Browning Maxus Hunter

JMc

Super Moderator
It's no secret that shotguns and 1911's are my kryptonite. So now, I'm considering trading one of my 1911's for a shotgun...heaven forbid! I have a Sig C3 that although very nice is the oddball in the safe next to a host of Colts. My shotgun collection is begging for a new buddy and the Maxus Hunter is available.

I have a Maxus in Black synthetic with 3.5" chambers but I'm wondering if any of you have shot the Hunter model (wood, engraving, etc.)? Let me know as I'm about to pull the trigger so to speak. If you don't and I can't hit a bird, I'm blaming all of you!...:)
JMc

Shhhh...don't be giving out my secrets.

Last edited:
I bought the Hunter last year and love it. I got the 3 1/2 inch with 28 inch barrels. Shot trap with it until I bought the Beretta DT-10. I have 8 or 10 flats through it so far. Everything from target 8s to 3 1/2 inch BBs. Shoots well, light, points great. No real recoil on pheasant loads, but the 3.5s let you know you touched the trigger, but are still manageable. I have used it on pheasant last year, doves, pass shooting ducks and geese, and quail. It shoots everything except Federal low base 6s. Trap loads were no problem, but the 6s would not feed. Tried them in an 11-87 and had the same issue so I think it was the shells.

JMc, i have a camo Maxus 26" 3" that i use for ducks and it fill's in nicely for stout 3" steel on pheasants when needed. Nice autos as you know.

I remember reading that the Hunter model had some loose forend issues early on, but Browning probably got that addressed. Just the same, check that out. Otherwise it should be stellar pheasant machine.

Maxus Hunter

I picked one up yesterday, I had it narrowed down to the A400, Benelli Montefeltro Silver, and the Hunter. The hunter felt better in my hands and I think it looks great as well. Also it was a little more affordable, I can't wait to get to the range and then out to the fields.

I like my beretta a400 a lot but I think Browning has the best looking of the modern autos with the finish on the wood maxus I've seen.

I can't believe how easy this thing is to break down and clean, if a I can do it anyone can, I think this they have an awesome design and the profile of the gun reminds me of my old BPS.

I sold a Benelli Montefeltro to buy the first Maxus Hunter in 28" I could find, and like it a lot. It points well, swings nice, and recoil is no longer a problem (unlike the Benelli). that includes those with late-season 3" #4's as well. It will also cycle 1 oz. target loads at 1200 fps, making it a gun for all seasons.

Back