Cabela's Herter's Ammo

sneem

Cabela's has come out with a line of ammo under the Herter's name. Its made by Cheddite in Italy. Amongst the loadings they have 12 gauge Pheasant loads in various shot sizes and 1 1/4 oz of shot at 1220 fps. Right now its on sale for $59.95 for a flat of 10.
Anyone have any experience with these Herter's shells? I doubt there has been any use of the pheasant loads, but they have a full line of target loads, even some 16 gauge, that might indicate the quality of the line.
$6.00 a box is awfully tempting for full up pheasant shells.

herters

they wouldn't cycle in my auto,not enough powder? all other shellls,no problem. lots of powder left,very dirty. i finally gave them away.cabela's cheap crap in my opinion.

They are basic loads built with bargain components to a price point.

The 16 gauge offerings would not eject out of my Model 12...thick rim, I believe.
They did eject out of an Auto 5.
Should be no issue with a break-action gun but fit & try a box would be wise.

Keep this post going I am interested in how others feel the shells work? I am not into cheap shells if they don't perform, break or kill what I am shooting at. But if I can support my habit cheaper then I am all for it.

I bought a couple of flats of 16ga. 8's. Work fine in my over/under & pump. Break targets nicely when sent to the right address.

they wouldn't cycle in my auto,not enough powder? all other shellls,no problem. lots of powder left,very dirty. i finally gave them away.cabela's cheap crap in my opinion.

thanks for telling me I almost bought a case of 20 guage for my girlfriends auto 20 for clay shooting and quail hunting wont be buying that junk.

I had no problem with them cycling my oid Browning Double automatic. And its picky about shells. I wish I had more.

I shot several boxes out of my 16b at doves and didn't have any problems, neither did my wife with some 20's out of her O/U at both doves and clays. They are much cleaner than the Wally World promo Federals that everyone likes so well.
If I shot a 20b for pheasants I would give them a try!

AM

I've shot a flat of 8's and 7.5's through my benelli vinci and had no issue, don't know about being dirty as I haven't cleaned the vinci yet but they didn't seem abnormal. I shot a round of sporting clays today, again no issue. I will buy more, they are a good bang for the buck for targets at least.

I would want to pattern them (as usual) for a pheasant load just to double check, but I wouldn't have any issue using the 7.5's or 8's hunting at this point and would bet 4-6 are fine as well

Back