it's a whole different story. It seems like the dust acts like sand paper on them. My boots and the finish on my guns too:eek:

Still love them too much to care about replacing them each season.

Over the years, I've purchased three chaps: Boyt, Cabelas and Game Winner, The Boyt and Cabelas zip half-way; the Game Winner does not.

All are different weights, the Boyt is similar to the Filson, but lighter weight.

In snow I've switched to rain gear with tall gaiters; keeps me dry and the rain gear is not as heavy. With a pair of pants and any chaps, my legs sweat, so I avoid wearing chaps except in cold weather.

Cabela's and Gander probably have the best selection...

Check out the chaps made by Wicks. They seem pretty good. The only thing I don't like about any of the chaps I've tried is the noise they make. "swish-swish-swish" It might be in my head, but I seem to have more trouble getting cooperative birds when I'm wearing them.

It would appear that Wick's is out of business. The LL Bean don't fill the bill as they do not zip all the way up the side. Like I originally said, the chaps MUST open all the way up the side. Looks like the ones from Browning are about my only choice.

A company called Stone Creek is using the Wick materials and patterns to make hunting clothes. They are located in PA.

I had a pair for years, loved em. Dam near every coon hunter I knew used them or the waders. Tough as hell and easy to move in. Hope these are the same.

A company called Stone Creek is using the Wick materials and patterns to make hunting clothes. They are located in PA.

I had a pair for years, loved em. Dam near every coon hunter I knew used them or the waders. Tough as hell and easy to move in. Hope these are the same.

FC, can't find a Stone Creek or any info on them. If you find a site for them post it here.

Will do after training. There are two places re making them. Not sure if they have every detail you want, but they are nice as hell if they make them the same. U don't even know you are wearing them. They stood up to every thing the woods tossed at you hunting at night chasing cood dogs. And barbed wire.

Will do after training. There are two places re making them. Not sure if they have every detail you want, but they are nice as hell if they make them the same. U don't even know you are wearing them. They stood up to every thing the woods tossed at you hunting at night chasing cood dogs. And barbed wire.

The ones I currently have were from a trapping and coon dog supply place called Bill Boatman & Co., but they went out of business in 2011.

I like the camo waterproof version.

Browning Chaps - My Vote

The pair from Uplanders you speak of would be my top choice. No zippers which is the first thing for me that would fail. I have owned carhart bibs and snowmobile bibs and anything zippered on this type of clothing just never seems to hold up.

The Turtleskin Chaps from Uplanders are the top choice on their site. The pricing I am puzzled about but states it because of some price they can't show. I don't know...call for a discounted price though. However they appear to have a zipper. 4 out of 5 star rating also.

Without seeing the price on the turtleskins, I still am not convince they would be my top choice. I don't have to worry about snake where I hunt so spending more then $50 would be overkill for me. Plus, the browning, it shows you can save nearly $19 right now.

I use Carhart for construction, the knees are wiped out and they basically wear away. Put em through hell. Never, ever have I had trouble with a zipper. Same with wick. The heavy duty zippers stood up to all I dished out. Which was a whole lotta coon hunting at night:thumbsup:. Now if they went to plastic cheep crap? I don't know. If they did, I would scrap them. Never have I had a plastic zipper hold up to any thing. From duffel bags to jackets. I don't have my wicks any more. They got stolen years back from my truck. Along with my wick waders. Been using brush pants since. But I am going to give a set of these a go again. I was bummed to see wick was out of business. Neoprene became the fashion for waders for warmth. But Tell ya what. Had the waders for 5-6 years in the woods at night, never ever leaked. Trashed them more then any good neo waders. The Neo's lasted me a year or 2 tops. 1 fence miss hap and there done. Every pair I owned so far has had me fishing soaking wet in cold water LOL. :D

Back