Browning BPS 16 ga.

I feel that BPS is an outstanding choice for your grandson. You stated that he is left handed.

My son-in-law came from a non shooting family. He started shooting while dating my daughter.

He is right handed but strongly left eye dominant. I convinced him to shoot from his left side.

I purchased a used Ithaca 37. I ordered and installed a left handed safety. He shoots the gun well and likes it a great deal.

The BPS has an ambidextrous tang safety an bottom ejection. It is a great gift, Grandfather.

I own two BPS'; a 16 Ga. with a 26" barrel and a 12 Ga. Upland Special that I replaced the too short 22" barrel with a 24" Hastings Wadlock11 barrel for better balance and handling. I like them both, but I agree that they are tad heavy. I think Browning has errored in not replacing the too heavy all steel receiver with an alloy one for weight reduction. I fear all are mute points anyway as Browning seems to be phasing out the BPS with the 16 Ga no longer offered and a rather plain version in 12 Ga now about it.

Regarding the 20 gauge BPS being almost as heavy as a 12, I can guarantee the 20 is lighter. My 20 gauge BPS is noticeably lighter. And the only difference between the 12 is it's a 22 inch barrel compared to a 26 inch on the 12. Those 4 inches certainly aren't where the weight is, so it's on a 20 frame.

At least on my 15 year old models anyway.

I forgot to add on my previous post that the 16 Ga. BPS was indeed on a 20 Ga. receiver, but for the 20 Ga. 3" shell. The receiver on the 16 Ga. is narrower than the 12 Ga., but I believe the same length.

Browning did a crappy job of marketing the 16 Ga. BPS to dealers and the public. I worked the gun counter of a major outdoor retailer and any of the models were mostly unavailable. I really wanted the Upland Special version with a 24" barrel, but they were always out or unavailable; thus I settled for the 26" barrelled Hunter model.

Got the BPS 16 ga. Upland Special today. It is in mint condition. Couldn't be happier. Going to make my grandson a great shooter for many years. There is no doubt that this is built on a 20 ga. frame. Just looking at it, it looks like a 20. I put on my digital scale and it came in at 7 lb. 1 oz. Noy bad, and certainly won't be an issue for my 15 year old grandson who's a good sized kid and been lifting weights for football.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20210814_102458415.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20210814_102458415.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 14
I hope your grandson enjoys his new shotgun.
New gun days are pretty exciting especially at 15.

The forend on this BPS seems loose. Is that just the way they are?
Hey Zeb, both my 12 and 20 do have some slack in them. I'm guessing when you grip it and wiggle it the pump will move like there's a bit of slack in it? If so I believe that's the way they are judging by both of mine being that way.

I have a 16 ga BPS Upland and that is normal for the forend to have some play.I also put a Beartooth neoprene sleeve from the recoil kit on the stock because the plastic butt plate would slip off my shoulder.

I always wanted to like Browning shotguns, BPS and Citori. They are fine guns and built like tanks, unfortunately, they are also as heavy as tanks. Before anyone starts in on me, my goto big game gun is a Browning, Stainless Stalker, LH, 30-06.

I always wanted to like Browning shotguns, BPS and Citori. They are fine guns and built like tanks, unfortunately, they are also as heavy as tanks. Before anyone starts in on me, my goto big game gun is a Browning, Stainless Stalker, LH, 30-06.
I think it really depends on the model. My Maxus is pretty light, sub 7 pounds for a 12 gauge. The A5 Sweet 16 is sub 6 pounds. I'd love to have their 20 gauge citori, just a hair above 5 pounds.

My dad's 89 Citori Upland Special is sub 7 pounds as well. My deer rifle is an A-Bolt. 308 micro hunter. Idk the weight specs but it's really light compared to my dad's previous deer rifle, a Remington 30-06. He bought himself an A Bolt now too.

But I agree, the BPS and some Citori models are heavy, as are some of their new Maxus shotguns. Over 7 pounds. Not sure how they made them heavier compared to my 10 year old Maxus.

I would agree with your assessment that "they are heavy as tanks" if you are talking about the 12 ga. BPS. But the 16 ga. and 20 ga. are right at 7 lbs. While that is heavier than a lot of shotguns today I don't feel that 7 lbs. is too heavy for an upland field gun. I'm 75 and have been carrying a 1960 Sweet Sixteen for years that is right at 7 lbs. I also have a new A5 Sweet that if much lighter and certainly easier for me to tote at my age. Guess it's about an individual's comfort level, physical condition, etc. Keep in mind that the felt recoil from that 7 lb. gun is a lot less than a 5 lb. gun.

...but you still must swing whatever you're shooting with enough "zest" to get the job done in that last hour of light at the end of a long hike, when good opportunities present themselves. You'll be carrying the gun, in a typical pheasant season, more than you'll be shooting it. Clay targets are another matter but for game, the successful shooter shoots what fits and is comfortable to carry.

I’ve found that shaving 12, even 8 oz, makes a great difference…I’ve also noticed that most of my misses occur after 30 or 45 minutes of walking…my guns have all gotten lighter over the past few years…but too light can be a problem for me!!! I guess that sweet spot is the key…

I’ve found that shaving 12, even 8 oz, makes a great difference…I’ve also noticed that most of my misses occur after 30 or 45 minutes of walking…my guns have all gotten lighter over the past few years…but too light can be a problem for me!!! I guess that sweet spot is the key…
I agree. But it seems this thread has gotten off track and now become a thread of what a gun should weigh. I'm not going to tell anyone what weight gun they should carry. Each to their own. If someone wants to carry an 8 lb. gun in the field that's fine by me. If you want to carry a 5-6 lb. gun that's also okay with me. We need to forget about trying to push our own personal opinions and preferences on others. We can offer advice but it's still up to the individual to decide for themselves.

True, Zeb, so true…I kind of treat these threads like conversations…starts here, goes there, may come back to the initial topic..anyway, new tangent, rain appears to be heading to SD today…fairly substantial! We can’t shoot these heavy, medium, or light guns without cover…hope this rain does fall, and also, give the cover a growth spurt!!!!✝️🍻🍾☀️

Back