Browning A5 magnum 20 value

quail hound

My uncle has a nice magnum 20ga Belgium a5 that he wants to sell and even though I'm not much for autos I hate to see a gun leave the family. So, what do you guys think its worth? I want to make him a good offer on it.

20140831_205143_zpse22126f7.jpg

20140831_204942_zps33c5585a.jpg

20140831_204933_zps229dd7fc.jpg

Also, where is the choke stamped on these guns? My uncle says it's a full choke but its steel proofed? I can't seem to find the choke stamp on it.

I found one gun - (PA) for $995. Another gun in MT. for $1995. Seems to depend on condition and demand. There are severel gun brokers on the net - might be a good source to check...

Just before the words "Special Steel" there should be a * stamped into the barrel.

* = Full
** = Mod
**- = IC

As far as value I would estimate it to be worth $1,000 to 1,500. So if uncle will sell it to you for $1,000 or a little less it would be a good deal.

Just remember, with these older Belgium made A5's you cannot shoot steel shot through them. Especially with a Full choke.

I just fold an A5 got $550 complete with extended chokes.
It was a Miroku however not an FN
But it is steel approved.
If you are looking at the "special steel" designation that foes not mean it is steel approved .
DT

Thanks guys. Uncle said $700 and I thought that was low for how good of shape its in, its basically new except for two small scratches on the stock and its hardly been shot. I'm going yo try to hit a few doves with it tomorrow morning. :cheers:

a5

on the internet go to gunsamerica and gunbroker, on those sites you can go to browning direct and not have to look at all the other guns, think you find a whopping diff. between fn and japan, japan value a lot less but likely a better gun. condition is everything, full choke would make the gun a little less as would a 30" barrel

cheers

I'm seeing them for anywhere from $800-$2,000. This gun really is almost brand new, the guy my uncle bought it off of purchased it new and only used it a couple of times. It has a 28", vent rib, full choke barrel and even though some might not like the idea I would have no problem having it opened up or tapped for choke tubes.

I'm seeing them for anywhere from $800-$2,000. This gun really is almost brand new, the guy my uncle bought it off of purchased it new and only used it a couple of times. It has a 28", vent rib, full choke barrel and even though some might not like the idea I would have no problem having it opened up or tapped for choke tubes.

I believe that browning marked their chokes with stars, one being full. anyway, a number of ways to look at the purchase. if it is mostly mint condition, doing anything to the gun will lower it's value, so therefore it is just good to look at. if you plan on using it cause you really like the gun then change the chokes, if you open it to say mod. you could do it and probably no one would care or be the wiser, if you don't care about the future of the gun then choke tubes are the way to go if the barrels will allow them to be installed without using he thin wall tubes. just recently a jap gun sold for about $1450 boxed. if identical this one would be worth another $300 or so. when you look at the gun do so in good light and be really careful at what you are seeing, because the diff. between a mint gun and a fabulous 97% or almost brand new could be as much as a 1/3 less and maybe more. the other thing, remember it is only money, but in a friendly sort of purchase I think you are looking about $1200 if the condition is there. good luck. my dove didn't fly well

cheers

If I buy it it will definitely be a shooter and I agree, it's only money. Best flight of doves I've seen in 5yrs out here, the first 45 mins of light was crazy. I got my 15, not great shooting today on my part though I must admit.

Robert,

Buy that gun for 700. Thats a great price. Doves here where not flying. Still managed 5 morning doves, 7 white wings, and 3 collared doves. All of them where singles. I think the rains and monsoons sent the doves to mexico. Worst opening day ever.

The lowest powered field loads the gun will operate with, are 1oz. with the friction breaks(rings) set for light loads. You can put a film of oil on the mag tube to help with reliable function with light loads. Just be careful if hunting where there;s a lot of dusty conditions. You don't want the film of oil to become gritty. $700 is a very good price if the gun is in any shape at all.

BROWNING CHOKES AND THEIR CODES (ON REAR LEFT-SIDE OF BARREL)

* designates full choke (F).

*- designates improved modified choke (IM).

** designates modified choke (M).

**- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

**$ designates skeet (SK).

*** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

Good hunting everybody

I called Browning a few years back and asked about shooting steel through a 1948 Superposed 12 I had at the time - they said no steel.

Also, where is the choke stamped on these guns? My uncle says it's a full choke but its steel proofed? I can't seem to find the choke stamp on it.

I believe the choke is stamped on the rear of the barrel, but you have to take the gun apart to see it. On my old browning 16 gauge that's where they are, mine was made in 1954.

Also what guns are selling for is a terrible way to value a gun. You should use what guns have sold for as a better estimation of their value. Sometimes hard information to gather, but you can use gunbroker to help find out this info.

I think $700 is a great price, especially with the family connection. He is probably really happy You want it, and that it's staying in the family too!

* Full
*- Improved Modified
** Modified
**- Improved Cylinder
**$ Skeet
*** Cylinder Bore

Last edited:
Back