Burn/range management season

In my region, these management practices are not only beneficial, but also necessary. Woodland expansion is a significant problem on the Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska plains. Fire is the cheapest and most environmentally acceptable option to manage it. It costs but a few $ per acre compared to several hundred $ per acre for mechanical and chemical control has significant negatives for all the other broad-leafed plants in the habitat. In as much as the peak of the pheasant hatch is around June 10 here. Back dating the nesting and incubating puts the peak of the nest initiation about May 5. Therefore, all the fires conducted now and previously aren't affecting most of our breeding population significantly. Further, those that are laying will move over and re-nest.

Not managing habitat is one of the biggest threats to our upland bird populations in Kansas and surrounding states. The Quail Ecological Niche thread addresses how that affects our lower successional game species. Most of my burns are 50-80 acres, so displacement is easily managed by our mobile game bird species. This is hardly Armageddon class. This is management on 1/4 to 1/8 of a given grazing unit with the remainder available to nesting and territory establishment. One of the basic parameters of game management, or grass management for that matter, is maximizing solar utilization. Frequently here, in unmanaged or undermanaged habitats, the productivity of a certain tract may be reduced by the thatch and old growth left standing. Any solar radiation intercepted by that duff will result in 0 production in the environment. If you remember back to your food pyramid from basic biology in high school or grade school, the height of the pyramid is dependent upon how wide the base is. Since the base is dependent upon the amount of solar radiation converted into plant energy, it is important that plenty of solar energy is trapped in plants. By burning, we open up 100% of the leaf surfaces within the burn unit to solar reception.

Since we also know that our game birds need residual vegetation in some instances to construct nests, it is also important that some be available. This is a problem for prairie chickens in the Flint Hills where all the grass is burned for mile after mile. That is management for grazing income with no consideration made for the chickens. Management burns are a different animal. If one believes that nesting cover is all that is needed to make a population, you need to consider the difference between nesting cover and brood-rearing cover. They are not always the same animal. In may neck of the woods, when left alone, nesting cover quickly matures beyond being good brood-rearing cover. Too much grass or thatch quickly makes the stand a death-trap for broodlings and also interferes with their ability to catch the limited insect population that a habitat like that produces. Maintaining balance within a landscape between nesting, brood-rearing, escape, and feeding covers is what management is all about. Yes, you can look at a square foot within a burn and say "THAT" is not nesting habitat. However, it WILL be brood-rearing habitat by the time the brood hatches. They will utilize it then.

Bottom line is of course is results.
Prairie Drifter keep us posted on hunting opportunities for Pheasants, Prairie Chickens, Bob Whites etc.
For instance, correct please where I'm wrong? 4,700 some acres, what was the rooster harvest average these past few years on "your" management area?

Keep up the great work Troy, I wish you were managing the uplands on the 13,000 acre NWR just west of me.:cheers:

I know what my average is 20 miles west of PD's place,,and it hasn't been very good. You have to remember that Byron Walker is within 45 minutes of close to a half a million people. And when its good word travels fast. Without management the cedar and plumthickets would quickly takeover and render it unhuntable and upland birds populations would suffer. PD does the best with the resources he's given,, supported by sound management. And Even at that he busts his hump and has to beg, borrow, and steal to get them.

Browndog, you peeked:) Yeah, I often feel more like a national park than a wildlife area in that the human traffic really leaves it's mark. It would have been nice if they had moved the highway north 3 miles as was the cheapest option. That would have reduced our traffic significantly. For years, the bobwhite population has fluctuated in a 5 year cycle. I build a pop, folks find out about it, they kill most of them, and I'm in the cellar. Cycle starts over. This extended drought has elongated that cycle. That might say a while looking at how the neighbors have destroyed their rangeland. Quailhound, send me an app:)

Prairie Drifter, don't you be California Dreamin'.

Wish I could be burning a little this spring, but I am humping trying to replant failed trees/shrubs from last year, repair rodent damage to the drip tape, calve and farm. I have every terrace disked, so have fire blocks in place. I like to burn every third terrace. That leaves plenty cover, plus as you know my terraces meander all over the place giving the critters some good protection. Doubt if any burns will happen at the Ponderosa this spring, but if we get some rain in the next few days, it will be really tempting.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Maynard, I have plenty of annual leave on hand..... Hoping we all get some rain. Sounds like you might just get some today. On the other front, never shot one of those plume-headed quail:)

Yes, those are beautiful quail. Only thing the Byrd bunch has taken are the Bobs and the Cottontops.

Had to go out and check my burns after this rain. Tuesday's burn has some plants with 1/2 inch of growth. The burns from the 10th have some plants with 3 inches of growth. The earlier burns are wide awake and catching solar power and are well on their way to becoming cover again. The difference a few days makes is really neat to see. Yes, should have taken the camera. I'll see if I can get that done soon.

I'm always amazed how quickly a fire greens up it is literally days after. That black ash is such a great heat sink and warms the site to promote growth and germination. Glad to see u are getting some rain!

Expostfacto

I completed my spring burn plans Monday. Tuesday I was burning again on the next wildlife area east. I did finally get around today with the camera to document some of the burns. They are in varying stages of greenup with the Monday burns still black. You can see that the fire didn't get rid of the shrub thicket, just killed back the perimeter. You can also see the affects on cedars, thatch, and cut trees lying on the ground. The best reproductive success will occur in the first 3 years post-burn. This is somewhat dependent on rainfall and grazing. Some of the ungrazed grasslands can get too thick in the year of the burn. Grazing provides a number of benefits for quail. To graze with pheasants, care must be taken to leave a bit more cover. Management decisions are based on where the habitat is at currently and where you want it to be. The combination of fire and grazing can improve a site or, if done incorrectly, damage a site for bobwhite. Some neighboring acres on the private side of the fence are mostly uninhabitable by bobwhite due to years of overgrazing. I also included an adaptive niche mock up that might aide some folks in seeing where bobwhite actually fit in with plant succession.

Last edited:
I am going to have to put some cattle on my pasture soon. Ungrazed it gets too thick and is more of a fire hazard. Just got to fix some fence.
But my burn from last summer looks great, and the other 1/3 I burned this spring is greening up.

Yeah, Steve, it's hard to keep the structure and species components in balance without grazing in our rainfall belt. The cattle keep the grass from becoming too dominant and reduce thatch buildup as well. They promote a variety of forbs and provide a mosaic pattern by their grazing that the quail chicks thrive in. When you can be in brood-rearing cover one moment and, in just a few steps be in escape cover the next, survival is increased. One mistake to avoid is letting the guy doing the grazing to set the grazing rate and season. You need to get with a biologist or NRCS range guy and set up a system that meets your goals. All too often in a rental situation, the renter takes things too far to maximize their beef pounds and to hell with your goals. My contracts here on grazing go by the pound per acre going in. They have to weigh in and weigh out. No over-runs are allowed and, if the weather goes droughty, I have the option to require them to leave early to ensure fall/winter cover. I'd sure send you a copy of my lease should you want something to work from.

Thanks Troy.
I have my pasture enrolled in the Equip program. Basically I have to burn it in 1/3s, remove a bunch of hedge and cedar trees, and I am putting in a 4 acre pollinator plot. When I put cattle on the pasture it will be about a 1/2 stocking rate to start with. I have several people that I can work with on the cattle. Basically, I am growing quail and bird dogs, the cattle is a tool for me, not a source of income.

I have 2/3s of it burned, maybe 20% of the trees down that need cut, and started the prep work on the pollinator plot.

But the burn this spring was way to exciting. With no grazing on it for 2 years and not having been burn in what I would guess was 10 years, holly cow. We had some cedars go up like you would not believe. Got a 1/3 burned but not all was the 1/3 I had planned on. So the cedars in some key areas are coming down with the saw and being dragged into the middle of the burn area before the next burn.

I will see if I can get some pictures loaded. I have been in England all week and am currently sitting in JFK waiting a couple hours for my flight to Chicago.

Here are some pictures, you can see everything on the ground is burn. With the depth of the grass out there it was a wall of fire.

The area on the far right was not in the 1/3 i planned to burn this spring.... oh well.
20150326_1836201.jpg

A good cedar
20150326_1839401.jpg

Why some cedars blow up and other don'd burn is a mystery to me.
20150326_1836481.jpg

Back