Can 11 year old hunt in SD?

eg92b16a2

I went on the SD parks and widlife website for licenses and only saw 12-16 need a license. Can my 11 year old son hunt with me without a hunter safety certificate? Like in KS they are not required to have hunter safety to hunt until 16. Trying to plan a trip to SD with my son for pheasant hunting.

Thanks.

I went on the SD parks and widlife website for licenses and only saw 12-16 need a license. Can my 11 year old son hunt with me without a hunter safety certificate? Like in KS they are not required to have hunter safety to hunt until 16. Trying to plan a trip to SD with my son for pheasant hunting.

Thanks.

As far as I know SD requires hunters to be a minimum of 12 years of age and possess a hunters safety certificate in order to gain licensure for hunting pheasants. ND has a slightly different law.

Contact SD Game anf Fish for official rule.

I went through this two years ago, MUST BE 12 AND HUNTER SAFETY CERTIFICATE. North Dakota, has a different rule, and a reciprical agreement with a number of other states that allow resident permit prices for youth hunters, don't remember the hunter safety requirements, but as I remember, the age group will fit you. Took my girls to hunter safety training at 12, now they want to hunt in Colorado, because it's the only state, I'm not age exempt! I have a 7 year old so I will take it with her, if I don't have age related dementia by then. Indian reservation rules within S.D. may be different, but I have heard a lot of negatives about hunting on them, harrasment, etc. maybe not the best enviornment for a youngster, that's why I haven't taken mine.

Here it is directly out of the SD Hunting Handbook:

Youth (12-15)
Nonresidents who are at least 12 years of age, or
will turn 12 by Dec. 31, may apply for or buy
licenses and may hunt in any open season
beginning Sept. 1. Those younger cannot hunt in
South Dakota.
To buy a license, nonresidents under 16 need a
copy of their hunter safety certificate or a copy of a
current or previous hunting license issued to them
from any state.

Take Him

Thanks.

Take him just don't have him carrie a gun. Would you let him drive there by him self? Before next year Get him in to a class, wont hurt to go with him. Old school is out when it comes to other peoples safety. And please make sure he has ear and eye protection. Have fun but keep him and other people safe!!! Ive seen to much tragedy not to but in.

Back