Browning BSS 20 ga.

Dakotazeb

I bought a Browning BSS 20 ga. in the mid-70's and sold it about 10 years later. I've kicked myself ever since. It had 26" barrels and fixed chokes of IC/Mod. Used it for Ruffed Grouse hunting mostly but it was also a nice pheasant gun. Just wondering how many on this site own a BSS? Had to be one of the best built SxS's ever. Maybe a tad on the heavy side but not bad in a 20 ga.

We share a similar past, lol. I did the very same thing & during the exact same time frame. Selling the BSS was a mistake . . . similar to parting with several old cars that I had in bygone years, including 2 cherry '55 Chevy 2-door post sedans. I got dumber early I guess.:(

Never did find out what happened to my baseball card collection but I always figured my mother either threw them out or gave them away. I had hundreds of cards from back in the 50's. Mantle, Mays and many others. I often wonder how many rookie cards I had of future hall of famers??? :mad:

My cousin and I played hard with our cards from the 60s, I don't think they would be worth much.

I was a Yankee fan, I think I used most of the Twins cards for BB gun targets.

Can I say that ? Today a kid would be in therapy for years. Maybe I, never mind, too late.

Never owned a BSS but I'll never get rid of my Citori O/U. As far as cars I also had two 55 Chevy 2 door sedans. Turned one into what looked like a 53 Studebaker after I flipped it two times off an elevated highway. The other one I turned into a period correct gasser w/ radiused wheel wells, etc. I sold a 57 Corvette for $600 so my car stupidity far exceeds my gun dumbness. Past bad decisions are best when you learn your lesson but don't revisit the experience too much. Painful.

Last edited:
I was a Yankee fan, I think I used most of the Twins cards for BB gun targets.

I used my Yankee cards on the spokes of my bike! :)

I bought a Browning BSS 20 ga. in the mid-70's and sold it about 10 years later. I've kicked myself ever since. It had 26" barrels and fixed chokes of IC/Mod. Used it for Ruffed Grouse hunting mostly but it was also a nice pheasant gun. Just wondering how many on this site own a BSS? Had to be one of the best built SxS's ever. Maybe a tad on the heavy side but not bad in a 20 ga.

I have 2 12g BSS's, one has a selective trigger 1 doesn't. and 1 20g BSS. All fixed chokes in IC/Mod. they are great looking guns.

Jim

Last edited:
I have a later model BSS Sporter with 28" barrels. It was opened up to Skeet/IC, and it is my go-to bird gun for 90% of my hunting, and it points like a third arm. I paid decent money, $1800 about 4 years ago, and at the time that was a lot of money for me, but it just felt right and I haven't regretted it a lick.

I just this week bought a Charles Daly 500, and its very much the same gun with some minor differences. Need to get used to the pistol grip, but with IC/Mod choke and dual triggers, it will get a lot of use in the late season here in N. Ontario, and on our forays into the prairies for pheasants and sharptails. I got it for $400 bucks here in Canada, which feels like a steal. Also got a 1965 vintage 20 gauge Auto-5 from the same fellow, looking forward to some time carrying that one also.

At the Big Gun Show in Sioux Falls last winter I spotted a 20ga Sporter. No one at the table so I took a short walk and came back, knowing I would buy it at the right price. Unfortunately, another party was negotiating when I got back. Asking $1800 and sold $1500+tax. It was a clean gun and I would have offered $1600, maybe more. Ended up I spent $20 on another Little Bighorn book.

Here's one that I wouldn't mind having but I think the price is a little steep since it has an added recoil pad and has a not so popular choke combo at Cyl/Skeet. Actually that choke configuration would be great for me at my NSTRA trials. $1,500 and I'd buy it.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=497875733

Back