Browning BPS 16 ga.

Dakotazeb

Came across a deal I couldn't refuse. I bought a BPS Upland Special 16 ga. Actually buying it for my grandson who is a lefty. I've never owned a BPS but did have a friend that had one in 12 ga a number of years ago. He had nothing but trouble with it and finally traded it off. Just wondering what other BPS owners experience has been.

I used a BPS for years. I have a 20 and a 12. Myself, I loved them. Never had an issue with it at all other than when I was young, I couldn't always slide the pump on my 12 fast and hard enough and would get the gun in a funky situation where the shell was trying to eject the spent shell and kick up the new shell. But I learned quickly to rack the pump harder. My 12 is a tad on the heavy side, at least compared to my Browning Maxus. However the guns are 15-18 years old now so a newer one may weigh less. Fired alot of rounds through my 12 gauge before I bought my auto. Should be a great gun for him.

I'm left handed and the BPS has been my go-to shotgun for decades, particularly for waterfowl. I would guess I've owned 8 or so over the years. IMO they are the best LH friendly shotgun, but they are also a very old design and with the bottom eject action, by definition one of the most complex pump shotguns ever made. As such they have some quirks & design flaws.

First off, they are made primarily from steel so they are heavy compared to most any other current production shotgun. I'm sure you already noticed how heavy the Upland Special is for it's size, I believe they are 7.5-8 lbs in 12 gauge. My 3.5" 12 gauge with synthetic stock & forearm comes in around 8.5 lbs or a touch more. Not an issue in a goose blind and helps soak up recoil, but not optimal for a couple miles of walking up roosters.

When the action is cycled the fired round ejects and the new round isn't released from the magazine onto the shell carrier until approximately the last 1/4" of pump travel. You can slowly cycle the action and see how this works. Because of this, it takes some practice not to short shuck a BPS, particularly when like me you use primarily 3" shells in one chambered for 3.5". On the plus side, the bottom eject protects the action from the elements and empties eject right at your feet.

Putting a BPS back together after taking it down for a thorough cleaning is a PITA compared to any other shotgun that comes to mind, far too much for me to describe here. Suffice to say it is not intuitive. There are videos on Youtube that show how to do it. One tip, the half moon pin in the trigger group has to be perfectly lined up with the grooves in the receiver or you'll never get it in the action. The secret is the pin can be turned by hand to line up. I've known instances of guys not figuring this out and taking their BPS to a gunsmith to put it back together.

My biggest peeve with maintaining the BPS is the magazine tube and tube stop. For reasons no one has ever been able to explain to me (and I've called Browning about it) the magazine tube is made of ridiculously thin steel, uses a friction fit tube stop, and has extremely fine tube cap threads. I suspect it has to do with how old the design is. If they ever changed this to a tube as robust and KISS simple as that on an 870, I would never complain about maintaining a BPS again, and if it were an upgrade option I would send my BPS to the factory tomorrow.

To take the tube spring out to clean (the spring and inside of the tube rusts if you don't do it periodically) requires the tube stop be removed from the tube mouth via a large C-ring pliers to compress it or prying. Of course, no one has this tool, so the stop usually gets pried out with a screw driver which invariably damages the thin steel/threads at the mouth of the tube. Again, w/o the correct tool, after cleaning the stop gets tapped back into place, then the mouth of the tube is sort of peened back in to retain the stop. If you are lucky, with several tried you can get the tube cap screwed back on. If you're ham handed and dinged up the mouth of the tube too badly you won't be able to get the cap screwed on, so get thee to a gunsmith for a new mag tube.

The fly in the ointment is that we lefties don't have a lot of options when it comes to shotguns. We either shoot right handed shotguns (as a kid who grew up in the 60s when LH shotguns didn't exist then later as a 40 year LEO where RH 870s were our standard heavy weapon, I learned to run a RH pump shotgun to the point that I find a LH shotgun clumsy), or we can go with the cheap LH 870 or Mossy or a ridiculously expensive LH auto. Given that, the BPS is the best LH user friendly shotgun out there...

Last edited:
I'm also a lefty and I've found that a BPS is almost more suited to a lefty than a righty. The pump release is on the left side of the gun and my index finger can easily push the release when ejecting. A righty would have to reach under and hit the same release. I'm sure a righty finds that normal, but as a lefty, it's in the perfect spot.

I've learned to use my Maxus RH as a lefty. I flipped the safety around so the only thing I have to deal with is shells flying by my face but I never notice it in the heat of the moment.

I've had a 16 gauge, 28" barreled BPS for several years now. It is a very reliable shotgun, but it is noticeably heavier than the other 16's I have--the Merkel 1620 weighs about 6 lbs., the new Browning A5 about 5 lbs. 14 ounces, the Model 12 is heavier (over 6 lbs, don't know exactly) and the Belgian Auto-5 Sweet 16, which I hardly ever shoot, is heavier than the Model 12. The BPS is heavier than all of these. Thus, I rarely shoot it in the field and usually use it for skeet and trap because it swings so positively and keeps the recoil down due to the increased weight.
If Browning had made the BPS on a 20 gauge frame it would have been a bigger seller.

BPS is the best pump shotgun out there. Tougher than tough. It handles ND fine silt, cold and snow well.

I can strip it down to parts and reassemble pretty easy. I guess I will admit a few of the parts are not easily reinstalled if you are not familiar with the BPS (per LABS comments). You tube solves everything with a little patience.

The 20 ga. micro is great little starter gun. Especially for a young left handed shooter.

Most of my fair weather hunting is with by Beretta auto or an OU, but if it is cold, snowy, rainy or dirty ... the BPS is in the field. Mostly waterfowling so weight is not the deciding factor. Kill many a spring turkey with my BPS 12 and a turkey choke.

Dakota--I beg to differ; I don't believe the 16 gauge BPS is built on a 20 gauge frame; you can check with the "experts" at www.16ga.com. I'd get a hernia carrying my 16 ga. 28" BPS in the field all day. I just weighed my own gun and it weighs 7.7 lbs. which would be damned heavy for a 16 on a 20 gauge frame. In any case, it's too heavy, for me anyway, to be carrying across the typical CRP field all day.

A buddy of mine had a BPS Upland Special in 16. Definitely NOT a boat anchor. It had an English grip and felt very lively. I reached out to him to see if he still had it when Dakota Zeb was looking for one, but he had sold it.

Some BPS are made on the 20 gauge frame.
The upland special is listed at 6 lb 13 oz.

BPS is the best pump shotgun out there. Tougher than tough. It handles ND fine silt, cold and snow well.

I can strip it down to parts and reassemble pretty easy. I guess I will admit a few of the parts are not easily reinstalled if you are not familiar with the BPS (per LABS comments). You tube solves everything with a little patience.

The 20 ga. micro is great little starter gun. Especially for a young left handed shooter.

Most of my fair weather hunting is with by Beretta auto or an OU, but if it is cold, snowy, rainy or dirty ... the BPS is in the field. Mostly waterfowling so weight is not the deciding factor. Kill many a spring turkey with my BPS 12 and a turkey choke.
Is it really better than the model 12 Winchester?

Dakota--I beg to differ; I don't believe the 16 gauge BPS is built on a 20 gauge frame; you can check with the "experts" at www.16ga.com. I'd get a hernia carrying my 16 ga. 28" BPS in the field all day. I just weighed my own gun and it weighs 7.7 lbs. which would be damned heavy for a 16 on a 20 gauge frame. In any case, it's too heavy, for me anyway, to be carrying across the typical CRP field all day.
Read this article. There a also several others on the web that state the 16 ga. is based on the 20 ga. frame. Browning site says the weight of a 16 ga. Upland Special with 26" barrel is 6 lb. 13 oz. I haven't got mine yet but will weigh it when I do.

Maybe the newer Upland Specials are lighter, every one I ever picked up was a load for it's size, but they were 12 gauge as I recall.

One of those reassembly PITAs is keeping the spring steel shell holders in their slots on either side of the receiver while you struggle getting the aforementioned trigger group to seat. This is such a well known problem that there is an aftermarket tool made to hold them in place. I got mine from Brownell's, and it works well.

Speaking of those shell holders, when they get worn then the BPS will develop a feed timing issue, for lack of a better term. You'll know it when you cycle the action and the live round gets launched out of the mag tube onto your feet before the shell carrier can catch it. It's easily fixed by replacing them. I will advise that it sometimes takes a bit or polishing with a fine stone to get the engagement right, so if you aren't comfortable with that kind of basement gunsmithing it's best to have a gunsmith TCO it...

Last edited:
I've had a 16 gauge BPS for a few years. Solid and reliable. Weighs a bit much at 7 lbs but perfect for waterfowl and is a reliable back up for pheasants. The only problem I've had is that when using Fiocchi shells they often fail to pump out of the chamber. Never had problems with winchester or federal thus, I only use federal in it at this point. Plus, those shells are available from the company itself.

The 16 is too heavy for vigorous field work in a 26 or 28" configuration, unless you are a lot bigger or stronger than I am.. That's why you don't find too many around today. If you peruse the www.16 ga..com forum, at the time that gun came out, there were numerous complaints about the weight. Browning has the technology to make a lighter one, and I don't see why they don't. Better yet, bring back the BSS in 16 gauge on a properly scaled frame and with Invectors.

I guess I'm at a loss on why people think a 7 lb. gun is too heavy to carry in the field. I've been toting around 7-8 lb. guns for over 60 years. At 75 years of age I still carry my 1960 Sweet Sixteen that comes in at 7 lb. 3 oz. My 16 ga. Citori is 6 lb. 10 oz. I will admit that my new A5 Sweet Sixteen at under 6 lbs. is an easy carry. Man, if you can't carry a 7 lb. gun in the field you better lift some weights and get in shape. :)

Never said I couldn't--but why would anyone in their right mind WANT to--when other options are available that leave a hunter fresh enough to swing that gun adroitly on that last rooster flush of the day? If you've been carrying 7 to 8 lb. guns for over 60 years--maybe it's time to earn new tricks...

Back