Browning Maxus hunter vs the Browning Silver Lightning

I need help on my next shotgun purchase. I need to know which shotgun to get between 2 browning shotguns. the Maxus I know will prob be a better gun but is it that much better to pay about $300 more? I just want to know if the Silver is still a good gun or would you pay more for the Maxus? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I will mess you all up, I would wait for the new Auto 5 myself but none of them will let you down..hey their Browning's!! :cheers:

I would get the Maxus, it has a better gas system, speed load and a mag cut off, the silver is still a good gun, i just like a few of the maxuses extras. And yet the new A5 looks great as well.

I tried them all and despised automatics until I tried my uncles Maxus...now I have one sitting in the safe with a half dozen or so O/U's. The Maxus is the real deal. I love it.

Either one will be good for you. I went from a standard Silver to the Maxus for the mag cut-off and a few less ounces in weight.

I am more of a SxS and O/U guy, but after doing a bunch of research I got a Maxus for the occasional duck hunt. I love that gun! Handles great, easy to carry, always works. I've been using it for late season pheasants since loaning out my Browning Citori 12ga, and I am totally happy with how it carries and shoots for upland hunting. I do look a little odd walking through the fields with a camo'd gun, though.

I can't offer a comparison to any other auto loader, but I would get another Maxus without any hesitation. My only wish is that they bring out a 20ga version.

--shinbone

Hey KCowboy,
I sold my 25 year old Browning A5 3 years ago after getting a Maxus. I've shot it exclusively the last 3 years in the pheasant and dove fields and it's been flawless. Unlike my A5, I can shoot heavy hunting loads and light sporting clays loads with no adjustments. At 7 lbs, it's a lot nicer to carry than my 8.5 lb A5 (12G). With it's gas system and special recoil pad, recoil is hardly noticeable. Mine was from the first year and in camo. Be careful if you have to set it down in the field--I've had a few embarrasing sessions of looking for my gun after setting it down.

P.O.L.

Ha...don't let him kid you. It's not the camo the caused the lost Maxus; it's those 60 year old eyes...hehe! Sorry P.O.L.; couldn't resist the set up.
JMc

Back